The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 5, 2014, 06:19 PM   #26
ZVP

Yea a couple guys hit it on the head. they're fun to shoot!
Have I carried mine? Yes while airgunning for Feral Dogs and snakes.
ZVP
Old July 6, 2014, 06:24 PM   #27
Boncrayon

Derringers

A pistol, even a derringer is accurate and straight shooting. It's in the hands of a good shooter. The longer the barrel is easier to aim with distance between the rear and front sights.

I admire a seasoned and expert shooter. We do not all meet that mark. But proficiency is always in practice and shooting skills.
Old July 6, 2014, 07:34 PM   #28
KenW.

I have a Davis .22 magnum and a Bond Arms .45C/.410. They aren't for self defense from a human attacker. They're niche guns that are fun to shoot, and a comfort in snake country. I have no doubt though, that .410 000 buckshot at a range of 15 feet will ruin a torso-size target's day.

The saying is; Accurate to minute of gambler across a card table. They aren't a substitute for a revolver or auto. They are what they are. If you don't like them don't buy one.
Old November 9, 2014, 12:34 AM   #29
nemo2econ

Hi folks. I think it would be really helpful to this Derringer thread if some of you would put photos of your plinking derringers online.

An older fellow from our gun club (was on the phone with him) just offered to sell me a "chrome steel" .38 special derringer for a steal. I think $200. He said it was made in Utah, maybe some decade or three ago.

I don't know if it is Cobra or not, but I think that it might be. He didn't know, and didn't want to get up and get the mfgr. or barrel length just then. I'm to call him back Monday evening.

ZVP, or Cheapshooter: do you have pics?
Old November 9, 2014, 02:07 AM   #30
Cheapshooter

I have taken my two derringers to the range since getting them back in the Summer. First off I'll start with the good. They're kinda fun to shoot.
Now, to the not so good. Accuracy with both the Cobra, and the NAA Mini Revolver is something on the order of minute of side of a barn @ 10 feet!
However, it may be just a learning curve that I have to work on. The hold on both of them is something I'm not used to, and the trigger, especially the Cobra, is heavy to immovable. Hopefully, it's just technique, and I will learn it.
Oh well, like I said in my earlier post, they were just for the heck of it anyway!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 9, 2014, 06:23 AM   #31
hartcreek

I have a Davis deringer in .38 Special. It is way to light for me to shoot it with factory loads but with the reduced loads that I make for it I have no problem hitting a half size human torso steel plate from fifty feet.
Old November 9, 2014, 10:08 AM   #32
peggysue

A Davis/Cobra is kind of bottom of the barrel. zinc derringers. JMO.
Old November 9, 2014, 03:00 PM   #33
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I have a Davis deringer in .38 Special. It is way to light for me to shoot it with factory loads but with the reduced loads that I make for it I have no problem hitting a half size human torso steel plate from fifty feet.
Admittedly I haven't worked up any loads for my Cobra. Only shot it a few times. I used as close as I could find to the old standard 38Spcl load. Federal American Eagle 158 gr. lead round nose.

Quote:
A Davis/Cobra is kind of bottom of the barrel. zinc derringers. JMO.
Yup, wasn't expecting anything more than what it is. A hunnerd and sumpin dollar range toy. No intentions of serious use here.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 10, 2014, 01:04 AM   #34
XDforever

I just got a Bond Arms Rustic Ranger. 4.25" barrel, .410 shot/45 long colt. I ordered a .38/.357 barrel at half price from Bond Arms. I also found a 9mm barrel from Grabagun. I am set for all kinds of fun once the .38/.357 gets here. I have not shot it yet, but it should be a blast.

The gun came with the BAD driving holster.

I have inclosed a couple of picts.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0823.jpg (70.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0825.jpg (58.8 KB, 24 views)
Old November 13, 2014, 06:15 PM   #35
nemo2econ

Thanks, folks, for the comments and pics.

I decided to buy the little 38 SPCL Cobra Derringer. Model CB38, with chrome finish.

At that low price, it will just be a fun gun for the range, ...

... and to let my guests give it a go where I'm pretty sure they'll not be interested in using much ammo.
Old November 14, 2014, 11:05 PM   #36
KenW.

Those Cobras are made about 15 miles south of me. I got a .22 mag Davis as part of a trade a few years ago. The bottom barrel wouldn't fire. I took it down there and they replaced both firing pins and put on a new barrel set. They test fired it several times for me. Cheap guns but top-notch customer service; especially if you are standing if their lobby.

Cobra is the new Davis. Parts are the same.

Last edited by KenW.; November 14, 2014 at 11:15 PM.
Closed Thread