The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2015, 01:44 PM   #1
98 220 swift

Looking for a good 38 special +P load for snub nose

Looking for a good +p load for a snub nose for practice loads. Using 125gr xtp.

Last edited by 98 220 swift; January 29, 2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old January 29, 2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Shooter2675

Cant give exact numbers but I would say a quicker burning powder would be best so you waste the least amount of powder with still a good bit of power behind the bullet. Look up a powder burning rate comparison and find some fast burning ones.

John
Old January 29, 2015, 05:26 PM   #3
jtmckinney

I use Bullseye and still have over a pound left but I haven't seen it on the shelves for quite a while. I also hear Titegroup is another good one and it is on the shelves at least in the DFW area.
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old January 29, 2015, 05:51 PM   #4
98 220 swift

I have some bullseye. I am also thinking hs-6. or possibly AA-5.
Old January 29, 2015, 05:52 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

The above responses are good - use a faster burning powder like Bullseye.

+P out of a snub is not that enjoyable to me, but I wish you the best.
Old January 29, 2015, 05:55 PM   #6
98 220 swift

I want to load a few to get a feel for it with +p before I carry with them. I plan to practice mostly with light 158gr loads but also want a few +p to also get a good feel with them. Its cheaper to load my own rather than buy a box just to shoot paper with.
Old January 29, 2015, 06:13 PM   #7
skizzums

that's y favorite bullet for a snubbie. I prefer hp38 or titegroup. what kind of powder do you have available? titegroup is great because there is almost zero flash, use a magnum primer and work-up to a max of 5.0. hs-6 would be okay too, but your not going to utilize it all, at least I wouldn't think

the one on the bottom is the 125gr XTP using titgroup from a 1.8" barrel, the top is the same load from a 20" bbl

Last edited by skizzums; January 29, 2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old January 29, 2015, 06:30 PM   #8
98 220 swift

Powders I have AA no 5 bullseye red dot blue dot hp-38 unique hs-6 and some 296 (probably too slow)
Old January 29, 2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Kframe

HS-6 would be my first choice in a snubbie, then either Red Dot or Bullseye.
Old January 29, 2015, 08:24 PM   #10
skizzums

no 5 and hs-6 have essentially the same rate. HP38 with do the best if your avoiding flash, but hs-6 /no 5 will get you a bit more velocity, just depends what's important to you. for practice loads like you said, hp38 would not only shoot a little nicer, it would also save you a lot of powder. hp38 also matches the velocity that hornadays factory 125gr +p advertises
Old January 30, 2015, 01:15 AM   #11
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I am also thinking HS-6. or possibly AA-5.
Well I'm in the camp with the other fellows who recommend a fast powder because of the short barrel. Like skizzums said - HP-38 is a great choice. Yes, slower powders (like the HS-6 and AA5 you mention) will yield a higher velocity, but it will come at the expense of more recoil and a large flame bloom - as skizzums said.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't load with HS-6 or AA5. It just means the ammo will be "out of balance" to the firearm shooting it. Personal preference.

Personal experience:

I would advise against HS-6. Not because it's the wrong burn rate. But because I have never had good luck with it in 38 Special. And I've tried countless combinations over decades. It just doesn't burn consistent in the lower pressure 38 Special cartridge. 38 Special is just not a comfortable home for HS-6. I stopped loading HS-6 in 38 & 44 Special entirely. It does much better in higher pressure cartridges - like 9mm, 10mm, and 357 Magnum. Just sayin'.

AA5 however, is a clean burner at lower pressures. Of these two, I'd definitely go with the AA5. At that, I still recommend loading it up pretty good. Work up for safety of course; but you'll find AA5 shooting nice when you get it up there a bit.
Old January 30, 2015, 10:20 AM   #12
TimSr

What is your non-practice ammo? Best to try to simulate it in velocity, as your height of impact can vary greatly. Most snubbies with fixed sights are sighted for slower heavier bullets. Its not that noticeable at very close range, but when you get out to 75ft, it can be quite significant.
Old January 30, 2015, 03:27 PM   #13
jtmckinney

Quote:
What is your non-practice ammo? Best to try to simulate it in velocity, as your height of impact can vary greatly. Most snubbies with fixed sights are sighted for slower heavier bullets.
I agree with this, I use 158 grain in my defence rounds and also practice with same and the POI is 3 to 4 inches higher (and much closer to point of aim, maybe 1 inch low for me) at 7 yards than 125 grain bullets from my 38 Special hammerless snubbie.
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"