The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 28, 2006, 05:54 AM   #1
razorburn

Anyone else not like concealed carry

I don't. No, I'm not talking about being opposed to it on some moral or social stance. I'm a ccw. But I go a lot of places where a gun does not fit well. I don't carry in the gym. The gun just cannot be worn securely during intense exercise, and it's extemely difficult to conceal. I don't carry on dates or when I go out with friends expecting to meet girls. I keep it locked in the glove compartment then. All the girls I meet are liberal, and with the a high chance they will feel the gun on me when we're touching each others bodies, I prefer not to have my dates ending with the girl running away screaming and terrified. Yes, I could get around this dating conservative girls, but that's extremely difficult to find any my age and in this sort of environment, plus meeting my need to find them physically attractive. And the less I carry, the more uncomfortable I feel during the times I do strap my gun on. The weight and bulk feel more and more uncomfortable to me, and I'm finding myself coming up with extra excuses to not have the gun on me. I still shoot a lot, and the gun feels perfectly natural in my hand, that has not declined in the least. I just don't like to carry anymore. Anyone else the same way?
Old July 28, 2006, 06:04 AM   #2
Epyon

I guess I'm lucky...

My girlfriend of three years was a fence sitter when it came to guns. Once I taught her the value of upholding the Constitution, the need for firearms, and just how great shooting can be by taking her to the range one day, she came around. Now she's a better shot than I am! She tends to be more liberal like me than conservative... I guess she's what we call... a keeper!! There are women out there who don't mind guns, you just have to keep looking.

Epyon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old July 28, 2006, 06:52 AM   #3
cscoios

There are many options to CCW. I understand you don't want to be made while getting to know someone, or when getting intiment.

What about ankle carry? Unless you are wearing shorts on your dates, no one will ever know.

What about a smartcarry setup? Totally hidden except for those very intiment moments. She might say, "Is that a gun in your pants, or are you happy to see me"? Either way, you win.
Old July 28, 2006, 07:22 AM   #4
WoodsWally

It bears repeating... but there's a new twist.

It's been said that if you are not comfortable carrying you shouldn't carry.

Usually that's around the potential need to use the gun... if you are not comfortable using it, why carry it? You actually become a hazard to yourself and innocent bystanders. I realize that is not exactly the issue here... or is it?

I think you'd do well decide how a gun "fits" your life. If "concealed carry" means concealing your basic values and/or principles from people (women) you are trying to develop a relationship with, it doesn't make sense. I guess I'd wonder if I had the wrong values or the wrong women.

Admittedly I'm a lot older and not out trying to score (except when I shoot LOL), but I'd say in relationships it's important to be who you are. That includes whether or not you are going to carry... and how you are going to carry.

Love me, love my gun?

Sometimes carrying is a pain... for practical reasons... like where to conceal it. So you make decisions. There are guys who stuff their piece in their speedos I'm told. Better than socks or a potato! LOL Sorry, having way too much fun with this... the serious point is that carrying is a fairly individualize "like" that has different dimensions, including a risk/reward assessment and clear understanding of why I'm carrying. There are times I want it in my pocket; there are times it's not even with me. I don't always like carrying, but I always like having the ability to make that choice.
Old July 28, 2006, 07:55 AM   #5
Odd-Job

What are you going to do when your date/girlfriend finds out that you even own firearms,let alone have a ccw?.They will eventually.Any woman that can't see the value of firearms/self defense,and our Constitutional rights i would be very reluctant to get involved with.
Old July 28, 2006, 08:20 AM   #6
symr00

I agree with odd-job. Are you saying all hot chicks are Liberals or only the slutty ones that you'll be peeling clothes off on the first date are ? If I was in your situation, I would probably carry a S&W 642 or Kel-Tec P3AT in a pocket holster. Probably the latter because it can be explained as a wallet if it's discovered while being groped and it won't be noticed when you take your clothes off like a belt holster would.
Old July 28, 2006, 09:11 AM   #7
Musketeer

Quote:
What are you going to do when your date/girlfriend finds out that you even own firearms,let alone have a ccw?.They will eventually.Any woman that can't see the value of firearms/self defense,and our Constitutional rights i would be very reluctant to get involved with.
I am getting the impression he is not planning on any involvement longer than a couple hours.

Ment typically think with one of two organs. Which one is doing the thinking here?
Old July 28, 2006, 09:11 AM   #8
DAVID NANCARROW

If they do not accept me as a gun toting conservative, I want nothing at all to do with them, period. My rights are my rights, and I will not have some high tone goofy liberal, male or female making decisions for me, thank you very much. Get some control of your situation-if you have to wait and search around a bit for a proper mate, do it. You won't be sorry.
Old July 28, 2006, 09:19 AM   #9
marshall2

Get a p3at

You want to carry, but you really don't want to worry about it. What you need is a really small gun that you will forget about until you need it. Get a Kel-Tec p3at, and keep it zipped in its little case, and in your front pocket. Even if you take it out and set it on the table in a restaurant, no one will even know what it is but you.

You won't get a quick draw, for sure, but you will have your gun with you, and it won't become a barrier for anyone.

http://www.mouseguns.com/ideal2.htm
Old July 28, 2006, 09:26 AM   #10
threefivesevenmag

It's not about liberal vs. conservative.

Any side can have multiple views about guns and handgun carry.

The point is, if you're not comfortable with someone feeling your gun, carry it in a different manner.

It is true, if someone is fundamentally against something you value, there will be an issue that rises in the future.

Being an avid shooter, I don't care what anyone thinks about my carrying and shooting. It's none of their business. Now, if it's someone I love, respect, or honor...well more than likely they won't care that I have an interest in my basic freedom of self protection and marksmanship practice.

And trust me, respect and trust are two of the most important pieces to any relationship.

If you feel the uncomfortable burden of carrying daily, cease or find another more comfortable setup/handgun. If you just don't want to carry because "someone new" might make you...well, stop carrying or don't allow them to "make" you until they know you carry. If they run, let them.
Old July 28, 2006, 10:22 AM   #11
pax

Quote:
...Yes, I could get around this dating conservative girls, but that's extremely difficult to find any my age and in this sort of environment, plus meeting my need to find them physically attractive.
razorburn,

You're very young. When you finish growing up, you will discover that it is far better to be hated for what you are than it is to be loved for what you are not.

Meanwhile, yeah, I know what you mean about carrying the gun not being comfortable at all times and places. That's one of the (many) reasons I decided that carrying the gun would be my default setting, and that I would always carry everywhere it was legal to do so. Far easier that way than it is to constantly be fiddling with the firearm in public, or leaving it at home and then ending up somewhere I don't feel safe without it, or constantly worried/wondering whether I should put it on or not. If I'm dressed, I'm wearing it, and that's all there is to it.

pax
Old July 28, 2006, 10:40 AM   #12
AirForceShooter

it's your gun.
Your ccw.
your life.

Do as you please.
that's part of being free.

As for liberal girls you're not observing closely enough.
I dated a Bronx, jewish, liberal, Syracuse University grad that it turned out loved guns. Her folks would have been horrified.
Oh, I married her 37 years ago.

now we've escaped NY.
She carries.

AFS
Old July 28, 2006, 10:55 AM   #13
Samurai

Concerning the "girls" issue, all I can say is that my fiancee taught me how to shoot 1911. (She wanted to teach me to shoot the .44 magnum, but it hurt my hand!) She doesn't care in the least if I carry.

But, I understand and definitely relate that there are alot of situations in which you really should carry, but you just can't. I am currently in a university setting, and weapons are prohibited on all university land. So, that eliminates most of my daily carry. I go to alot of bars, (in my opinion, locations that provide the best reasons to carry), and you can't carry where alcohol is served. So, when she and I go on dates late at night to the bars, we can't carry. I train in martial arts ALL THE TIME. My dojo is located on university property...

About the only place I get to carry is when we go out to a movie. And, I am getting to the point to where I want to go to the movies often, JUST so that I can stay in the practice of carrying.

So, I can definitely relate to your frustrations.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old July 28, 2006, 07:21 PM   #14
razorburn

It's college so 99% of us are 18-22 and liberal.

Honestly, when I think of con girls, I think those politicians and ann coulter and so forth.... not really all that attractive. I don't know many young conservatives male or female in real life, so I think that's why I have as an image of con girls as those old, unattractive political figures .

I don't know about girls political leanings until I talk to her. After I already make the effort to talk up a cute girl, and she's pretty, funny, make each other laugh, make each other smile I already kinda like her and know she wants me back, I find it very hard to turn her down over little political views that we're still developing and don't even have set in concrete yet. I don't think a lot of you guys could either. Especially when the same scenario happens 10 times in a row, and you still haven't found a conservative girl yet. Given a choice between CCW and celibacy, I think even die hard 2nd A men will have to think hard on it !

I actually find the girls usually don't have a real strong opinion on the 2nd one way or another, just they come from a place where guns are associated with danger and scary. I've actually never had a problem with girls leaving over gun ownership after we've gotten to know and like each other if it's carefully introduced to her under the right contexts and pretenses. If we've just met and are in that unattached casual phase, suddenly finding a locked and cocked handgun on me is not the right way to introduce her to gun ownership.

The zipped up mousegun sounds like a good idea though! It wouldn't be quick draw for sure, but would it still work well enough for most pp scenarios?
Old July 28, 2006, 07:41 PM   #15
dkb2003

I only carry when i have to.. Which is all the time. If you dont want to carry its ok, i guess. My wife has it her way,,,,, I CARRY ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!
Old July 28, 2006, 09:08 PM   #16
skeeter1

Well, you could always date Ann Coulter

I doubt that she'd mind. Of course, she's a little skinny for my taste.

I generally don't carry, and I don't have a CCW license or plan to get one. Given my druthers, I'd rather use a rifle. Not exactly a CCW, but a heckofalot more accurate.
Old July 28, 2006, 09:18 PM   #17
Bender711

A rifle isnt there when you need it.
Old July 28, 2006, 10:16 PM   #18
Hunter Rose

Location: 30 miles from Everywhere, right in the middle of Nowhere...
>Given my druthers, I'd rather use a rifle. Not exactly a CCW, but a heckofalot more accurate<

the way it was explained to me, the purpose of a handgun is to allow you to fight while on your way back to the rifle or shotgun you shouldn't have left behind in the first place. Since my rifles and shotguns are at home, I'll use the handgun to protect myself 'till I'm there, then switch up. Ain't my fault if the badguys don't follow me to get shot up with rifles or shotguns!

As for the whole dating thing: I'd carry everywhere I legally could, and let the chips fall where they may. Eventually, you'll find that pro-CCW young lady (and they ARE out there)!
Old July 28, 2006, 10:41 PM   #19
Harley Quinn

Yep

Said by Hunter Rose

As for the whole dating thing: I'd carry everywhere I legally could, and let the chips fall where they may. Eventually, you'll find that pro-CCW young lady (and they ARE out there)!

HQ mentions:

I believe you should tell um first, that way you would not talk about the subject all the time. Be up front and see how that works.

The problem I see is there really is a minority of people who actually carry concealed, so if you do it, it is something that a very small group in the community do. It may really have an adverse effect on the people you are with. So I am thinking don't carry on dates.

One way to get around it is to have a fanny/belly carrier.

Why do you have a ccw in the first place?

Being a LEO is one thing, being a ccw civilian is another. Believe it.

HQ
Old July 28, 2006, 11:11 PM   #20
tanksoldier

After the second or third date at least you have to tell them anyway.

People you're around alot need to know to GET AWAY FROM YOU if something happens. If the balloon goes up there's a very real possibility that incoming rounds will begin to impact in your vicinity. Anyone standing near you wondering what's going on may be hit.

My wife knows that if I say the word "combat" out of the blue, or in a sentence if we're already under duress, she doesn't ask questions or look around wondering why, she gets away from me and finds cover... because I'm about to shoot somebody.

Trust me, find a girl who likes guns and likes to shoot. It's a fun date activity, and girls who acknowlege the need for self-defense usually have their heads screwed on a bit better.

I've heard from a guy on another board who said that with his wife, their first date was church and the second was to the range. Find a girl who likes or at least accepts the things that are important to you. You'll be happier in the long run.

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Old July 29, 2006, 12:00 AM   #21
Hunter Rose

I have to disagree, HQ: why mention it right out? That (to my mind) would make the person in question sound like a freak...

And tank has a valid point: although to me, it isn't an issue of "incomming fire", but a situation of "I have a gun on. If something happens to me, grab it if you can before fleeing for safety"...
Old July 29, 2006, 12:07 AM   #22
rhgunguy

First date for me is shooting range, no exceptions. Puts it out in the open from the start. If they do not like me for me then why would I sleep with them? Respect yourself and your rights. There are plenty of very attractive, politicaly conservative girls out there, it just takes some work.

Girls are no reason not to carry.
Old July 29, 2006, 01:56 AM   #23
razorburn

I already typed out a reply, but it got lost.. oh well.

Anyway I always tell them after about a week or so, when we're in that good phase where we're more comfortable with each other, and still have that exciting new infatuation. About the gun ownership anyway. CCW really freaks some girls out, I'll get into that later. It's the whole "Why do you need to wear that for?! You're just getting a damn sandwich!" a lot of you guys may receive from family and friends. I just started carrying because for a while, I didn't have a car, just a motorcycle, and it was just too unsafe being completely exposed when I needed to travel late at night, or riding through bad neighborhoods. I had a couple panhandlers and wierdos come up, some being threatening, and when I was actually charged one night, I looked into a CCW. I used to only carry when I went riding at night, but after looking more into this and other gun sites, I just got into the habit of carrying as a daily habit.

Honestly, if everything else about the girl is great for me, I'm willing to compromise and go back to just carrying during night rides. I will definately draw the dead line at plain gun ownership. If a girl ever said it's the guns or me, her butt would be kicked out the door before she finished the sentence. But fortunately, that's never happened and even the very liberal girls I've been with will at least accept that I'm a gun owner. It's a lot harder than you guys think to find a pretty girl who not only accepts it, but actually likes guns and shooting.

I'm not going to approach a girl with the line "Hey, how's it going? I'm Eric, I like guns, I do concealed carry, and in fact, I've got a gun on me right now!" That'll instantly repel 90% of them, and the remaining 10% will start screaming and call the cops to give me a beating. And I'm not going to force a girl to have our first date on a shooting range, no more than I'll expect her to force me to have our first date in a shoe store. I just don't think that's fair. I will try to get them to at least give try sharing in my interests. But uou need to develop some kind of bond with a girl first so she has a reason to want to try liking guns. A couple were scared at first, but ended up liking it. This is not something I think I'm going to change.
Old July 29, 2006, 02:20 AM   #24
Hunter Rose

odd... I can think of several VERY attractive (and, last I checked, very single) ladies that would have no problem with dating a guy who CCWs (MIGHT have a problem if the guy couldn't at least match their range scores though)...
Old July 29, 2006, 04:02 AM   #25
razorburn

I meant here, at a liberal university town. Things may be different in a conservative state and town. In which case you lucky ones have my envy.