The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 8, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1
scouter27

Delisle commando carbine, magazine question: Any experts?

I saw a photo (a drawing, actually I think) long ago, and It might still be in a book at my father's house. It was a cut-away of a Delisle that showed the full SMLE magazine still in place, modified in a way that the 1911 mag was encased, but still removable. The full mag fixed and the spent 45ACP casings would eject down in to the velvet (as I recall) lined mag body.

Anyone have an example of this? Every photo I have found so far has been of just the 1911 mag.

Am I losing it, and inventing amazing things, or did I really see this?
Old June 9, 2010, 12:21 PM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Never seen a pic with the Enfield mag in place. Here's some info on the Delisle http://rifleman.org.uk/The_DeLisle_carbine.htm

Edited to add; I believe SAR did an article on the Delisle also at one time.
Old June 11, 2010, 12:01 AM   #3
4thPointofContact

I'm hesitant to say that NO Delisle's were produced that had the .45 magazine sticking out of the SMLE magazine, but all the ones that I'm SURE were original only had the ACP magazine. There are reproductions that use that method though.

Repro:
Old June 11, 2010, 12:15 AM   #4
scouter27

It wasn't like that at all, by my memory. The original magazine wasn't there for any purpose other than catching the spent casings. looking at that though, I don't think there is as much space as my mind has been envisioning. I'll have to go searching for it.
Old June 12, 2010, 05:21 PM   #5
4thPointofContact

Faux-Delisle built on an Ishapore 2A1 receiver (evidenced by the 7.62 style magazine).
Old June 12, 2010, 05:29 PM   #6
4thPointofContact

I can't lay my hands on a reference at the moment, but in the back of my mind is a memory that all the original Delisle carbines had their barrels set back during construction.