The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 25, 2010, 04:28 PM   #51
duckslayr

I would take a look at the German Wirehair, or other similar versatile gun dog breeds. I currently have both a lab and a German Shorthair Pointer. I will tell you right up front that you won't be able to beat the lab for an all around water dog/family pet.

My shorthair, as well as most of the versatile breeds, are inherently more "high maintenance" than labs around the house. This can be a challenge that will require an understanding and cooporative spouse, as well as plently of time investment to train your young mallard muncher to behave.

The up-side to their obsessive personallities is in the uplands, where they really shine. After spending ten years hunting behind only labs, my first shorthair was an eye opening experience in hunting the open high desert of Central and Eastern Oregon. These dogs never stop! You begin to understand why they can be a bit obnoxious around the house when you see the kind of energy these little rockets have!

I say wirehair/griffon/ect. because the courser coated dogs definitly seem more at home in the water, particularly in cold weather. What ever the breed, make sure you get good instruction on introducing your pup to water, and get them around water early and often.

If I never or rarely hunted uplands, I would without a doubt stick with a lab. The shedding and size will be minor annoyances compared to the "high maintenance" commonly found with the other common water dog breeds. What ever you choose, spend lots of time with pup, and get him in the field often, and you'll have a hunting buddy who always wants to go. Good luck and have a blast!

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 25, 2010, 05:50 PM   #52
markj

The cocker is coming back as far as field work goes. I have a shorthair is black from Germany, his coat is thicker than my FT type dogs, he loves the cold. I would look for this if I was waterfowling a lot it is why I got him.

I hunted over my pit, he would lead me to deer every time. We also ran them italian racing dogs on yotes, they get one to go to ground then the pit did his thing.

hunted in Fla with some cousins of mine, ran pits on hogs, they tore the hog apart. A pit can do a lot of damage, mine never hurt a human tho. Still wouldnt recommend them in this day.

You are from Missouri, A guy name of Sam Clemens wrote a book about some kids, they got some reward money and ol huck was gonna go buy a pit bull dog with his. Lets not forget spanky and his friends, that dog was a pit.

I watch a show called pit boss, I respect the work they are doing. I may go back to pits after my son gets bigger. He needs to know how to train and handle a dog like a pit.

Neighbor has a mastif, now that dog scares the crap outta me when he runs to me while on my motorcycle, he could knock me over easily. His bite is way harder than any pit too.
Old February 25, 2010, 08:53 PM   #53
Singlesix1954

Standard Poodel

The Poodel was bred as a duck dog. Even the goofy haircut is a hunting ap. Trey are smart and eager to make thier owner happy.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954

Tags
dog , fowling , hunting , water