The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: What kind of triggersystem do you prefer for your EDC gun?
SA 39 36.79%
DA 48 45.28%
DAO 19 17.92%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 27, 2014, 08:43 AM   #26
psyfly

I find that I choose my EDC according to:

1.) Reliability; will it go bang every time?
2.) Accuracy; will it hit what I aim for (regardless of what someone else can do with it)?
3.) Fit and utility; does it feel good in my hand, can I conceal it with reasonable comfort and deploy it with reasonable speed?
4.) Does the trigger work reliably (repeatably break at the same point, e.g.)

Type of trigger (SA, DA, SA/DA), ignition (Striker, hammer), mechanism (semi-auto, revolver) and other considerations kinda fade into the background.

On any given day, I might be carrying any one of the above.

I didn't vote.

Will
Old June 27, 2014, 10:05 AM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
..SA/DA/SAO distinction to be about the trigger only, and what actions it performs.
Put me in that camp, although I don't think we're in the same tent...

Quote:
Does it only drop the hammer (or striker)? Single action. Does it cock the gun as well, bringing the hammer (or striker) up from a full rest position before releasing the sear? Double Action. Does it have to bring the hammer (or striker) up from rest, each and every time? DAO.
This is a pretty good standard, but I disagree with a small part of it. The part about "from full rest position". I don't think that matters. Of course, others disagree...

If the trigger cocks and fires the gun, it performs 2 actions. Hence Double Action. I don't see where it matters if the hammer or striker is "at rest" or "partially cocked". If you remove " bringing the hammer (or striker) up from a full rest position", from your definition, it is still accurate, and covers a wider range of designs.

GLock, apparently believes that "from full rest to full cock" is necessary to call it a double action. They make a big point of how their gun is different from that, and call their system a "safe action". I suppose its a better marketing term for them than calling it a partially preloaded double action system, but that's what it is.

I see it as a double action if the trigger does two things, cocks the gun, and fires the gun. I think calling it one name if the trigger completely cocks, then fires the gun, and another if the trigger only finishes cocking the gun, then fires it is splitting hairs.

What about SIGs? with their "standard" DA/SA system, when you decock the gun, the hammer is NOT at full rest position. Does this mean its NOT a "real" DA trigger pull? I think it is.

It matters little how you, or I define things, it seems, somewhere down the road, someone else will redefine it, and consider us both "wrong".
Old June 27, 2014, 12:46 PM   #28
Guv

Alot of shooters prefer to thumb the hammer back on a DA.
Old June 27, 2014, 01:19 PM   #29
Jim243

I use to be in the SA camp, Browning High Power, 1911 style, but in recent years have wandered over to the decocker only camp and have no issues with the DA/SA pistols. Actually I prefer them now, it still needs to have a hammer but the first double action trigger pull in not a problem and the transition to SA is smooth as silk and gives an excellent rapid follow up shot as well.

Jim
Old June 27, 2014, 02:38 PM   #30
lee n. field

Quote:
It matters little how you, or I define things, it seems, somewhere down the road, someone else will redefine it, and consider us both "wrong".
At least someone read my post, instead of being an illustration of what I was talking about.

Quote:
If the trigger cocks and fires the gun, it performs 2 actions. Hence Double Action. I don't see where it matters if the hammer or striker is "at rest" or "partially cocked".
In retrospect my divisions were a bit sloppy.

I was trying to make a distinction between what Glock does, with guns with a restrike capability. I had in mind my old, unlamented, CZ-100.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 27, 2014, 04:50 PM   #31
Derbel McDillet

I applaud Blacktimberwolf, the OP, for using the correct terminology "Double-Action (DA)" as opposed to the illiterate "Double-Action/Single-Action (DA/SA)".

DA/SA is NOT a trigger mechanism. It is a MODE of operation.
Old June 27, 2014, 07:31 PM   #32
[email protected]

I'm with psyfly on this topic
Old June 27, 2014, 07:51 PM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

After sixty-five years with a 1911, my hand's kinda married up with it.
Old June 27, 2014, 08:19 PM   #34
jason_iowa

I detest manual safeties so double action is the only way to go for me. I carry revolvers. I always have a 625 on me and often carry a 629 or 627 as a back up depending on what I'm doing.

A combat handgun in my opinion is going to be double action or DAO with no manual safety.
Old June 27, 2014, 08:29 PM   #35
Marty8613

DA/SA on all the guns I own. But.... I have no issue with my wife's DAO. I will buy a DAO and a revolver in DA and in SA and a DAO. You have to practice with what you carry. In TX it is CC only right now, so I carry DA/SA, but DAO isn't off the list. A gun is a gun. Get comfortable with anything you carry. It really isn't that complicated. Work in your budget, get what you want.

Personally, I want all styles.... Even a Glock <argh>
Old June 29, 2014, 03:57 PM   #36
SauerGrapes

DA\SA for about 5 years now.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old June 29, 2014, 04:04 PM   #37
4thPoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2
SA for me. That includes Glock's "Safe Action" which is classified as DA by law enforcement/BATF but functions more like Single Action since the trigger cannot fully cock the hammer/striker.
Ditto. I want the second trigger to be the same as the first and the last to be the same as all the preceding ones.
Old June 29, 2014, 11:57 PM   #38
pgdion

DA/SA for me ... Beretta 92, Cougar, sw5906, Ruger KP345 , .... seeing a pattern here?
Old July 1, 2014, 08:13 AM   #39
dannyb

I voted DAO. For pocket carry (which is what I use most of the time), I like the NAA Guardian and Seecamp .32 ACPs if I'm wearing clothes with smaller front pockets, and Colt Pony Pocketlite if I'm wearing jeans.

I used to carry Rohrbaugh with jeans, but the magazine release on the bottom is awkward and they're a major pain to field strip compared with the Colt.

Should be obvious that I prefer hammer fired to striker fired.
Old July 1, 2014, 12:11 PM   #40
Jay24bal

I am a DAO kind of guy when it comes to my two carry guns.

I just prefer the idea of no safeties or anything needed done to the firearm besides a trigger pull if that moment should ever come that it needs to be fired in distress. I like to think I have trained enough and would be able to thumb the safety or cock the hammer if that were my gun, but the body responds in mysterious ways under stress, so I chose to keep it as simple as possible.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old July 1, 2014, 12:38 PM   #41
campbed

DA/SA.

Looks like you missed a popular system in your survey.
Old July 1, 2014, 03:53 PM   #42
WESHOOT2

I prefer a DA/SA, with all my semis (exception: my PT22) giving me cocked-n-locked capability.
I prefer my revolvers offer me both, too.
Old July 1, 2014, 04:06 PM   #43
s3779m

Da/sa prefer my cz75b or sig 226
Old July 3, 2014, 09:44 PM   #44
MR.G

DA/SA
Old July 6, 2014, 10:45 AM   #45
45Gunner

Been carrying a 1911 for my EDC since the late 60's. Always condition one. Even when I practice at a range where drawing from the holster is verboten, I have it cocked and locked so I train with disengaging the safety.

SA is my choice.
NRA Life Member
Old July 27, 2014, 07:45 AM   #46
wpsdlrg

In theory, my preference is DA or DAO. That because I very much like the concept of a gun NOT being cocked (or even partially cocked) until that is done deliberately. So, one of my favorites is the Sig P250, one of which I do have. These can be a bit difficult to master, however.

In practice, though, I have always really liked the DA/SA'S (the SA mode is nice for precision shooting....and I liked having a decocker, for the reason stated above). But, as I seem to shoot the "Glock style" trigger the best....and I do prefer, at the end of the day, the "constant action" type of trigger, on any platform.....I must put myself into the DA camp.

I have just transitioned to Glocks and no longer have any DA/SA's, as it happens (because I shoot them better).

So, call me DA / DAO....depending on how one chooses to define the Glock trigger.