The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2010, 01:26 PM   #26
zippy13

I'm from the other side of the fence, a long time H-110 user, but in .410-bore Skeet loads. I dropped in to see if this thread might be applicable to my loads.

During the 20-years I've been using H-110, I've seen the warning label "DO NOT REDUCE H110 LOADS BY MORE THAN 3%." enough times to make me realize there's something different about H-110, and I don't have a clue what it is -- all I know is it works for me -- there's no way I'd deviate from the posted data for pistol loads. I prefer to learn by the mistakes of others.

Thanks for sharing your misadventure, Sam, glad you were relatively unscathed. And, another thanks to Unclenick for his explanation.
Old March 4, 2010, 02:33 PM   #27
BruceM

"there's something different about H-110, and I don't have a clue what it is"

The "it" is the fact that W296/H110 must have at least a 90% load density to burn correctly or a squib load will result. I've been using these two propellant long enough to remember when Winchester's published data listed ONE charge weight only with a note stating that the propellant was to be used EXACTLY as listed with no reduction in charge weight. Regardless of what you've read on the internet or elsewhere, a magnum primer is necessary along with tight bullet pull which, again, is NOT the same as a heavy crimp.

Bruce