The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2008, 06:01 AM   #1
mniesen89

speeding up the primer pocket cleaning process.

Does anyone have any homemade or better ways of cleaning your primer pockets other then cramping up your wrist with a lyman tool?
Old March 28, 2008, 06:10 AM   #2
ShootingNut

I just finished up a "batch" of .40's, where I decapped then tumbled. Just a few of the pockets needed a little extra cleaning when done.
I tried this, as out of the 150 rounds, I recently had 5 that didn't fire on the first strike from my M&P40. Loaded them again, and 4 fired off, the last one took 3 strikes to go off! So, I figured maybe my pockets have gotten dirty enough, so I'm fully seating the primer, although they appear to be slightly below or level with the casing head.
Anyway, an extra step but if that what it takes, I want to turn out dependable reloads. My MP may need attention if it persists?
Regards,
SN
Old March 28, 2008, 06:20 AM   #3
MaineColt

I made a tool that works pretty good.

I took a 3" long piece of brass rod, 1/8" in diameter. Took a chunk of 0000 steel wool and super-glued it to the end of the brass rod. Just wrapped it around the end of the rod. Basically, it now looks like a Q-tip.

Mounted in my drill motor, I set the variable speed down low, set the trigger hold button to keep the motor running and this is all clamped in the bench vice.
It took me about 2 minutes to clean 100, .44 mag primer pockets the other night and they are as clean as new brass.

Kev
Old March 28, 2008, 07:11 AM   #4
steve4102

Chuck em in a drill, only takes a few seconds and no wrist fatigue.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...8KP&type=store
Old March 28, 2008, 08:53 AM   #5
freakshow10mm

For pistol I don't ever clean primer pockets. Life is too short.

For rifle I chuck a Lee tool in my cordless drill, set it going, and just hold the cases there for a second, tap it on a paper towel so the stuff falls out, and toss it in a pile.
Old March 28, 2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Wibb

Buy the RCBS case prep tool. I also chuck the RCBS hand tool in my dremel or a drill. If I use the dremel I mount it in my vice and just let it run. Eliminates all that hand cramping.
Old March 28, 2008, 11:00 AM   #7
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Buy the RCBS case prep tool.
+1

I rarely mess with the primer pockets of my plinking brass.

Now, for my target loads. . . . whole nother matter. But then again, I never get in a hurry with them.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 28, 2008, 11:03 AM   #8
Shoney

In 48 years of reloading, I have never found the need to clean primer pockets.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 28, 2008, 11:04 AM   #9
freakshow10mm

I just do it for 375 H&H Mag and 45/70.
Old March 28, 2008, 12:16 PM   #10
SDefender

I do nothing to my .40 S&W and .45 auto cases and have never had a misfire. But I also verify my primers are ~.004" deep.
Old March 28, 2008, 12:23 PM   #11
mrawesome22

I take the Hornady primer pocket cleaner and chuck it in a cordless drill.
Old March 28, 2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Michaelm45

I used to be a nut about clean primer pockets. I haven't cleaned a pistol primer pocket in over 40 years. Too much trouble.
If your a 1000yd bullseye shooter and want those 1 hole groups...
then you gotta do it.
Old March 28, 2008, 03:05 PM   #13
Smokey Joe

Primer pocket cleaning, et. al...

Mniesen89--Lyman makes a lovely kit called the Power Deburr Accessory Set, p/n 7999050, that I bought from Midway. It contains an Inside Neck Chamferer, and Outside Neck Chamferer, a Large & Small Primer Pocket Cleaner, a Large & Small Primer Pocket Reamer, 3 case neck brushes, and a hex adapter for the brushes.

I chuck whichever tool is needed into a power screwdriver, and it makes short work of the cases at hand.

I too feel the need to clean primer pockets only VERY seldom; never with pistol ammo. I shoot bullseye pistol league; practice quite a bit. Have never had a mis-fire with my reloads, attributable to any sort of primer problem.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 28, 2008, 04:16 PM   #14
ShootingNut

Smokey

Then what do you think I should do? Again, my Smith & Wesson MP40 has been "finding" a few of my reloads that do not fire on first strike, taking two and sometimes 3 to fire up.
Visually, my primers are properly seated just a tad below the head surface.
Maybe I should talk to Smith about this, possible that they have seen this before and could be repaired?
I don't want to be cleaning every dang primer pocket just for the excercise. As others, I can find something else to do (wife say's Rake The Lawn).:barf:
Regards,
SN
Old March 28, 2008, 04:26 PM   #15
Smokey Joe

FTF's

Shooting Nut--Just from yr description, it sounds like you have an issue with the firearm, not the reloads.

These are just guesses, of course. I'm not personally acquainted w/the S&W MP40. Could be something sticking yr firing pin, or more likely, issues w/yr firing pin spring.

Were it my pistol, and I had the issues you describe, I'd have a gunsmith look it over. After stripping it down and clean, clean, cleaning, then lightly lubing, the internal workin's of same, and test-firing and finding the same issues regardless.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 28, 2008, 06:24 PM   #16
Alleykat

I use and endorse the "freakshow method" of primer pocket cleaning. Wouldn't waste a nanosecond of my life cleaning a handgun case primer pocket.
Old March 28, 2008, 06:57 PM   #17
BIGR

I have been loading for about 20 years and have yet to clean a primer pocket. Can't ever recall having a miss fire either. Maybe I should I don't.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:26 AM   #18
ryalred

After reading of others who don't clean the primer pockets, I starting giving it a try on my practice ammo. Haven't had a misfire. This not cleaning the primer pocket is extremely appealing to me.

I have found that, for me, there were three reasons for a primer not firing: 1) primer not seated to the bottom of the pocket 2) Firing pin not striking the primer with sufficient force 3) Defective primer.

After years of reloading I have seen very few defective primers, but I have had some. There were good indents in the primer but the they didn't discharge. I do not know if it occurred from the same lot of primers or not. And, I don't recall if they occurred with the same brand of primers.

I have a New England 30-06 with which I was having problems with it not firing because the firing pin impact was weak/shallow. I switched to Federal Match primers and haven't had a failure to fire since.