The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2011, 11:49 PM   #1
lasvegastransplant

Bersa T 380 and Cast Bullets

First off I'm new here and looking forward to learning and maybe helping someone some day myself. Hello..

I'm getting into reloading and just purchased a used(like new) Lee 3 hole turret. Since 380 is so expensive I was wondering if I could shoot lead not FMJ through the Bersa. I(Wife mostly) would like to shoot minimum of 100-200 rounds a month. That's like $66 for 2 x100 boxes here where I live. More than I'd like to spend. I want to save as much $ as possible. Anyone shoot cast bullets through your 380? What grain round or flat tip?

Anyone here cast them? I would buy them by the 1000 if they worked through the Bersa. I don't mind cleaning out all the junk. Would lead bullets present a problem with only 200 rounds? Many questions.

And could hs6 be used in a 380 load? Have some for used for 9mm and wondering if possible. Everything I read so far looks like a NO. Thanks for reading.
Thinking 4:24/7 is a way of life.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:10 AM   #2
CherokeeT

Welcome to the forum. I load and shoot my cast bullets in my 380's with good results. My friend with a Bersa has shot some and they worked fine for him. The bullet I use is 109 gr truncated cone design and will hit 800 to 1000 fps depending upon the load. I use 231 and Bluedot. Never tried HS6 but it should work with careful load development, just not the best. 231 (HP38) is the best for general use in my experience, but I've not tried all the posibilities. There are lots of CB's for the 380 available from commercial casters.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:43 AM   #3
jmortimer

Rim Rock Bullets makes the bullets used by Buffalo Bore, the 100 hard cast grain FP. If it feeds than that would be a great choice. I'm going to order some of the Rim Rock and the Penn 100 grain TC and see which one my Thunder .380 likes the best.
http://www.rimrockbullets.net/catalog/
http://www.pennbullets.com/
Old May 16, 2011, 11:17 AM   #4
lasvegastransplant

Anyone ever buy bullets here.

They have a 95gr RN with Moly coated bullets here http://www.getbulletsandbrass.com/Mo...d_bullets.html What do you think? $56 for 1000. After shipping it would be $71. What are the ups and downs to using moly bullets? I'm going to do a little reading on this. I saw something that said it decreases the charge somehow. ??
Old May 16, 2011, 12:10 PM   #5
TechAlG

My Bersa Thunder .380 will eat cast all day long, very little (if any) leading. I load them over titegroup, so can't answer your question about powder. Before i cast, I used the 95 gr, .356 bullets from a local company. They do ship.

Moyer's Cast Bullets

Also, great folks, who are very nice to work with.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Smaug

I've used cast bullets in my "Pre-Thunder" Bersa 380

They work fine, but they are dirtier.

Since they need lube, the lube burns up and creates a lot more smoke when shooting.

This means more fouling.

Sometimes, it takes me a while to clean all the lead out too.

So I just shop a little more to find a good price on plated bullets (not jacketed) instead of saving that last few cents on cast & lubed.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old May 16, 2011, 10:52 PM   #7
Sky Master

I've been casting Lee 358-105 swc for use in mine, works fine.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:42 PM   #8
slugoo

www.powdervalleyinc.com has 100gr Berrys Bullets in 380 for less than $60.00 per thousand pluss shipping, they'll take speed up to 1200fps. Those are RNFP AND RNHB copper plated, That's what I use
Old May 18, 2011, 08:51 PM   #9
zxcvbob

My Keltec .380 eats 95 grain round-nosed cast bullet like candy. I've also bought a big box of 100 grain plated bullets and a hundred 102 grain Golden Saber JHP's but haven't tried either yet.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:29 AM   #10
R.Ph. 380

Berry's perfect plated RNHB is the best plinking, inexpensive bullet. Love them in both the 380 and 45

The Bill Of Rights: Void Where Progressives Roam
Old May 20, 2011, 11:55 AM   #11
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
I've been casting Lee 358-105 swc for use in mine, works fine.
Yup.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 30, 2011, 04:32 AM   #12
lasvegastransplant

Where can I find a 6 cavity 380 auto mold?

I need to find a 6 cavity mold 90-100 grain max. I can't find one anywhere 100gr or less with 6 and 356 diameter. I looked plenty of times with no luck. Any info guys? Thanks
Old May 30, 2011, 09:36 AM   #13
reloader28

The Lee one is the closest that I've seen. Thats the one I'm thinking of buying.

Tho I've seriously looked at the 100gr Ranch Dog mold. Flat nose, 6 cavity, but it has tumble lube grooves and I dont know if I can use normal lube and lube sizer.

My 125 Lyman cone nose bullets work good enough, but I'm going to try a lighter bullet and see if I can tighten the group a little.

Last edited by reloader28; May 30, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:36 PM   #14
Nosparetime

I have loaded and shot 95gr lead bullets in my Beretta and in my brother-in-laws Colt. No problem. The last ones I got from Dillon.

Try Berry's, the price for their plated bullets will almost be the same as what you said the lead ones are.
Old June 1, 2011, 10:55 PM   #15
lasvegastransplant

Finally going to reload 380 and have a question about POWDERS

I'm going to use 100gr RN lead I see that I can use accurate #'s 2 and 5. I called Bass Pro Shop here and they didn't have any.

My question is can I use unique? I have a pound of it. If so, how many grains is a good starting point and max? Have you ever loaded 380 with unique? Thanks.
Old June 1, 2011, 11:22 PM   #16
zxcvbob

Unique is what I use for full-power .380's; 4.2 grains with 95 grains cast bullets. It is a top performing powder according to QuickLoad. Drop that back to about 4.0 with 100 grain bullets.
Old June 1, 2011, 11:44 PM   #17
lasvegastransplant

Thank You

I'm reading this accurate handbook and it says that unique is comparative to #5. The data I see for accurate #5 is 4.1 to 4.5. Is that bad? I think I'm going to go with 4 grains of UNIQUE and see if it cycles. I want to keep reloading as cheap as possible. So if it will cycle, thats perfect.

When accurate says unique is camparative to #5 does that mean the load data is the same straight across? I will start at 4 and work up but do you think 4.5 is TOO much ???

Thanks for your expertise. Take care
Old June 2, 2011, 05:46 AM   #18
zxcvbob

Quote:
I'm reading this accurate handbook and it says that unique is comparative to #5. The data I see for accurate #5 is 4.1 to 4.5. Is that bad? I think I'm going to go with 4 grains of UNIQUE and see if it cycles. I want to keep reloading as cheap as possible. So if it will cycle, thats perfect.

When accurate says unique is camparative to #5 does that mean the load data is the same straight across? I will start at 4 and work up but do you think 4.5 is TOO much ???
They are not the same; they just have similar uses and charge weights. I think 4.5 grains of Unique is way too much. That doesn't mean it will blow your gun up.

Try 3.5 and see if it cycles. Go up from there. Stop at 4.0, unless you find a load you really like before you get there.
Old June 2, 2011, 03:16 PM   #19
lasvegastransplant

I did A LOT of reading...

I have come to the conclusion that I should start at 3.5. I'm not looking for a hot round anyways. However I did read one thread that claimed to start at 2.7 to 3.5 max with unique...??? I'm going to try one or two at 2.7 and see what happens(it wont get stuck will it?)..

BOB I do agree that 3.5 is a good starting point.

I am also having issues with the LEE auto disc. I throws inconsistent. Do I have to load the powder by hand with unique since it's kind of a large(not ball) powder? WAY OFF WITH THE AUTO DISC in weight.

Plus I got a used RCBS 5-10 scale and I can't tell if it is calibrated. I have looked for calibration weights but they are all HUGE. I want to calibrate it with something tiny not 100grams or more. Where can I find small weights in grains(if they make them). I tried the PENNY thing and it was pretty darn close. Is a penny good enough to calibrate it so I can weigh 3.5 grains? I know I ask a lot of questions but I have to. I shoot with the family cannot make a mistake. Thanks for reading
Old June 2, 2011, 05:23 PM   #20
zxcvbob

I use a dime to check my scales. It weighs exactly 35 grains. (a nickel weighs 5 grams) I wrote "35" with a Sharpie on the dime and keep it on my reloading bench so I always use the same one.
Old June 18, 2011, 07:47 PM   #21
lasvegastransplant

I loaded some 380 finally today

I have read that the Lee Auto Disc has issues with flaky powders. Which I did...I'm using Unique.

After A LOT of trial and error and testing my old scale, I loaded them with 3.2-3.3 grains(OAL .981). 100gr lead RN bullet. I got the auto disc to throw 3.2-3.3 pretty consistent so I stuck with it as a starting point. I will eventually get a powder that will throw better in the auto disc. I will have to learn with Unique which is OK I guess.

I have not shot these few tester rounds yet but I will soon. Reloading is pretty simple once dialed in. Just a lot of TRIPLE checking on my part since I'm new to reloading. I ruined 3 bullets since I don't have a bullet puller. Oh well it was worth it. The gentleman I purchased bullets from threw in like 10 extra 95 grain to try out.

Take care
Old June 27, 2011, 01:49 AM   #22
RMcL

The least expensive approach...

...would be to purchase an otherwise identical Bersa or Firestorm in .22LR.

http://gunblast.com/Bersa-Thunder22.htm
Old July 12, 2015, 11:20 PM   #23
Newtire

Bersa lead friendly

I have had good success with the Lee 95 gr. RF. The Bersa I have shoots about anything lead I put into it. The liquid alox lube works well as does the carnauba red, even with the meager lube grooves the Lee boolit has. I used 3.2 gr. Red Dot or the same with Win. 231. 4.2 gr. Un2que did the trick also. That Bersa is one dependable gun!