The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2010, 06:06 PM   #1
treeman

Home Insurance and reloading question

Wife works for an insurance company, and an underwriter told her our Homeowners policy would be cancelled if I do reloading in my basement. Anybody know if this is true? Where can I find info on this?
Old December 13, 2010, 06:18 PM   #2
k in AR

Have to read all the fine print. I know for a fact that some companies will refuse to pay a claim if you have a gun range or run a part time business out of your home. They always seem happy to take your payment until you have any kind of claim then they CX you & refuse to pay. Trust me, been there.
Old December 13, 2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Rifleman1776

Call your insurance agent and/or the state insurance commission.
Personally, I doubt that is true. Reloading is a legitimate avocation and certainly no more dangerous than having a shelf with paint solvents or a lawn mower stored.
Old December 13, 2010, 07:53 PM   #4
testuser

I doubt it. Although, you hear this myth quite a lot. There are generally limits to the safe number of primers and powders you can store in your home, though. I looked this up one time. I think a good rule of thumb is 9,000 primers and 15 lbs of powder.
Old December 13, 2010, 07:54 PM   #5
testuser

I doubt it. Although, you hear this myth quite a lot. There are generally limits to the "safe" number of primers and powders you can store in your home, though. I looked this up one time, I think a good rule of thumb is 9,000 primers and 15 lbs of powder.
Old December 14, 2010, 11:26 AM   #6
BigJimP

You won't find it written anywhere - its probably an "underwriting criteria" based on business ventures being run out of your home ..."business ventures" being run out of your home can be an issue for a lot of insurance companies. They don't want the extra exposure from a lot of client foot-traffic or to be sucked into a lawsuit from business exposures.

The key issue, is if you reload as a "business" where you are selling reloads, yes, you will probably be cancelled - or you may have a problem if you were to have a major fire or something and it was aggravated by the amount of powder, etc you have stored. If you're doing it as a hobby - no, its probably fine. As a hobby - just make sure you do not exceed the components allowed by your local fire marshall, etc. and that you have them stored properly.

If you get into it as a business - you really need Commercial General Liability insuarnce - and your homeowners won't protect you there either - just don't sell any reloads and you're probably fine. I don't recommend getting into the business of selling reloads ...the insurance is going to be "really" expensive / if you can even find it - unless you're really a "legitimate factory operation" vs just reloading out of your basement.

Last edited by BigJimP; December 14, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old December 14, 2010, 12:19 PM   #7
overkill0084

Every year before renewal, call your Ins Co. and go through your policy. Do you have enough coverage? Have you remodeled? Do you need a rider for firearms or jewelry? Have you added an alarm system? What is the replacement cost of your house and all your stuff? Make sure your policy meets your needs. CYA
And no, I don't work for the ins industry.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old December 14, 2010, 01:46 PM   #8
zippy13

BigJimP's advice is another reason to avoid selling your reloads. You don't want to get into trouble with BATF&E as well as your insurance carrier.
Old December 14, 2010, 02:04 PM   #9
jimbob86

Quote:
Have to read all the fine print. I know for a fact that some companies will refuse to pay a claim if you have a gun range or run a part time business out of your home.
Roger that. I have to have a separate policy to cover my business stuff. Higher risk to more expensive items (fire and theft) requires it. It is a business, not a charity: they have to make money, or close up shop.

Quote:
They always seem happy to take your payment until you have any kind of claim then they CX you & refuse to pay. Trust me, been there.
When you shop for insurance, there are better criteria for picking a company than Lowest Price: get a company with an Agent you can trust. Ask around- if they are refusing to pay, or cancelling coverage on people who have made a claim, that leaves a bad rep with other business owners. I have had State Farm for ....... ever, I think. 3 different agents have come and gone. No problems ever w/ them paying a claim..... the Agent even came out in the middle of the night when our basement flooded, arranged restoration serices, etc. ...... sure, there are probably cheaper insurance companies out there.... but I would not switch.
Old December 14, 2010, 04:57 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

I have three rules for insurance:
1. Don't use USAA.
Too many friends of mine had their policies cancelled on the first claim, for any type of policy - auto/home/boat/renter's/etc, but especially auto policies. It may not be "standard practice", but it really put my friends in a bind.

2. Talk to your agent, and be honest.
They don't automatically know everything about you, or what you do with your home/car/ATVs.

3. Read the fine print.
If you're too damned ignorant to find out what the policy actually covers, then there is no one to blame when your claim is not paid.

For home owner's insurance, I went with a company that recognizes the need to keep flammable and explosive substances on residential property. (My previous insurance company had a clause in the policy that kept them from having to pay a fire claim if they found gasoline, spray paint, or even isopropyl alcohol on the property - even if it was stored legally.)
So long as I stay within the limits of state, federal, county, and city ordinances, I can keep whatever I want on my property.

Because my powder and primer supply has exceeded the "open storage" limit set at Federal and county levels, I am in the process of building two powder magazines for my basement. However, my insurance policy still covers the property - I'm doing nothing illegal (once they're finished.... right now, I'm a couple pounds over the limit for powder).
Old December 15, 2010, 10:42 AM   #11
overkill0084

We just had a claim and renewal back to back with our USAA Auto policy. No issues. The claim was handled in an outstanding manner.
I've heard the same "one claim & you're cancelled" statement about nearly every company out there. I'm thinking that there is more to it than just what the cancelled individual has said. Too many variables to accept a blanket statement like that on face value.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old December 15, 2010, 11:02 AM   #12
CPTMurdoc30

I have had USAA ins since I joined the military in 1995. We have two cars a house and firearms. When I lived on post I had renters ins.

we have made a few claims on out ins 3 home and 1 car. They got things taken care of quick fast and in a hurry for us. The 3 claims were for power outage and 2 for water damage do to plumbing failures. Adjusters came were professional quick thorough and explained everything to us. The one car claim was for a hit and run my wife was involved in. They paid 100% of the price with no questions about it. Only had to get one quote for repair.

That is just me and my experience with USAA.

I wouldn't use Geico ever. The prices are high they treat you like a criminal and they treat their employees like crap. My parents have had State Farm
Old December 15, 2010, 02:52 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
Too many variables to accept a blanket statement like that on face value.
That's exactly why I said they were my rules, and it may not be USAA's standard practice.
Old December 15, 2010, 04:53 PM   #14
spacemanspiff

Sounds more like the personal bias of the underwriter. I word for an underwriting office and while we don't do a lot of personal lines (homeowners) thats the first I've heard of it.

Do a google search for 'Acord Homeowners Application', see what questions are asked, if there is anything regarding reloading or combustible materials. If not, I wouldnt worry.

edit - the acord app i just looked at asked no questions at all about anything that would be related to reloading or storage of powder/primers/etc.
Old December 15, 2010, 05:47 PM   #15
Volucris

It's just really important to go up the ladder of the company until you get definite answers on how they regard it.

If you want to play it safe, get a flammable materials locker for your powder. Don't store primers in anything but the original containers and keep them in open space.
Old December 15, 2010, 05:49 PM   #16
BigJimP

Any application out there - will ask if there is any business conducted on premises ....and if the answer is yes, you will have to explain what the business is .... and if its "reloading ammunition" ...or "making fireworks" or you have a "professional welding shop business" in your basement -- you probably won't get a policy from any reputable insurance company. If you say no, and lie, then you may have a big issue in the event of a major loss - especially if some portion of the loss is attrubuted to how you stored powder, etc.

Periodically, all insurance companies will mail out renewal questionaires - and all of them I've ever seen, will ask if there is any business being conducted on premises ( same issue as above ) ...any pets & breeds, age of roof, etc .

Depending on the age of the home - the insurance company, on renewal, may ask to conduct an on-site inspection looking for elec issues, roof conditions, general condition of property - and any inspector with the common sense of a grapefruit would certainly note a "reloading room" - or "shop" in your home - and probably ask about your storage / fire code compliance, etc .....

The real issue here is whether its a business ....vs a hobby...

Unless there is a violation of a "fire code" ....then you may have a different issue. Keep it a hobby ( don't sell reloads ) and make sure you know what the fire codes for your area are / and obey them ...and you'll probably be fine.
Old December 15, 2010, 07:57 PM   #17
jepp2

From what I have seen, the local Fire Marshall regulations set the limits on powder and primers that you can store and be in compliance. DOT sets the regulations as you transport them.

If you are found to be storing in excess of the limits set in the regulations, and the insurance company determines that was a contributing factor in the loss, then I would expect them to limit their losses, regardless what your policy states.
Old December 16, 2010, 03:53 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

If you are reloading for yourself, only, how could it be a business?
Old December 16, 2010, 05:35 PM   #19
BigJimP

Its not a business unless you're selling reloads....in my opinion...

but the OP never really said whether he was doing it for his own use / or as a business.
Old December 16, 2010, 08:47 PM   #20
silvercorvette

Good topic because 3 years after moving to SC I am ready to start reloading again. I have more rooms in my house than I know what to do with so I was thinking of setting up in a spare bedroom, But I also built an extra garage next to my house which would also be a good place to set up. In my old house in NY I used a barbeque tank propane heater to heat up the garage and although the SC garage is bigger with a high ceiling it wouldn't be hard to heat because the outside temps aren't bad in SC. I am going to check with my insurance agent befor I decide where to set up
Old December 17, 2010, 11:13 AM   #21
brickeyee

Read the policy.

Including ALL the fine print.

If you have an 'all perils' policy, only things specifically excluded in writing in the policy are NOT covered.

As the author of the contract the insurance company loses if their is ANY ambiguity in the contract.

A verbal answer means NOTHING.
The contract is the written policy that controls the agreement.

Only a change must be in writing to be valid, and even them must be signed by someone with enough authority to alter the contract for the insurance company (not just an agent).
Old December 30, 2010, 06:49 AM   #22
ohcnap

Let me play Dr phil here.Is your wife OK with you reloading,has she ever in the pass expresed safety concerns about it,does she feel somehow neglected becouse your hobby.you know where I am going with this ,do you?

Last edited by ohcnap; December 30, 2010 at 07:21 AM.