The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2000, 07:05 PM   #1
Cullen

Hi guys,
If I don't have a pot full of $ for a Scattergun Technologies Wilson rip-off, what is a good, functional, reliable shotgun for guarding the house and property? What is the anticipated range from a typical .12 or .20 gauge, if I were to use it outside on my property? Should a .12 even be used inside due to the report and muzzle blast?

Clue a newbie in, wouldya?

Old March 28, 2000, 07:33 PM   #2
jfrancis

I'd go with a Remington 870 12 ga pump for home defense if that was going to be my only use for the weapon. These can be had quite cheaply, they work and work and can always be upgraded to Scattergun standards later if $$ and interest permit.

Range depends on ammunition. With buckshot you are limited to the range you can guarantee keeping all your pellets on target (probably less than 15 yards with an unmodified 870) - unless you are out in the boonies when you can be sure that nothing else important will take a hit. The reduced recoil buckshot patterns tighter in most guns.

Further than that, switch to slugs - you extend your range to about 100 yards depending on your sights and skill level.

If you have goblins in your house intent on doing you harm, you probably won't notice the noise and muzzle blast. I wouldn't worry about that - ANY gun is going to be loud indoors.

Finally, I would strongly recommend taking a combat shotgun course. I've had classes with Jim Crews, Randy Cain and Louis Awerbuck (Mr. Shotgun) and they were all a great value.

John Francis
Old March 29, 2000, 12:34 AM   #3
6forsure

Regular stocked pump w/out plug. The cheapest light loads ought to work fine for the house. You can get it all at Wally World too.
Old March 29, 2000, 06:39 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Used 870s are available under $200, and if one has ever been worn out, it's news to me.

Four rounds of anything in the mag should resolve all but the most unusual situations, field loads to 000 will work as ammo.

DO get some intruction,and all responsible adults in the house who may have need should be trained in its use,and all should practice regularly.
Old March 29, 2000, 09:14 AM   #5
gunmart

hmmm wilson list the border patrol model for $680.a steal at that price.jsut to clarify that wilson is not a nock off of scattergun but aquired scattergun tech in nashville in about august of last year.wilson has improved the sites and the sling and every gun they sell is garanted to pattern well with federal buck h13200.if it doesent they will keep changing out the barrel till it does.no one else in the industry will do that for you so cough it up now or cough it up later.its your choice.
Old March 30, 2000, 04:01 AM   #6
44spec

My personal choice is a S+W 916 riot pump in 12ga. However, if price is a limiter, the Mossberg 12 or 20ga is excellent too. Interchangable bbls too. Most would advocate the Rem 870 and it is a very fine weapon.

One note though, If you pistol grip your 12ga, be ready to get what feels like Carpal Tunnel syndrome since the pistol grip puts a higher instance of force on it when firing than with a regular stock.

#4 shot will do the trick on any intruder and only mess up one wall. Of course, someone will have to clear the flesh fragments and Bloooooooood off the walls too.
Old March 30, 2000, 05:28 AM   #7
tuc22

870 or Mossberg with a Vang Comp barrel buy new or used may fit budget of $400 or less.
Old March 30, 2000, 06:13 AM   #8
Ned Roundtree

Used police Remington 870 is easily found. Usually in $225-$300 range around here. Fifteen to twenty yard accuracy of buck is sufficient to get home defended. And if truth is known, I'm counting on the distinctive sound of the rack of a shotgun to get the bad guy to rethink entering my house. If not, my Marine Magnum (Rem 870) 6+1 loaded with #00 and #4 should suffice. I have side saddle with two rifled slugs and another #4 and #00. I don't keep chamber loaded so I've got six inside and four on the side for ten shots. The Mrs. will back me up with her Mossberg 590A1.
Old March 30, 2000, 10:33 AM   #9
CrociJA

Well for what its worth, my Mossberg 590 (with Ghostring sights added of course!) loaded with #1 shot is very accurate, reliable, and costs about $400.00, and the #1 is sort of a compromise between the #4 and .00 buck.
Geesh, slugs in a "house", why not just use a mini-gun!

Jon
Old March 30, 2000, 01:27 PM   #10
John Overbey

Really, any quality, unmodified, pump-action shotgun is great for HD. The Winchester Defender 1300 (?) is available at a very reasonable price and has a reputation as being a great one. Obviously, any Rem. 870 or Mossy 500 would be just as good, and should be well under the $300 mark. If you want one that comes with 'most' of the bells and whistles, go for a Mossberg 590 or 590A1. These will run you from $350 - $450 depending on model and dealer mark-up, but will give you an outstanding HD shotgun. As for ammo, unless you live on a HUGE property with no close nieghbors, avoid slugs. For indoor confrontation, #4Buck is fine (actually may be a little too strong for some homes, especially apartments). I kinda like Copper plated #4 Turkey loads for HD, but I keep a couple of 00B nearby "just in case".
-John
Old April 1, 2000, 03:38 PM   #11
Solitar

I agree with John on the Winchester 1300. I've an 18-inch model 1200 pistol grip with folding Butler creek stock and a side saddle for six more rounds (the folding stock and loaded sidesaddle help a LOT with the felt recoil). The short length makes it great for getting through small doors (like bathrooms have nowadays) while keeping the weapon pointed toward the threat. You can also sleep with it since it is short enough to pull out from under the covers or a king size pillow (try that with a full length 870). My apartment is often cluttered with boxes and other stuff, so a longer weapon could be a hindrance. Can you tell that I really like the short pistol grip? The fold out stock is great for shoulder-aimed shots and outdoor use such as hunting (though the cylinder bore prevents longer range shots).

Load it with #4 buck and have 3" OOO buck magnums and some slugs for longer range backup in the sidesaddle. I must admit that 3" magnums shot from just the pistol grip does make for a slightly stoved-up wrist - but that's a lot better than letting a perp get back up and continue his assault.
Old April 1, 2000, 07:54 PM   #12
Vern Brink

Remington 870 Wingmasters can probably be found used fairly easily. Or an 870 Police Magnum. Good platform for future upgrades (extended tube, sights, light, side saddle, different stock etc) if so desired. Buck patterns at about 1" for every yard as a general rule. Tactical loads hold a little tighter than that. Go out to a range and pattern test your shotgun at known ranges like 7 10 12 15. One round at each range and measure. This will give you an idea of what the gun is capable of. Beyond that, go slug. VanComp's and reducing the forcing cone are supposed to tighten groups even more, but that's more $$$. Don't go w/a 20 gauge. The 12 is more flexible w/different loads. Max range outside will depend on load. With slug, good sights and practice/training 100 yds. I know of a fatal hit by a buck pellet at 42 yards. However, keep in mind that 3 shot (27 pellets) went downrange and only 2 hit the target. Training will probably be your most valuable upgrade as far as cost versus value. It'll improve your effectiveness w/the gun more that any add on piece will.
Good luck.

------------------
Vern