The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 17, 2011, 12:26 PM   #26
MLeake

I'm assuming he prefers down-to-fire, frame mounted safeties over up-to-fire, slide mounted safeties.

A lot of people do.

When I carried a 92 as my personal firearm, I just used the safety as a decocker, and took it back off safe. DA pull was heavy and long enough on it that I wasn't very concerned. Then again, my revolvers don't have safeties...
Old May 17, 2011, 12:28 PM   #27
AustinTX

Quote:
I'm assuming he prefers down-to-fire, frame mounted safeties over up-to-fire, slide mounted safeties.
Of course. I just find it bizarre that some people think that all safeties should operate in the same direction, regardless of their location on the gun.

Anyway, this is turning into a bit of a thread hijack on my part, so I'll (try to) shut up now and let the celebration of the PX4's greatness continue.
Old May 17, 2011, 01:08 PM   #28
bitttorrrent

Awesome gun. I like the od green, but the black one i got was the last one in stock.

Only put 100 rnds or so at first shooting, but i really like it. Not sure if the recoil is any less? Hard to tell but i think it was less than the glock 17 i was shooting last week. Will have to note it this week when i go down and put a few hundred more rounds through it.

I put the larger strap on and seems pretty good. Don't mind the safety - part reason I bought it - Could look into the slimmer decocker lever but it is ok for now.

I think is underrated - has a good quality heft too it and looks great to boot. Mine was on sale for 519.00 and there is a form to send in for a free holster from beretta that i am waiting on.
Old May 17, 2011, 01:13 PM   #29
ShipWreck

Yes, I sent off for the holster yesterday. They wanted a copy of an ATF form, but I bought mine at a gun show. There was no way to copy anything.

FN used to require that form, but would still honor claims without it. We'll see if Beretta does.
Old May 17, 2011, 03:14 PM   #30
bitttorrrent

Yes, I bought mine at Cabela's last month, and they would not give me a copy of the atf form.

So they said they will make the copy and mail the coupon in themselves. Ok I guess, will see if i get it in the mail or not as they have all the paperwork except for receipt. But the girl said they do this all the time.
Old May 17, 2011, 04:58 PM   #31
sigxder

I don't need another gun......I don't need another gun......I don't need a Beretta PX4.......Must resist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 17, 2011, 05:05 PM   #32
sigxder

As far as the safety goes I don't like slide mounted safties. But on my DA/SA I load the gun, decock it, and pop the safety back up. The DA/SA design was intended to be safe to carry a round chambered. Some felt the early SA guns were unsafe to carry with a round in them. The U.S. Armed Forces taught the 1911 should be carried without a round in the chamber for safety. Not saying they were right but never had a problem with a DA/SA gun with a round in the chamber, decocked without the safety on. The long first DA pull is supposed to help act as a safety.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:11 AM   #33
mdub

thanks guys, now you have me interested in a .40 version of this.

can anyone comment on the long term robustness of polymer frames? I've never owned one and am completely clueless. All i can think about is finding old plastic stuff at my grandparents house that basically deteriorated or became brittle and snapped.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:23 AM   #34
LockedBreech

I have had mine for two years, ten months and fired about 1700 rounds. My PX4 frame looks new. Id say 98% condition. Ill throw some pics later.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:38 AM   #35
ShipWreck

Quote:
can anyone comment on the long term robustness of polymer frames? I've never owned one and am completely clueless. All i can think about is finding old plastic stuff at my grandparents house that basically deteriorated or became brittle and snapped.
This is the last thing to worry about - This topic has come up for years. Unless you leave it out in the sun, theoretically - you will be fine. I have seen magazine articles about this over the years too. Speculation is that the gun would last at least 100 years.
Old May 18, 2011, 01:19 PM   #36
barefoot

There are plastics, and then there are plastics - they're getting better all the time. Modern polymers are up to the task.

And yes, I'd prefer my safety to be frame-mounted and down-to-fire. I shoot Glocks, but I'll eventually have a 1911, cuz everybody needs one. I've shot a friend's Beretta 92 and it's just a longish reach to snap that safety up, then bring my thumb back down to grip the gun to fire.
Old May 18, 2011, 01:49 PM   #37
ShipWreck

Quote:
And yes, I'd prefer my safety to be frame-mounted and down-to-fire. I shoot Glocks, but I'll eventually have a 1911, cuz everybody needs one. I've shot a friend's Beretta 92 and it's just a longish reach to snap that safety up, then bring my thumb back down to grip the gun to fire.
I have eight Beretta 92s and a new PX4 now.

Honestly - there is no reason to even use the safety - it's a DA/SA gun. The 1st shot is heavier for a reason... To prevent an accidental firing.

I only use the safety as a decock, and then it gets pushed back into the "off safe" mode... No real reason to have to take the safety off before firing
Old May 21, 2011, 04:16 PM   #38
MLeake

After reading up on the PX4, then checking them out at my friend's LGS, and then renting and shooting one of their guns, I ended up buying 3.

F types. Full-size .40, compact and sub-compact 9.

They are nice shooters. (The 9's; I haven't shot the .40 yet, but will soon.)

FWIW, the Sam Andrews MacDaniel II IWB holster for the FNP http://www.andrewsleather.com/macdaniel2.htm and the Talon Tactical Kydex saddle for the FNX (not on the page but can be ordered) http://www.talontactical.com/index.p...hk=1&Itemid=64 fit the PX4.

Sam Andrews is a friend of mine; so is Mike at Talon Tactical. They make good gear, and it will fit the PX4, so there you go.
Old May 21, 2011, 05:05 PM   #39
ShipWreck

I've taken my new one to the range today... I talk about it here:

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=74264

I think I will start using it as a carry gun...
Old May 21, 2011, 11:35 PM   #40
khest

As for the safety, I would carry it like the AF taught me, decocked and safety off. DA is pretty stiff that it shouldn't go off accidentally...

How does the sub compact carry? I like how it fits and plan on getting one as a carry piece down the road.

Khest
Old May 21, 2011, 11:41 PM   #41
LockedBreech

Good lord, Mleake, I thought I loved the PX4!
Old June 7, 2011, 06:05 PM   #42
Nordeste

It's a gun I'm in love with. So I am with my service 92FS. They're expensive in my country (875USD-600€) but sooner or later I'll have my full size PX4.

Safety?. No problems. It's on the slide as in the M9-92FS. Grab the gun and you can switch the safety with your thumb easily, no probs.

Beretta makes not just reliable and accurate pistols. They are also good looking. These Italians find it hard to manufacture ugly things. Have a look at an Alfa Romeo and then at a Volkswagen. They put passion in what they do, the result is something worth looking at, and pleasant to use.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:13 PM   #43
9mm

You can carry guns legally in spain? you dont have to be a cop?

$875 is not that bad, when Obama first got in office they ran $750 lol now $560~$620
Old June 7, 2011, 07:03 PM   #44
MLeake

The sub-compact carries pretty easily; the smaller grip is slightly easier to conceal than that of the compact. Then again, there isn't that much difference.

I'm flying out for a shooting class in Washington at Pax's school in August, and was advised that it's a good idea to bring a backup pistol in case the primary fails during the course, which is one reason I bought both the compact and sub-compact.
Old June 7, 2011, 08:38 PM   #45
allenomics

The PX4 appears to have about a 12lb trigger pull? Does the pull feel lighter or smoother after break in?
Old June 7, 2011, 09:22 PM   #46
MLeake

Different models have different triggers (the C model acts almost like a striker type trigger), and I'm not sure what the variances are.

I am overseas, so I won't be able to put mine on a gauge until I get home. Sorry. FWIW, though, the DA pull feels a bit lighter and smoother than the ones on my Centurion and issued M9 used to feel.
Old June 8, 2011, 12:41 AM   #47
bitttorrrent

i was wondering that also. i have only around 150 - 200 rnds and the da trigger pull seems to be about the same - the 12lbs sounds about right.
i might be able to test mine but not here.
I dry fire a bit also, but not sure if that will do much. I got some snap caps cause the manual does say not to fry fire a lot.
da is a bit heavy, but i wanted it that way for the first shot, but will see if gets less with time and more bullets.
Old June 8, 2011, 01:09 AM   #48
MLeake

Seems to me the reviews I've seen for the F said the DA pull was 10lbs. I'll verify what my own is when I get home in July.
Old June 8, 2011, 06:20 AM   #49
Nordeste

9mm, concealed carry for civilians is quite exceptional here, yes. Licenses are seldom granted and cases thoroughly reviewed. Bodyguards (and depending a lot of WHO they work for), judges, jewellers, businessmen blackmailed by the Basque separatists, etc. Otherwise, yes, you gotta be military or LE personnel to be allowed CC.
Old June 8, 2011, 07:15 AM   #50
Ludarue

I have said it a million times but will say it again. I love my px4.

Everybody that has shot my px4 has loved it as well. They go "Wow, I can't believe how awesome that pistol is."

Tags
beretta , px4