The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 13, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Skans

Gander Mountain - Firearms Training Seminars?

I was at Gander Mountain yesterday and saw that they are getting ready to expand a huge area of the store exclusively for firearms training courses and seminars. Is this a local thing or are they going into this in all of their stores?'

I just found this interesting and wondered if anyone else knew anything about this.
Old December 13, 2010, 11:05 AM   #2
lashlaroe

Well, since I don't know where you're from I can't answer whether it's local or not, but I can tell you that the store in Lake Mary, Florida is doing so. So if your store isn't the same one, then I'd guess it's more than just a local thing.

In fact, when I was in there I was "engaged" by the gentleman who is expecting to teach the training there. He was quite insistent that no other training could be as good as the courses they are going to offer. I didn't argue, mostly since I had other sheep to herd at the time.

He expected that they would be open for training in January or thereabouts.

As much as I believe that there is good in every person, I'm not so naive as to think that all people are essentially good. Evil and evil people exist. Deny that fact at your own risk.
Old December 13, 2010, 11:10 AM   #3
4runnerman

Our store here in Fargo ND.Has classes about 3 times a year.
Old December 13, 2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Pahoo

I am aware that some of the stores, in Iowa have been holding these classes for a number of years, especially with the new changes next month.
Many conservation groups are also sponsoring these new classes, mostly with certified NRA, in structors. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old December 13, 2010, 11:36 AM   #5
lashlaroe

Quote:
I am aware that some of the stores, in Iowa have been holding these classes for a number of years, especially with the new changes next month.
Many conservation groups are also sponsoring these new classes, mostly with certified NRA, in structors. ......
Funny you mention the certified NRA instructors. This trainer here insisted that he was "state certified" and more than once implied that it was better than NRA certification.

I don't even know what "state certified" means, so let it go.

As much as I believe that there is good in every person, I'm not so naive as to think that all people are essentially good. Evil and evil people exist. Deny that fact at your own risk.
Old December 13, 2010, 11:43 AM   #6
oneounceload

Northern FL store has had them since they opened here about 3 years ago
Old December 13, 2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Skans

For clarification, the Lake Mary store was the one I was referring to.
Old December 13, 2010, 12:22 PM   #8
lashlaroe

Ah! So we must live close.

Old December 13, 2010, 03:32 PM   #9
TailGator

I would imagine that "state certified" in Florida means that the training is sufficient for the state CCL. But IIRC, so is the NRA course.
Old December 13, 2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Skans

Quote:
In fact, when I was in there I was "engaged" by the gentleman who is expecting to teach the training there. He was quite insistent that no other training could be as good as the courses they are going to offer. I didn't argue, mostly since I had other sheep to herd at the time.
I don't know how good their training is going to be - "good training", in my opinion, is all about the quality of the instructor and the style of training you seek to or anticipate receiving. But, the new facility addition was large and looked top-notch - nicer than anything I've seen before. Unfortunately I just got to peek in at it.