The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2015, 04:26 AM   #1
McCarthy

Best powder measure

So tonight I wanted to start batch reloading and tried to dial in my Hornady Lock-N-Load powder measure with case activated powder drop kit, all sitting on the Redding T-7 turret.

Even after extensive testing and 'working in some graphite' I couldn't get this setup to throw consistent charges. For testing I tried to archive 20.0gr and it fluctuated from 19.7 to 20.2 with the same consistent upstrokes on the press. This might be ok for the average mid-level plinking load, but not what I'm looking for.

I know I won't get 100% accuracy without trickling but at a minimum it should be +/- 0.1gr when using spherical powder.

With other words: this Hornady setup will go back to Midway. I'll also skip the case activated powder drop idea on my turret press. I've decided that I will only load single stage in batches on the T-7 so there is no need for the powder measure taking up space on the press.

I've been reading about alternative powder measures tonight and came up with 2 options:

1.) Redding Competition 10X-Pistol

2.) Harrell's Schuetzen / Pistol Measure

Price is not relevant. Build quality, accuracy and consistency is.

I have a tendency towards the Harrell's measure but Dillon offers an adapter for the Redding. At some point I'll setup my Dillon for 'mass production' and would prefer a Redding powder measure over a Dillon.

The measure will only be used for pistol rounds.

So what should I get? Any other ideas?
Old March 17, 2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Mavrick79

I tried a the Hornady PM you have and didn't like it as well, the tolerances were really bad and I had similar results as you did. I bought a Redding BR30 and now I'm within a tenth per pull using H335.

A lot of it has to do with the powder your using, you didn't mention that.
Old March 17, 2015, 07:07 AM   #3
McCarthy

Thanks for the info. I tried Bullseye so far.
Old March 17, 2015, 07:29 AM   #4
mehavey

I'm running both a Harrells Schutzen and a full-size Culver. Both are jewels. (I also have an MVA clone of a Belden & Mull for BP, and a Redding that I've had since the late 60's)

Both Harrell's are in constant use, as is the MVA for BPCR. Others may have different opinions, but these have proved themselves to be exceptionally precise over the years. I would also offer that I routinely (in fact just last week) throw 5-6 grain loads of W231 & PowerPistol, and 6-8gr loads Unique of with the Schutzen -- invariably within 1/10 grain (not a misprint).

I have no delusions that a lot of this is due to a very consistant throw technique wherein the handle is held firmly against the left stop;the arm goes UP for a 1-count; comes DOWN with a 1-count; and then is tapped DOWN twice within a 1/2 count: UP - DOWN - TapTap.

YMMV of course, and the the Harrells/MVA are expensive, but then so are pearls of great price.

postscript: A nice part of all Harrells Measures is that the powder bottles are reagent-grade lab polymer. I just leave the powder in them for weeks --labeled as to PowderType/Charge setting w/ masking tape, and the actual powder container sittting directly behind them. (The Redding powder plastic was literally eaten by powder in a couple of days some 30 years ago. I fixed/replaced it, but Mr Redding sits in the cabinet unused)

post-postscript: All three measures are mounted eye-level attached/clamped to the bookshelf/boards mounted by brackets to the wall directly above the re-loading desk.

Last edited by mehavey; March 17, 2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old March 17, 2015, 08:41 AM   #5
hanno

If you buy the Redding Competition 10X-Pistol, you will never look back. I have two of them and have never felt the need for anything else.
Old March 17, 2015, 09:06 AM   #6
A pause for the COZ

It may pay to check out a couple more.
Believe it or not. LEE has upped their game.
They have a new measure that just came out this month.
The LEE Classic Powder measure. Test from early adopters are very very good so far.
Seems to work well with Flake and extruded powders and of course Ball powders.
I haven't ordered one yet. I have Uni- Flows coming out my ears.
But I may.

http://www.titanreloading.com/powder...powder-measure

This one I will be interested in checking out for sure. I like how the disk pro operates and is easy to set up. but is super crappy with flake powders.
I have used the RCBS and Hornady measures with the case activated linkage.
Works but drives me crazy setting it up.
So I may be a early adopter on this one.

http://www.titanreloading.com/powder...powder-measure
Old March 17, 2015, 09:34 AM   #7
sirgilligan

I am currently tracking the delivery of an RCBS ChargeMaster, it should be here today.

I got it here:

http://www.natchezss.com/rcbs-charge...-110-volt.html

I have read many many reviews and I have high expectations.

I expect this to drop a charge withing one tenth of a grain, and I expect it to do this while I am seating the bullet on my single stage press. I expect this to be as if I have someone helping me, a buddy measuring powder while I seat bullets.
Old March 17, 2015, 09:39 AM   #8
mehavey

RCBS ChargeMaster:

Did I mention that I have one of those on my loading bench as well ?
Belt & Suspenders man am I....

post: It performs flawlessly, and I also use it to spot check my thrown charges.
BTW: Pulling the pan off for each load leaves [mine] at a constant -68.2grains. So it has a semi-built-in check weight system.
Old March 17, 2015, 09:56 AM   #9
McCarthy

@sirgilligan & @mehavey

I also own a RCBS ChargeMaster and love it. I use it for working up loads and precision rounds. But for those 150 x 32 S&W long praxis rounds each Saturday I'd like a powder measure that is a tad quicker.

@A pause for the COZ

Thanks for the info but I'm no Lee fan. I own one Lee product and it won't be more. It does the decapping of all my dirt brass before they takes a bath with the stainless steel buddies.

@mehavey

That's the feedback I was hoping for. I think I'll get the Harrells for bench loading and the Redding 10X-Pistol for the progressive Dillon.
Old March 17, 2015, 01:11 PM   #10
higgite

Nobody has mentioned the Quick Measure. It looks and reads impressive, albeit pricey, but I've never seen one in action. Maybe overkill for ball powder, but supposedly the cat's meow for stick powders. Anybody have experience with one?
Old March 17, 2015, 02:15 PM   #11
Hammerhead

For auto rounds like .45 acp I use the Redding 10-X on top of the T-7 and get great results with powders like N310, Titegroup, HP-38, HS-6 and even some flake powders like Universal, 7625 and 4756. I'm using the semi-progressive mode, working each case all the way through from sizing to charging to crimping (5 stations). The movement of the head seems to settle the powder quite consistently. Keep your baffle low.
For revolver I keep the 10-X on the press, but charge 50 cases at a time into a loading block, not moving the head at all. Work well that way, no different than on a bench mounting arm.
I get +/- .1 grain consistently with all the above powders, good enough for any application.
Old March 17, 2015, 02:39 PM   #12
hanno

Quote:
I get +/- .1 grain consistently with all the above powders, good enough for any application.
My experience with the 10X is the same.
Old March 17, 2015, 02:47 PM   #13
daboone

Lee Classic Powder Measure

Before starting this evaluation of the Lee Classic Powder Measure (CPM) I took this new PM totally apart and thoroughly washed, dried (including the hopper) and pre-lubed it with graphite. The Hopper was rubbed down with a dryer sheet. Then a full hopper full of Bullseye thru it before evaluating.

First up was Bullseye. Now admittedly Bullseye is an excellent metering powder. There was no tapping or snapping the measure or handle just a full and complete stroke from top to bottom giving it a couple of seconds on the fill side. The first 10 drops of Bullseye set at 4.1g were all separated by a mere .01g. Second powder tested was HS-6. The results were the same as Bullseye with a .01g difference in only 2 out of the 10 drops. I did no further testing of Bullseye or HS-6.

There's no question that this Classic Powder Measure (CPM) is stouter. There is at the very top and very bottom of the stroke a little bit of looseness. This allows you, if you want, to rap the the crank handle/metering drum into into the housing. (kinda like the knocker idea). This isn't documented as a technique however it is possible. I did try it but thus far found it unnecessary. There is on this remake of the PPM a knob to adjust the tension of the chamber. It is nice to adjust this tension for different types of powder.

The following results are grouped by the specific powder for 10 individual weights and then by a 10 consecutive dispensing to check the average dispensing weight.

Unique Data:
Measure adjusted for 3.5g of Unique with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 3.5g
2- 3.6g
3- 3.6g
4- 3.6g
5- 3.6g
6- 3.5g
7- 3.6g
8- 3.6g
9- 3.6g
10-3.5g

Then 10 drops of 3.5g of Unique were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 36.8g or 3.68g average.

Measure set for 10g of Unique. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 10g
2- 10.1g
3- 10g
4- 10.1g
5- 10.1g
6- 10.1g
7- 10.1g
8- 10g
9- 10g
10- 10g

Then 10 drops of the 10g of Unique were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 100.5g or 10.05 average.

2400 Data:
Measure adjusted for 6.1g of 2400 with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 6.1g
2- 6.1g
3- 6.2g
4- 6.1g
5- 6.1g
6- 6.2g
7- 6.1g
8- 6.1g
9- 6.1g
10-6.2g

Then 10 drops of the 6.1g of 2400 were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 62.2g for a 6.22g average.

Measure adjusted for 13g of 2400 with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 13g
2- 12.9g
3- 12.9g
4- 12.9g
5- 12.8g
6- 12.8g
7- 12.8g
8- 12.9g
9- 12.9g
10- 12.8g

Then 10 drops of the 13g of 2400 were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 129.6g for a 12.96g average.

H4895 Data:
Measure adjusted for 44.8g of H4895 with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 44.8g
2- 44.8g
3- 44.9g
4- 44.9g
5- 45.0g
6- 44.8g
7- 45.1g
8- 45.2g
9- 45.1g
10- 44.9g

Then 10 drops of the 44.8g of H4895 were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 451.3g or a 45.13g average.

Trail Boss Data:
Measure adjusted for 14.6g with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 14.6g
2- 14.4g
3- 14.6g
4- 14.6g
5- 14.5g
6- 14.4g
7- 14.6g
8- 14.8g
9- 14.6g
10- 14.5g

Then 5 drops of the Trail Boss 14.6g were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 73.3g or a 14.66gg average.

Measure adjusted for 4.5g with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 4.5g
2- 4.4g
3- 4.3g
4- 4.4g
5- 4.4g
6- 4.4g
7- 4.4g
8- 4.2g
9- 4.3g
10- 4.4g

I for one never had a problem with the old PPM, but there no question that this Classic Powder Measure (CPM) is stouter. There is at the very top and very bottom of the stroke a little bit of looseness. This allows you, if you want, to rap the the crank handle/metering drum into into the housing. (kinda like the knocker idea) This isn't documented as a technique however it is possible. I did try it but thus far found it unnecessary. There is on this remake of the PPM a knob to adjust the tension of the chamber. It is nice to adjust this tension for different types of powder.

Certainly the values listed above speak for themselves as to the performance with various powders. This is the new CPM's best virtue, it is as consistent with flake powder as it is with stick. I have run out of IMR4350 and don't have any fine ball powders like H110/296 so I can't how it will dispense at those extremes.
Old March 17, 2015, 10:16 PM   #14
axismatt

I am a big fan of the LEE products. I load piles of ammo and the Auto Loader and Breech lock work wonderfully. The LEE classic powder measure is remarkably consistent. And ALL for 1/3 the price of it's competition.

But some folks, whether it's vanity or they just have money to burn, refuse to buy anything but the most expensive products.
Old March 18, 2015, 04:09 AM   #15
hartcreek

Lyman 55s have been around for more then sixty years for one reason they work well. Once you get one you will wonder why you messed around with anything else.
Old March 18, 2015, 05:47 AM   #16
darkgael

Lee

Daboone: Thanks for that research and all of the work involved. My own experience with the Lee PPM is the same. It is, without a doubt, the best buy in powder measures. The new CPM is a step up from an already good item.
I own four of them and have never had cause to complain. I also own the Redding 10x, a couple of RCBS, a couple of Lymans. One day I will buy a Harrell....not because I need it but because I like beautiful and well made tools.

Lots of folk knock Lee products.....the PPM is affordable and repeatedly accurate.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; March 18, 2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old March 18, 2015, 11:34 AM   #17
snuffy

Those that are too elite to buy Lee reloading tools are missing out on "THE" most innovative tools made for reloading. Period!

Anybody else make a neck sizer like the lee collet sizer? Or how about the factory crimp die?--Disc powder measure?--Well you get the picture.

I was unaware of the new CPM, looks like a great upgrade to the PPM. The new auto drum case activated measure looks like it may take over the duties of the auto disc. The main problem with the auto disc is the set chambers seldom match the powder charges a person wants, and the next one up is too much. I'm aware of the adjustable charge bar, but it isn't nearly precise enough.

Lee was the first to offer a hand primer,, out of necessity, to prevent the hammer type primer seating from the hammer type tool from, setting off primers. They upgraded to an auto primer tool that held 100 primers that was copied by several other companies.

What we need is a poll to see how many people, (like me), got started loading using the whack-a-mole hammer style lee loader. 1967 loading 8X57 on my bothers kitchen table.

Even today, a lot of people are getting started with the various lee started kits.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 19, 2015, 06:37 PM   #18
wachtelhund1

Lyman 55 powder measure. I have several. I have one that I have been using for 53 years.
Old March 19, 2015, 08:06 PM   #19
condor bravo

Re: posts 14 and 17
I think what turns off many about Lee products is that photos in catalogs make the tools look light-weight and cheaply constructed. The only Lee products I have are some handgun carbide sizing dies and I guess the rubber O-ring washers and aluminum lock rings are a little bit of a turnoff. I replace those with 1" steel rings from Dillon.

Last edited by condor bravo; March 19, 2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old March 20, 2015, 07:56 PM   #20
jr05

Did you clean the hornady measure thoroughly with one shot before using it?
Old March 20, 2015, 08:35 PM   #21
Hammerhead

I started with Lee in 9mm, but noticed that the seating stem would tip sideways every time it contacted the bullet because the threads were so sloppy. The stem itself was finished so roughly inside that it just grabbed the bullet and forced it in off center. I bought a Redding seating die and the concentricity and my accuracy instantly improved.
I bought a Lee Reloader single stage C press for de-capping in front of the TV, but the ram binds when it gets near the top, plus the stop at the top is inconsistent.
Yes, they have some innovative products. They were the first to produce an affordable 9mm sizing die with a true taper carbide ring, I still use that die, plus I like their universal expander (flaring tool) and their universal de-capper.
If you're happy with your Lee powder measure, good for you. I like to experiment, and the micrometer head on the 10X cuts down greatly on set up time and makes fine adjustments of the powder charge quick and easy and repeatable.

To claim that anyone who wants something better than Lee is an elitist or vane is hog wash.

Last edited by Hammerhead; March 20, 2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old March 21, 2015, 12:34 AM   #22
Clark

I have ~~2,000 pounds of reloading stuff that is always changing, but some how i get by for 16 years with an RCBS Uniflow and an RCBS little dandy.

I could probably be satisfied with almost any powder measure.

The powder measure is not what is holding me back.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 21, 2015, 02:31 AM   #23
trapper9260

I have a Lyman 55 and mount it on its own stand that way I have more control of it and also it is on for what i load.Like stated it been around for many years .
Old March 21, 2015, 02:48 AM   #24
Reloader270

I have the following powder measures and like them all:

RCBS Uniflow - reasonably accurate and reliable to outlive you in your lifetime.

Lyman 55 - The hammer on the side is handy to drop off sticky powder in the drop tube - adding to consistent loads.

Foster Benchrest - very accurate and spot on with especially ball powders.

Ohaus Duo - Sadly discontinued in the 80's. Has a small and large measure on the one cylinder. You just select which one you want to use.

Harrel Benchrest - has clicks on its measuring screw allowing to up or down of 0.01 grains. Easy to adjust to previous adjustments. Top of the range.
Old March 21, 2015, 02:49 PM   #25
Nick_C_S

Quote:
RCBS Uniflow - reasonably accurate and reliable to outlive you in your lifetime.
That's the only one I've ever used. I've been using it for 30 years and still works perfectly. For maintenance, all it gets is a clean and graphite lube twice a year. Although I would have to change "reasonably accurate" to "exceedingly accurate." With most pistol powders that I use, anyway.

Take Bullseye, Power Pistol, or W231 for instance: I almost never get a throw that is off by more than 0.05gn (a half-tenth). Unique will float around a little more. . . okay, a lot more . Fine ball powders and the like (W296, AA2, AA5) don't vary enough to be measurable.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; March 21, 2015 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Typo