The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2010, 08:17 AM   #51
rjarms

Rem 870

Err I cringe whenever I see high power rounds in a shotgun for home defense. A Rem 870 loaded with bird shot is sufficient, if pellets miss you don't want them flying through walls. Just the standard walmart 870 express Magnum.
Old November 11, 2010, 08:58 AM   #52
spacecoast

Quote:
A Rem 870 loaded with bird shot is sufficient
If you check the pattern on your shotgun, you may find that bird shot spreads very rapidly compared to buckshot, at least that's what mine does (the aforementioned 12-gauge 870 Wingmaster with 18.5" barrel). I'm not comfortable that a through-the-kitchen-and-across-the-family-room round of birdshot would be sufficient to end a threat quickly, especially through heavy clothing.

#7 Birdshot at 20 feet -

00 Buckshot at 20 feet (2 rounds, COM and shoulder). Ignore the circled holes -

Last edited by spacecoast; November 11, 2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added clarification on shot pictures
Old November 11, 2010, 11:50 AM   #53
Stevie-Ray

Spacecoast

Very eye-opening, to somebody that is currently looking for a shotgun and knows little about them, thanks.
Old November 11, 2010, 12:06 PM   #54
Renfield

Winchester 1300 > every other shotgun

loaded with number 4 buckshot

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old November 11, 2010, 12:42 PM   #55
GeauxTide

870 3" with 7+1. Have 5 Federal 000 Buck mounted on the stock and the gun is stoked with #7.5 bird loads.
Old November 11, 2010, 01:00 PM   #56
zippy13

GeauxTide,
There's a vast difference between your 000 Buck at the ready and the #7-1/2s (Heavy Trap loads?) in the mag. Some would argue that shot of that size isn't appropriate for HD. I'm curious, did you select the lighter loads first to avoid over-penetration, or what?
Old November 11, 2010, 01:40 PM   #57
spacecoast

Quote:
Very eye-opening... thanks
Stevie-Ray -

No problem, I wanted to test the "even birdshot is a solid column of lead/steel at HD distances" theory for myself, and was a bit surprised at the discrepancy. At 30 feet the buckshot spreads from a fist-sized clump at 20 feet to one about as big as your open hand. Pretty effective in groups of 9, even if they are only 50 grains each.
Old November 11, 2010, 02:07 PM   #58
mavracer

Quote:
I wanted to test the "even birdshot is a solid column of lead/steel at HD distances" theory for myself, and was a bit surprised at the discrepancy.
you should check out the lack of penatration too.
http://www.thehighroad.us/showpost.p...18&postcount=1
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 11, 2010, 09:19 PM   #59
h20man

Remington 870 for me with 00 buck. A handgun for home defense in my home makes more sense though but I have the shotgun if needed
Old November 11, 2010, 11:23 PM   #60
Crankylove

Quote:
I don't understand why a person would not want a shot gun as a go to gun.

I do think for shooting in close quarters a 26" barrel would be less maneuverable so I agree about switching to s shorter barrel.....................So the question remains if the shotgun is not your go to gun what is?

I don't use the shotgun as my primary because I live in a two bedroom condo right now. Lots of corners and short hallways. Throw in lots of furniture packed in small rooms, and it doesn't leave lots of room to work with a 26" barreled long gun.

My go-to right now is my every day carry gun, a Springfield G.I. in .45 Auto. I am looking for a 18-20" barrel (or a 21" off of a youth model), but those selling a used barrel want $200, and a new one is $225-250 when I can find one.........I only paid $230 for the shotgun brand new. When I find a shorter barrel, the shotgun will get bumped up a notch in the Home Defense weapons ranking, but until then, I will stick with my pistol.
Old November 11, 2010, 11:30 PM   #61
silvercorvette

Quote:
I don't use the shotgun as my primary because I live in a two bedroom condo right now. Lots of corners and short hallways. Throw in lots of furniture packed in small rooms, and it doesn't leave lots of room to work with a 26" barreled long gun.

My go-to right now is my every day carry gun, a Springfield G.I. in .45 Auto. I am looking for a 18-20" barrel (or a 21" off of a youth model), but those selling a used barrel want $200, and a new one is $225-250 when I can find one.........I only paid $230 for the shotgun brand new. When I find a shorter barrel, the shotgun will get bumped up a notch in the Home Defense weapons ranking, but until then, I will stick with my pistol.
I agree with you that the 26" shotgun is not as good as the Springfield, the Springfield is the better choice, Trying to move around with a long barrel gun puts you at a disadvantage.
Old November 12, 2010, 12:02 AM   #62
Crankylove

I have the utmost respect for a scatter gun at close range, its just doesn't work too well for me right now. At this point, there are also two of my nieces and my brother's baby-momma sleeping on the couch in the other room (talk about a soap opera........ ), so the shotgun would have to be secured in the safe every morning before work, and taken out again when I got home, whereas the pistol goes with me when I leave anyway, so I don't have to worry about the kids getting into trouble with a gun while the baby-momma is too busy watching t.v. and checking Facebook to watch them.
Old November 12, 2010, 06:22 PM   #63
jammin1237

winchester defender 1300 with win double x magnum 3" 00 buck loads... my walls are about 1" thick plaster...

cheers
Old November 13, 2010, 11:09 PM   #64
motorhead0922

Mossberg 500 20 ga, 18.5", 5+0 of #2 shot, safety off.
Old November 14, 2010, 01:36 AM   #65
Cruncher Block

Quote:
I don't understand why a person would not want a shot gun as a go to gun.
A few reasons:
1. Pellet spread combined with possibility of innocents nearby. If one can barricade and keep the family behind the gun, ok. But, if there's a possibility that a precise shot must be taken, a single projectile might be preferable. Federal Flite Control and simple understanding of how the gun/load patterns is helpful here. One doesn't necessarily have to have a huge home, however, to start getting into ranges where spread must be taken into account.

2. Pumps require two hands to operate. I've gone through a supervised training exercise with simmunitions that had me on the phone with 911 when the bad guy charged (I mean charged) through the bedroom door. The first shot had to be fired one-handed. Dropping the phone and racking for a second shot took a really long time under those circumstances. Which brings up...

3. Semi-auto shotguns are pricey. Some would say they don't have the universal reputation for reliability that pumps have. Except that...

4. Some believe practical reliability of a pump is over-rated. Mechanically, not much goes wrong with a good pump. However, under stress, short stroking can and does happen. Human malfunctions are still malfunctions.

5. Even reduced-recoil 12 gauge buck kicks harder than most pistols or carbines. Can the user consistently control it in awkward, off-balance positions?

I'm not saying this makes the shotgun a bad choice, just that people may assign different pros/cons to it depending on their circumstances.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:54 AM   #66
markj

I dont always use a shotgun for home defense,

but when I do, I prefer the same one I hunt deer with. Short barrel, and I know how to use it having killed a bunch of deer with the thing.

Use what you want but make sure you can use it.

No. 2 plated goose shot is a good HD round if you dont want to go to 00.
Old November 16, 2010, 09:16 AM   #67
Justice4Lady

"Err I cringe whenever I see high power rounds in a shotgun for home defense. A Rem 870 loaded with bird shot is sufficient, if pellets miss you don't want them flying through walls. Just the standard walmart 870 express Magnum. "

....mmm no. And if you are banking on the use of birdshot to reduce the chance of "overpenetrate" etc, re-think that one hard. I've tested it -(another post,elsewhere) extensively.
#4 and #6 will penetrate clean through almost everything in the home that 00 will,even in the "lowly" .410 loads. It may not do so with quiet as much power-but it will indeed blow clean through just about every wall in a common, modern-built house, and even through steel/metal exterior doors. Folks who are relying on, and advising others, of that internet myth are going to get someone seriously hurt or killed someday.

As for my shotty. NEF 870 type, 18.5" with combo light/laster clamped to muzzle-end/mag tube, and, just recently, installed the Tru-Glow green fiber front sight.
Loaded with 5 rounds (none kept in chamber) Winchester 00, plus 5 more on the sling. Planning on Hydra Shok slugs on the saddle for outdoors/distance shots.
Old November 16, 2010, 10:16 PM   #68
orsogato

A "Chin-chester" model 97 trench gun:

Old November 16, 2010, 10:23 PM   #69
egor20

Benelli M3 super 90 with #4, no worry about penetration problems, I live in the country and its just me and my wife in the house.

Nice looking gun orsogato

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 16, 2010, 11:25 PM   #70
UnCdude2004

Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel, although my Glock 19 is closer in the night stand!
Old November 18, 2010, 11:36 PM   #71
Deja vu

im not doubting any one here but how do people get so many rounds in there shot guns with an 18 inch barrel on an 870? I can get 5+1 and my tube is only about 1/2 an inch short of the end of the barrel with a 1 shot extension.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 19, 2010, 04:38 PM   #72
markj

Deja, you can add an extender to the tube to get more shell capacity.
Old November 19, 2010, 05:58 PM   #73
dgludwig

Benelli Nova with three round mag extension, "ghost" sights and stoked with no.4 buck.
Old November 25, 2010, 10:16 PM   #74
MarbRed88

M590a1 with 00 buckshot.
Old November 25, 2010, 10:26 PM   #75
Bill DeShivs

20 ga. Remington 870 youth model. #3 buck. Ms. Debbie keeps it on her side of the bed.