The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 16, 2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Gavlan

which importer ?

Hi folks , soon ( I hope ) I will be able to get a new revolver and I'm looking at a 2nd mod dragoon , or 1st , or 3rd heck I haven't made my mind up yet but anyway I looked at Taylors offerings and I also have been looking at some Cimmeron Uberti's that Buffalo arms has.
My big concern is the after sales service at these two companies, which one has the best rep as far as warranty and customer service ?.
I would be extremely annoyed and homicidal if I spent my hard earned coin on a gun that is " not up to par " only to be told " we can't help you, call Uberti" ect, ect,.
Thank you ladies and gents ..
Old September 16, 2016, 03:56 PM   #2
jackmoser65

Cimarron and Taylor's both have good customer service.
Old September 16, 2016, 10:03 PM   #3
salvadore

Cimarron has good customer service?
Old September 16, 2016, 10:52 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Buffalo Arms are good to deal with. Even so, I've been more than happy with my LGS. I've never paid retail through him.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 17, 2016, 06:48 AM   #5
Gavlan

Ok thanks fella's ,
The price difference , for the same uberti dragoon ( any mod) between Buffalo Arms ( Cimarron ) and taylors is about $ 50 in favor of Buffalo arms .
something about saving enough money to buy 500 caps make me all fuzzy inside,,,,,
Old September 18, 2016, 11:32 AM   #6
jackmoser65

Quote:
Cimarron has good customer service?
When I used it they did.
Old September 18, 2016, 09:46 PM   #7
drobs

Do the Uberti Dragoons also suffer from the short arbor issue that plagues the rest of the Uberti open top Colt line?
Old September 19, 2016, 12:22 AM   #8
Model12Win

Cimarron will be made to better fit and finish.
Old September 19, 2016, 05:07 AM   #9
45 Dragoon

All Uberti's arbors are short, as well as 2nd, 3rd gen Colts, ASM's, ASP's . . . . pretty much all open tops except newer Piettas (which puts older Piettas in the short arbor boat!).
It's best to get them "corrected" before shooting . . . . . especially with heavy loads.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old September 19, 2016, 08:03 AM   #10
noelf2

I'm still skeptical about the arbors on newer Piettas. Are they really taking the time and attention to that detail?
Old September 19, 2016, 03:04 PM   #11
drobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 Dragoon
All Uberti's arbors are short, as well as 2nd, 3rd gen Colts, ASM's, ASP's . . . . pretty much all open tops except newer Piettas (which puts older Piettas in the short arbor boat!).
It's best to get them "corrected" before shooting . . . . . especially with heavy loads.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
What date is considered a newer Pietta?
Larsen E. Pettifoger articles are dated 2008.

Pietta 2008
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...3&topic=5659.0

Uberti 2008 - today - short arbors:
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...ers_Part_1.pdf

In my limited experience - Pietta makes a better gun. Much easier to fit a bolt than it is to add length to an arbor.

Last edited by drobs; September 19, 2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old September 19, 2016, 04:40 PM   #12
45 Dragoon

Welp, I don't really know, but since I fit them closer than factory anyway, it's not a factor for me. Bottom line is, if you can tap the wedge in and lock up the cylinder, the arbor is too short. If (as in the newer Piettas) you can't and the clearance is greater than. 0025", then you close it down.
An easy check is to drop a washer down the arbor hole and assemble the gun. If you can, the arbor isn't bottoming out in the hole.

Not sure what you mean by "easier to fit a bolt than to add length to an arbor ". The two are not related. And, I don't add length to the arbor, I fill in the arbor hole to meet the arbor.

The Pettifogger articles are a great explanation of what the problem is, I just like my way better than the one described.

I think the Uberti products are a better quality of material as well as the action parts are parts Sam Colt himself would be amazed at. They are much better than the '70s style parts that Pietta uses not to mention, Uberti has the lines of the originals down since they were the source for most of the 2nd and so called 3rd gen Colts.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; September 19, 2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old September 20, 2016, 04:57 AM   #13
Kilibreaux

Well there are basically three companies that build BP replica firearms, and Taylors isn't one of them.

Uberti, Pietta, and the Spanish version "Jukor." Everything else is an aftermarket add-on label.

I might be wrong, BUT I remember years ago ordering a genuine COLT 1849 Pocket that is built and timed EXACTLY with the same slight cylinder offset as my various Uberti revolvers! Yes the COLT finish was superb, but I think the base gun was produced by Uberti under license and Colt simply did the final finish...if that.

Having said that, Pietta and Uberti ARE different entities producing distinctly different products and this can be readily discerned by inspection and comparison. I tend to view Uberti as being closest to the original Colt pattern, with Pietta coming in second. These are Italian makers, but Spain is also making BP period guns that are imported under domestic names. The old "Dakota Arms" was of Spanish build and quite well done.

Right now is the "Golden Age" of black powder replicas because of huge demand commanding prices that make it profitable to build quality pieces.
Old September 20, 2016, 06:45 PM   #14
Gavlan

Kilibreaux , Neither Cimarron or Taylors are makers as you mention but I was just curious as to which Importer had the best customer service (they both sell Uberti Dragoons) just in case I get a lemon, not likely but knowing my luck it could happen,,,lol,,,,
Old September 20, 2016, 08:29 PM   #15
Stormson

I got an 1860 Pietta Snub Nose (3" barrel) through Taylor's and have not been disappointed at all.

I was told that each and every gun that passes through them goes to their gunsmith and is checked out first. I had to wait a little for that particular model simply because its a limited run item. After they finally got the shipment in from Italy, they still hadnt shipped a week later... A quick call confirmed that, yup, sure enough it was waiting its turn to be inspected and passed or fixed before it would be allowed to ship.

Havent had a single problem out of it yet, but if I do I have no doubt that they will make it right.
Old September 20, 2016, 11:32 PM   #16
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Cimarron will be made to better fit and finish.
Howdy

That is a myth. I remember when I first started shooting CAS everybody was claiming that Cimarron had different specs and the guns they imported were of better quality. Not true. They all come off the same assembly line, there is nothing, other than some different markings, that sets Cimarron's guns apart from anyone else's.

As a matter of fact, I used to have a Cimarron Cattleman that had the worst trigger pull of any single action revolver I ever owned, and to top it off, the barrel was not screwed in properly and the front sight leaned decidedly to one side.

They are all the same. Go with the importer who has the best price and the best service policy. For what it's worth, I have experienced the best service from Taylors.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; September 20, 2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old September 21, 2016, 11:39 AM   #17
H.W. French

Gavlan, The fit/finish of the importers, Cimarron and Taylor's, are pretty much equal in my experience. I have encountered excellent and so-so examples of each. I shoot Cimarrons mainly because I prefer the style and placement of their stampings over the others. I have found Cimarron's CS to be of little use should there be an issue. I, however, am fortunate enough to have an excellent Cimarron dealer rep for this region who will go to great lengths to help a shooter out.
Like you I am also thinking about a Dragoon, specifically a 3rd model. We will be headed to VA for the holidays and I am planning to swing by Winchester to check out Taylor's inventory. I have heard good things about their CS but have not experienced it for myself.
The guys at Buffalo Arms are top notch in my book. I have ordered several Cimmy cap and balls from them. They were all excellent examples.
Either way, they are all Italian repro's and will likely need a little TLC on the inside to make them hum. It's part of the "fun" .