The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2005, 10:53 AM   #1
dodgestdshift

Digital Scale warning

Yesterday, I forgot to warm up my RCBS (PACT) Powder Pro digital powder scale. After loading about 50 cases, I noticed that when I placed the empty scale pan on the scale it read 1 grain. Sure enough the "zero" had wandered and all of my loads were about 1 grain light. After breaking down the 50 loads, fortunately I had only set the bullets on the belled cases and hadn't seated them, I had to trickle in the the rest of the required load.

Conclusion:

1) MOST IMPORTANT, ALWAYS ALLOW THE SCALE TO WARM UP FOR AT LEAST 20 MINUTES.
2) Watch what you are doing, frequently check the scale to make sure the "zero" hasn't wandered. This is easily accomplished by setting the empty scale pan on the scale. It should read zero.
3) This may be controversial - Always charge all your cases then check the powder levels in them in good light compared to the others. Empty cases and double charges will stand out. I don't think it is a good idea to charge a case, and immediately seat the bullet.

Don N.

Last edited by dodgestdshift; September 9, 2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old September 9, 2005, 11:36 PM   #2
BILLY D.

mine is never unplugged. and it still has to be reset.

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old September 10, 2005, 08:12 AM   #3
kkb

Here's another tip for the PACT: If the temperature changes more that a few degrees it's time to recal. Even though it'll still autozero I find weights will wander under a grain if the temp changes, say by 3 degrees.

A quick confidence check is to note what your pan weighs just after doing a cal, then every so often zero without the pan in place and verify the pan weight.
Old September 10, 2005, 08:53 AM   #4
Russ5924

The one I had needed to be recalibrate every time that it was used even if you had just used it two minutes before.Got to the point I just didn't trust it anymore and after it messed up was more than happy to send it back.