The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 30, 2012, 05:27 PM   #51
ScotchMan

I have four for each of my "primary" guns. Three for the one that I am just kinda hanging on to for no reason. However, I have realized that five is the ideal number for me. That way, I can keep two loaded with carry ammo, and have three for the range, training, and IDPA use. Its annoying unloading mags just to use them in a class, and then reload them after.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old September 30, 2012, 08:26 PM   #52
MLeake

FairWarning, while your intent:
Quote:
I was referring more to the Mall Ninja variety than organized competition when I said you can't use 20.
was valid, the problem is that a lot of people will immediately assume "you have 12 magazines? Are you some kind of Mall Ninja?"

Typically those people are not serious shooters.

The people who say they have only one magazine probably don't practice much. (BlueTrain has made a point in many threads that he doesn't have much discretionary income for ammunition, so he practices very little.)

My point remains that there are valid reasons, which have nothing to do with Mall Ninjahood, for owning what some people would find to be excessive or at least redundant gear.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:18 PM   #53
Locoweed

I generally have at least five extras for everything. For my G-22 I have ten hi-caps and two ten rounders that came with the gun when I bought it during the AWB some years back. Not relevant to pistols but I had three M-4 types and a total of 75 mags. You can never have too many mags.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:21 PM   #54
carguychris

Quote:
However, I have realized that five is the ideal number for me. That way, I can keep two loaded with carry ammo, and have three for the range, training, and IDPA use.
+1. FWIW I've found that, for me, taking more than 3 mags per pistol to the range is overkill. It becomes more work to keep track of my spares than to reload the ones I've used. Leaving a $35 mag at the range sucks, done it once, don't want to repeat it.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:55 PM   #55
hikingman

Four mags. minimum.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:15 PM   #56
ChaseReynolds

I only have the two that came with my smith and wesson and the three that came with the FN. I would like to buy more but my LGS never has the 15 round for .40SW and they don't even carry FN mags period. I plan on buying more when the opportunity presents itself but until then I will ponder philosophy and politics while I reload my two mags.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:49 PM   #57
Jo6pak

I try to have at least 3
Old October 2, 2012, 05:27 AM   #58
ROCK6

I have to agree with MLeake. I would say no less than 4-5 magazines per pistol, but most have no less than 12 magazines; I like more for my single stack handguns. It’s less need than efficiency when at the range and doing drills. I like to load up the night before, but more importantly, I can run through several drills without interruption. If your shooting drills (or competitive shooting) involve at least a few hundred rounds, it’s much easier with a dozen or more magazines. You need at least one for self defense, but if you’re serious about practicing several magazines will make your practice more efficient and consistent.

ROCK6
Old October 2, 2012, 06:08 AM   #59
dfsixstring

I have a min of 2 mags for all of my firearms. My EDC I have 3.

RST4S
SR9c
LCP
Old October 2, 2012, 09:53 AM   #60
TunnelRat

I typically have 6 total. 3 that stay loaded for carry/home defense and 3 for the range. I like to look for used ones at gun stores too in case I am looking to take a class.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 2, 2012, 12:16 PM   #61
Skans

3-4 magazines will last me a lifetime.
Old October 2, 2012, 12:50 PM   #62
wayneinFL

Depends on what I use it for. If it's a range gun, one is enough. IDPA or IPSC, I have 5. Carry gun has 2 or 3.

Some I have more. I went around looking for Beretta 92 mags yesterday. Turns out I have 10- mostly GI mags. I've picked them up for as little as $5. A lot of 1911 mags, too. I've traded/sold a few over the years and never bothered to trade away mags.