The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 6, 2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Quentin2

Would you buy a Police Trade In Glock 22?

Starting tomorrow Cabelas has a sale on law enforcement trade in Glock 22s for $359.99 with two 15rd mags and a hard case. I looked at two today (which were Gen 2s) and put a hold on one to pick up tomorrow. Internally they looked very good but do have holster wear on the slide. Of course the one with the best internals and barrel had a lot more outside wear but I chose it anyway.

Anybody bought a Glock LE trade in? Anything else I should look for before buying? I was impressed how little wear the mating surfaces had, slide/barrel/frame. The bore looked excellent.

I'm curious why these pistols are traded in in the first place if they work properly. Maybe the officer wanted a Gen 3 for the dust cover rail which the Gen 2 doesn't have. Or maybe lots of officers are moving to the new Gen 4s? Or they want a more compact pistol?

Anyway, this seems like a fair price and I've been wanting to buy a full size Glock. Also have been wanting to try out the 40 S&W. I've long had 45ACP and 9mm pistols and the 40 S&W seems like a great compromise even though I've heard the S&W stands for Short&Weak.

Any comments would be appreciated!
Old May 6, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2
fire4606

I wouldn't have any problem with it.

I would however buy a simple spring kit and replace the springs just because you'd have no idea on the round count and they are what i would expect to wear out first, even though i don't think i've ever been able to wear any out myself.

They're just to cheap and easy to change..
Old May 6, 2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Adamantium

When I was in the Army we often spent money we didn't need to because if we didn't waste it this year it wouldn't be there to waste next year. Just a thought.

I agree with the above poster that it seems like a good deal but replace the springs.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:17 PM   #4
bearone2

i've bought 2, a g22/gns/$418 and g23/tns/$429 and a g30 from a cop.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:22 PM   #5
guitars and guns

For $360 I would. Replace springs and roll.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:15 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Glock 22s, upgrades...

The sale price seems very fair for a decent LE trade in.
If you buy a Glock 22, I'd drop a few $$$ & get some after market Glock parts. A match grade barrel, new magazines, springs, night sights, etc.

See these useful resources; www.Glockstore.com www.Glockbooks.com www.CustomizeyourGlock.com .
Author Morgan Boatman writes in detail about what works best & how to maintain any regular Glock pistol.

Clyde
Old May 6, 2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Eghad

Sounds like a deal to me...

I have bought a couple of S&W used LE revolvers aside from a little wear they were mechanically sound. Dont regret spending the money for them.

Usually Police Departments buy new replacements every so often and sell the used guns as a whole lot to bidders.

NRA Life Member
Old May 6, 2011, 11:28 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

YES! Glocks are very durable and replacements parts are inexpensive.

I bought a trade-in 2nd Gen G22 ($350) and 3rd Gen G23 ($375). I replaced the recoil spring (about $3.50?) and already had other springs and parts on hand just in case (already had a new G23).

The biggest thing is that they probably have worn out night sights. I figure even without the glow in the dark they are still a good deal compared to new. I have not replaced mine yet, they work fine in daylight like the OEM sights.

Since acquiring my trade-ins I have put many thousands of rounds through each and can see no difference from my shiny new G23. Highly unlikely you NEED a new barrel, pins, trigger or anything except recoil spring. You may want to replace the extractor spring, and maybe the striker spring, but I didn't and have had no issues after five years.

ETA: The best deal is if you are active duty military or LEO and can get the $100 (or more?) discount on a new one. My dang SIL is buying a couple every year to build his collection. But like millions of others, he pays the piper every day in other ways.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old May 6, 2011, 11:30 PM   #9
KyJim

Police trade-ins are often good values. A lot of police officers are not gun people. They shoot just enough to keep qualified but they obviously carry the gun a lot. That's why the finish may be worn while the barrels and internal parts are in good shape.

I have a revolver that I think was a police or security company trade-in and it is my bedside gun.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:37 PM   #10
NWPilgrim

Quote:
They shoot just enough to keep qualified but they obviously carry the gun a lot. That's why the finish may be worn while the barrels and internal parts are in good shape.
Good point. The nice thing about a Glock is that the metal is protected by a near diamond hard (ok, ok, marketing!) Tenifer finish, which is UNDERNEATH the black color. All the black may be worn off but all the protective finish is still there. Every internal part, even the "bare" metal ones and barrel exterior, are protected by the Tenifer finish.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old May 6, 2011, 11:50 PM   #11
Any .45

I wouldn't hesitate at all to purchase a PD trade in. More than a few of my high school buddies are LEO's and I would say 3 out of 10 that I went to school with are gun guys and 5 out of the group of about 20 or so that I know have multiple guns and usually shoot maybe a mag or two for function testing and the rest of the time shoot their private guns so they don't have to hard clean their duty weapons.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old May 7, 2011, 12:05 AM   #12
ClydeFrog

True but not always...

I agree with a few member posts about the fit & finish(ie overall quality) with a few LE agency trade-ins but not ALL sidearms are worth the $ or in "great shape".

About 2 years ago, the Orlando Florida metro PD(approx 800 sworn officers) replaced the issue SIG Sauer P226 9x19mm sidearms with brand new SIGs in surprise: 9x19mm, .
The PD had the SIG duty pistols for about 16 years.
Now, SIG Sauer "classic" pistols(P226, P220, P229, etc) are great weapons, but after 16 years of regular use, I wouldn't run out & pay $300, $400, $500 for a used/trade in. Maybe if SIG Sauer upgraded them with a CPO(pre owned) treatment, then it would be worth it.
Since the mid 1990s, I've owned or used 3 different LE issue, surplus handguns. A never issued 96D meant for a small state agency, a 96D .40 from the Shelby County(TN) Sheriffs Dept & a Ruger GPNY .38spl(a contracted DA only GP revolver for the NYPD made in 1991).
New or surplus LE weapons are hard to find but a few good deals are out there.

CF
ps; I saw a "new" never issued Glock 22 .40(3rd gen). You can PM me if you'd like to check it out. I can tell you what website has it.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:29 AM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

That's what I have..It was my first handgun LOVE it still. Has never given me an issue at all.

All I've done was send it to Glock in Georgia for the slide to be refinished and when I called to check if it got there they confirmed it did then asked me... "Would you like us to replace any parts on the gun the we deem necessary?" I said "of course, free of charge?" he said "yes sir, of course" So I went through with it...Mind you, I had put 3,000 on top of the already 50k+ was already through it.

I got it back with a new guide rod and spring, new barrel, and nicely refinished ($45) is all I sent it up there with for the refinish. I got a great service encounter with Glock.
Old May 7, 2011, 01:18 AM   #14
scsov509

I purchased a used model 22 a few years back as a LE trade in, and found out when sending it in for a refinish job that it had actually developed a crack in the slide. I ended up shipping the slide to Glock, and they replaced the whole thing and sent me a brand new slide assembly with all new parts. About a month later I took it to a local GSSF event where one of the onsite Glock reps tore it down and replaced a few internal pieces on the frame as well.

Bottom line, you can't go too wrong with a Glock. They're ruggedly durable and their customer service is first class.
Old May 7, 2011, 02:35 AM   #15
blakdawg

I have purchased a police trade-in G22, am happy with it, and am considering buying another.
Old May 7, 2011, 04:14 AM   #16
Don Glock

sure. great deals at around $350.

i've seen a couple unissued police trade in gen2 g22/23's locally as well. wish i picked one up.

of course, i wouldn't buy one sight unseen (or any other used gun for that matter).
Old May 7, 2011, 04:51 AM   #17
giaquir

Now this was a zillion yrs ago
but when I was 15 or 16, dealers
would come in to the Pd where
the old man worked.

His dept was always getting new
handguns.

I asked him about it once and was told
that the dealer gave them a good price
on the "old" weapons and a good deal
on the new ones.

The old man told me that the dealer could sell
used guns overseas but not new ones.

Could be BS but I don't know

ronny
Old May 7, 2011, 06:18 AM   #18
Crunchy Frog

Just for price comparison purposes my latest CDNN Sports catalog has G22 Gen 2 police trade-ins with one magazine for $329.99 (Generation 2 with fixed sights) or $349.00 (Gen 2 with night sights). For ten dollars more they give you one in very good to excellent condition. Used 15 round magazines are $12.99. Shipping for one pistol is $15 plus whatever your FFL charges for the transfer.

A couple of years ago our State Troopers switched from .40 S&W to .45 GAP and the trade-in Gen 2 G22s were sold. One shop was selling them for $375 and moved a bunch of them at that price.
Old May 7, 2011, 06:36 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

I don't think I'd have an issue with it as long as I could see the gun in question.

Couple of years ago I bought a Smith & Wesson 4506 that had been traded in by, I THINK, the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, PD.

Shoots like a champ.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 7, 2011, 07:18 AM   #20
Pico

Good deal

At worse a new barrel and springs, mags. Glock would take care of anything major.

Do it.

Pico
Old May 7, 2011, 08:52 AM   #21
champ198

wouldnt bother me in the slightest....id buy one in a heartbeat...wish i could get on the cabelas site that we have here id see if they had some and id run up and get one would like to have a G22 to go with my 23
Old May 7, 2011, 09:33 AM   #22
MLeake

I would not, but that's only because I don't mesh as well with the grip shape and angle, or the trigger, of the Glock as well as I would prefer.

That said, I would recommend Glock without reservation to anybody who likes the fit and feel. Accuracy, reliability, durability, and customer support are excellent; also, GSSF has a good program with a lot of nice people.

As for the trade-in angle, as always, inspect the individual gun.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:06 AM   #23
Walt Sherrill

Most police guns are shot priarily during periodic (generally semi-annual or annual) qualification tests, and that could be only a 100 rounds a year or so. Most police guns are carried a lot and shot a little.

When an LEO is a gun enthusiast, he or she will generally have other guns, and shoot them rather than their duty guns.

I've had several LEO guns and wouldn't hestitate to buy one again, if I knew for sure it was an LEO gun.

The best deal will be a factory-reconditioned gun, which is less expensive than new, but which will generally, in effect, be just like a new gun, with a warranty.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; May 7, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:08 AM   #24
jtb1967

I've owned a number of police trade in Glocks. It's normally a great chance to guy a good gun and a bargain price.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:15 AM   #25
gearhounds

Absolutely; if they have several and you can pick and choose, all the better.

I have P226 .40 trade in the is rock solid, and tight. It was from a fire marshall's dept in AL. Low wear, light holster wear, great shooter.