The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2013, 12:06 AM   #1
tmmccloud

Need some help with Unique 9mm load

I am new to reloading and have taken a lot of people's advice and read a few manuals and at the point where I am ready to start reloading. I have 124g fmj rn from precision delta, unique powder, and mixed brass. With Lyman's 49th there is no fmj so I was thinking of following the 124g hp load which says 4.5-5 but on alliants website it shows same hp type bullet same weight with a max of 5.8? Am I missing why there is such a variance? And I was thinking 1.130 for starting oal since I can't use either oal for these load data sources? Thanks in advance !!
Old February 2, 2013, 01:23 AM   #2
rg1

Seating shorter especially in 9mm will increase pressure. I seat 124 fmj's to 1.150" and they feed fine. Just check to make sure they will chamber and the slide will close in your pistol. I've read and agree that 4.8 grains is safe in any case with any 124 grain bullet and will operate the slide in most all pistols. I've found 4.8 grains is a very mild load with 3 or 4 different 124 fmj's I've loaded. For me 5.1-5.2 grains of Unique with 124 fmj's shoots well with no problems. My experience is that I wouldn't want to go over 5.5 especially in mixed brass. I load CCI SP primers. Just make sure you have good bullet tension in all your case brands.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:45 AM   #3
tmmccloud

So I had already made 10 with 4.5 before I came to the conclusion to use a forum. Should be ok? At this point is the best way to check loads by making 10 per .1 grains up to max? And check for reliability/ recoil/ accuracy/ over pressure?

Tags
9mm , precision delta , unique