The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 18, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Lets talk Flint Locks?

BCarps post really got my curiosity stirring. Now I don't know squat about a flintlock. I've never shot one or seen one in person being fired. Now I know loading them is the same as a cap lock. But what keeps your priming powder from falling out? What I mean is, do you have to prime the pan just before you shoot? Or do you have to keep the rifle level to keep the ffff from falling out of the pan? I know this may sound silly to you veterans but I really don't have a clue. What is the difference between a Knapped flint and one that isn't. I seen that TOW has both. And how many times can you fire the rifle with one flint. So I have a big tall glass of sweet tea and am ready to be enlightened
Old January 18, 2013, 02:46 PM   #2
BCarp

The priming pan holds the priming powder, and the frizzen closes down over it, containing the priming powder in place until you fire the gun off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fl..._animation.gif

With a proper, tight-fitting frizzen you can move the gun around as much as you like, hold it upside-down or whatever, and your priming won't fall out. Towards the end of the flintlock era, there were even water-proof pans!

Knapped flints are shaped by hand by tapping at the right angles, using small steel tools, and are the most common. Some flints are sawn into shape. I never tried one of those.

The life of a flint really depends upon the lock. 30-50 shots is probably average, and you can re-knapp the flint edge yourself for more shots!

More guys should try flintlocks! They are not a mysterious art, and are quite reliable...!
Old January 18, 2013, 03:05 PM   #3
10851Man

Click! (hold steady and wait) BOOM!!!!!
Old January 18, 2013, 03:07 PM   #4
brazosdave

I got to fire one up at East Texas's place, and dang, it was fun!
Old January 18, 2013, 03:10 PM   #5
BCarp

Oh, no! With a good lock and fine priming powder, a flintlock's ignition is instantaneous with no discernible delay. No 'click, whoosh, bang' - just BANG!
Old January 18, 2013, 03:39 PM   #6
deerslayer303

Thanks, Love the flint lock animation for dummies. That explained alot.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:13 PM   #7
El Bango

My Dixie Tennessee Mtn. Rifle that I rebarrelled to .40 caliber is faster than all my caplocks and very accurate.Remember to "follow through" with your shot and remember that smokeless powder is a passing fad.Michael
Old January 21, 2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

All you have to do is look at a flint-lock to answer your questions. As to procedure and safety, do get knowledgable advice before venturing into the game.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Pahoo

Not a problem !!

Quote:
Oh, no! With a good lock and fine priming powder, a flintlock's ignition is instantaneous with no discernible delay.
A number of years ago, I attended an instrictor's class, conducted by the NMLRA. One of our instructors was a 27 year old kid and it was a joy to watch him load and shoot a flinter. There was little or no delay and this kid made it look so easy that it was discouraging. ....

Be Safe !!!