The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 27, 2000, 02:02 PM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A few years ago, a friend sent me a Helle Knife, made in Scandanavia,and made very well. Since I have plenty of good knives, I admired the esthetics and put it in the cabinet where I keep my "pretty" knives, vs where I keep my using knives.

The model is a Tor, with a generous handle of curly birch and leather, and a sheath that's a bit,uh, traditional, as if were to be worn with jerkin and tights.The sheath's quite functional, tho.

So, despite it's obvious quality, it just sat for a couple f years.

Last year on the Bowsite, some folks started singing their praises as using knives, so I took another look at it. The blade is laminated steel, with tough outer layers over a hard core and edge. Same setup as a Katana, in fact.

SO, I put it in my fanny pack, instead of the old Case sheath knife I carry for luck,and went hunting.

This Helle knife is one great hunting knife. I own or have owned Gerber, Buck, Henckels, Puma, Cold Steel, Case, Camillus, Schrade,etc, but this one is definitely worth having.

Two does were dressed out with it,and I cut all the ribs on non trophy critters all the way up the brisket. The knife needed no touchup whatsoever. Any point on the edge will still shave hair off my forearm, or take a few layers of dermis if I err.It also cleans up very nicely and quickly.

To compare, the Bucklite that's on my belt right now would dress out those two does also, but t'would need a bit of stroking on the steel to bring back the best edge. This didn't.
Old December 27, 2000, 03:23 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sounds like a good knife. Thanks for the info.

Art
Old December 27, 2000, 07:48 PM   #3
jbgood

Sounds like a quality knife. I don't recall seeing the Helle brand in local shops, though. Do you know if they have a website that lists dealers? Or, do you know of other ways to take a look at them?

-- jbgood
Old December 28, 2000, 06:34 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's a link on the Bowsite that's a dealer for them,JB, try there.

You're welcome,Art.
Old January 3, 2001, 12:24 AM   #5
Flashman

Helle Knives web address

Helle Knives web address is http://www.bowsite.com/helle/
I have seen Bob's knives and they are beautiful. At lunch today I handled a Fjellkniven (sp?) with a birch handle and leather sheath. Check out his pack goats too on his website.
Old January 3, 2001, 07:33 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for posting that, Flashman, I'm a techno dunce and couldn't....