The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 18, 2011, 12:43 PM   #1
lt dan

6mm 250 questions

every now and then i find that i have exhausted all the local excisable knowledge, but thankfully i can then return to the F/line for expert advice.
a 6mm 250 is available at a local dealer. the dealer showed me a target on which the rifle shot 5 shots all touching each other at a distance of 200 yards. he said I can accompany him to the range and if the rifle does not duplicate that, or close enough to that, i can walk away from the deal.

the rifle has n sako action with a Hart 27,5 inch s/steel barrel. if i buy it it will get a suppressor. i will use it for jackal calling as well as all local game that fall into the 243/6mm allowed specs. it will also do duty on the range as a competition rifle in the local Hunting rifle comps.

the rifle comes with Redding die set as well as 200 cartridges.

what i do not know and hope the members here can help me with:

-bullet weights and velocity
-opinion on the Hart barrel
-general thoughts on the caliber

the price including the die set and brass are about the same as n new Rem 243. (for comparison only, I dont intend buying 243)

thank you

Last edited by lt dan; September 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old September 18, 2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Jim243

Well 250 or a 260 is an excelent caliber, Hart is an very good barrel. Since it comes with a set of dies for 250 and 200 cases, I would say go for it, sounds great only problem is I do not know how easy it is to get 250mm bullets to reload those cases where you live.

Quote:
(for comparison only, I dont intend buying 243)

That's too bad, I love that caliber.
Jim
Old September 18, 2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Is this a 6mm and a necked-down .250/3000 case? Anyhow, a reloading data book would provide comparative case dimensions and capacities. From that you could get a fairly good idea about velocities.

I have found that the 6mm Sierra 85-grain HPBT gives me very tight groups and is totally ruinacious on coyotes and suchlike. Works okay on smaller deer in the dressed-weight 120-pound size, with neck shots or cross-body heart/lung shots. Granted, I've never needed to take a shot past around 150 to 200 yards.
Old September 19, 2011, 01:43 AM   #4
Scorch

One version of this cartridge is called the 6mm International, and it is just a bit slower than a 243 and generally chambered in a custom rifle like the one you are looking at. I say get it, it will work beautifully for what your intended use is.
Old September 19, 2011, 01:50 AM   #5
lt dan

thanks guys

it is a necked down version of the 250-3000. Art it sounds as if you have one? what is you f/s on that 85grn? any opinions on the Hart barrel?
Old September 19, 2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I use that bullet in my .243, which is why I suggested doing comparisons of dimensions and capacities. My Sako is a 19" carbine, so I guess I'm getting no more than around 3,000 ft/sec. With a long barrel, probably around 3,400 or so.

Hart barrels have excellent reputations. The main thing to check on any used rifle is the leade. If it's not burned from extensive use, it's a "buy".
Old September 22, 2011, 01:42 PM   #7
lt dan

Art, i have always received a thoughtfull and educated answer from the Firing line and especialy from you.

I therefore ask leave to post the first couple of kills from the 6mm 250 as soon as i am allowed to use it. legislation willing this will happen in 6 months.

there is ways around this, but the pics may be graphic in nature, please sensor if I am out of line.

ps. the nature of the pics wont be problematic to hunters, and like minded folks. aka the right kind of people.
Old September 25, 2011, 06:02 PM   #8
dmickey

I hope you are aware that the 6mm/250 is a wildcat cartridge. Basically this means that you will have to reload for it. I have found only a small amount of loading data for the cartridge. Good luck!
Old September 25, 2011, 11:09 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

lt dan, hunting results are always welcome in the Hunt forum.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:08 PM   #10
lt dan

Goodnes Art gave me the go ahead to post some pics of the 6mm 250 ai and I forgot. Talk about bad manners. I took this kudu at 432m acording to the gps. I used a 87 v- max at 3300f/s. I took the shot while seated in a very sturdy bench rest tipe aid.

The wart hogs are strictley head shots, the v- max as expected doesnt go all the way through

This cat took 4 of my brother in law's lambs the saturday, this shot was taken on wednesday, in combo with a distress call from a fox pro

Last edited by lt dan; January 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM.