The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 12, 2014, 03:40 PM   #26
Nathan

Why are you guys freaking out?

Mom's Against Common Sense, Mom's For Criminals, MDT or whatever they call themselves has spent millions on this and they can't even get Panera to put up a freakin' free sign or call the police when an employee sees an open carried gun? We won! All gun owners want is to be able to legally carry and be equipped to defend ourselves. We got that!

Panera who is really just pandering to both sides is letting us do that.

Let the air out boys....we're winning despite idiots like a Open Carry Texas hurting our reputation for being normal peace loving folk.

If we want to really win, we sue the sign posting company's for creating a dangerous and harassing work environment. Maybe we ask OSHA to look at the dangers of working in a place where criminals shoot at you. I mean, they are about work place safety, right? Nothing more dangerous than being shot at work!

Or maybe we get customers in a robbery to file some sort of class action saying the signs left them defenseless in front of an armed criminal. If I'm on that jury, all I need is to see the sign to award that Plaintiff!

Last edited by Nathan; September 12, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old September 12, 2014, 08:55 PM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If we want to really win, we sue the sign posting company's for creating a dangerous and harassing work environment.
The chances of winning such a lawsuit, even in a gun-friendly locale, are pretty close to zero.
Old September 13, 2014, 08:45 AM   #28
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
The chances of winning such a lawsuit, even in a gun-friendly locale, are pretty close to zero.
That's if one could find an attorney to take such a case.
Old September 14, 2014, 12:27 AM   #29
Nathan

You can find an attorney for every argument....finding the ideal case and financial backing is the key.
Old September 15, 2014, 02:08 PM   #30
Nathan

No signs up. Enjoyed my soup.
Old October 8, 2014, 09:56 PM   #31
TDL

Quote:
Irking groups like MDA merely leads them into redoubling their efforts, hunting for another way to cause us hassle. It's hassle for CEOs, as well. Since the squeaky wheel gets greased more often, it could be that additional efforts might possibly succeed--which does not help us at all.
Art, I half disagree. Yes some open carry grandstanders allowed MDA to exploit this, but MDA efforts are not increased, or decreased, by anything we do or don't do.

NRA preaches to the choir and MDA is working the middle. When you preach to the choir it sure seems like your message is effective. But it just seems that way.

I have worked in DC nearly all my life and MDA is a sophisticated operation working with astroturf tactics but long term strategy with a social marketing element that has much better prospects than NRA creaking responses.

Painting this as a reaction by MDA is, in my opinion, wrong. In the arena of corporate policy, they are successfully attacking by chilling corporate behavior and policy in other areas without those (admittedly harmful) open carry advocates grandstanders. Look at the blocks on credit card processing and other actions. Was that a "reaction" by the gun control advocates to something gun rights people did? No.
Old October 9, 2014, 03:19 AM   #32
volkstrm

The Hell with Panera!! I will go in there anytime I want to get something to eat(love there food) & I will be carrying my sidearm! I have a CCW & that what I do. It's not the post office? It's not a court house? And no one is going to know it's there. And if someone does all they can do is ask me to leave & then I will.
Old October 11, 2014, 12:47 PM   #33
Snyper

Quote:
Quote:
If we want to really win, we sue the sign posting company's for creating a dangerous and harassing work environment.
There would be no winners there

Panera didn't ban guns.
They simply placated the whiners with their statement
Old October 11, 2014, 01:50 PM   #34
Glenn E. Meyer

There are no legal signs on P Breads around me in TX. So, I wouldn't sweat it.