The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 26, 2005, 02:22 PM   #1
USP45usp

Anyone have a set program?

As in, like exercising? You have a set program in order to build up your body, so does anyone have a set program to build up your shooting skills.

Sure, we go to rock pits, to the ranges, and then we put holes into paper. Yet is there a set program that one uses and practices? We hear, and do, the three point shots (two COM and one head) and we do the double taps, and maybe we do the weak hand vs strong hand, the FTF and the FTE drills, as well as just being happy that we brought the right ammo to the days fun of shooting.

I just got finished shooting (outside range at my back door) and was thinking about such things. I started out normal, just putting a few rounds into the x ring (yeah, I wish it was that easy ), then I did a few three shoot drills (I can't spell that one word for it, the name, two to COM and one to head) and then I did a few FTF drills using snapcaps to simulate the FTF.

But all of my personal training is done on what I think about at the time. No set training, no sets that I go through as one would do in physical training, and it just got me to thinking.

Should we develope and practice a set or sets of training that we can do on our own while either on a private or public range or just continue to do as we've always done?

Wayne
Old June 26, 2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Mannlicher

Good question. I do my range time, but the rangemaster gets freaky when you fire more than one shot every 5 seconds. You can't use a holster, practice your presentation, or shoot at human silhouettes.
I do practice at home. My garage serves for this purpose, and I have various targets set up that I practice my draw on. I know I should have something formal set up on paper, so I don't miss things, but at least I try to get some practice in.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 26, 2005, 03:17 PM   #3
jonathon

I've practiced shoot and scoot type manuvuers with my SKS, fire, advance to cover, fire again at another target, move, engage, etc. Compare my scores.

Its probably more fun than practical but yeah...

I do believe practicing firing on the move and being accurate while doing it is a good skill.. and where I go shooting I can practice that.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old June 26, 2005, 04:08 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

It's a good idea. For years, I was into the tight group mindset from shooting PPC. Our range officer was watching me shoot nice tight groups squeezed off from a good sight picture and stance. He said "so you're gonna do all that in a shootout, huh? Where do you want the flowers sent?" I thought about it and decided he was right. So, I got into instinct shooting. Geeze, it was like starting all over again and I couldn't hit a bull in the a** with a bass fiddle. I'm still learning (and I miss those tight groups ), but in the end when it hits the fan, you'll do what you've trained to do.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie