The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 6, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Irishman

Adjusting POA

Not quite ready for this yet as I'm just getting set on a consistant powder charge but will need to know soon.

With 19 grains of 777 my 51 navy is shooting about 4 inches above poa. A little more at longer distances I think (need to shoot more from longer ranges to make sure)

I have read on here that the remingtons poa can be adjusted by filing the front sight as they tend to shoot low. Does it stand to reason then that on my colt that shoots high that I could file down the rear sight slightly? Bear in mind that I don't intend to do this until I am 100% sure I'm right about where it is consistantly hitting but am I right in theory about how this could be done?
Old April 6, 2009, 11:31 AM   #2
sundance44s

It seems the remingtons come out of the box shooting low ..which is the easy to fix to POA ...just file a little off the top of the front sight and bring POA up ....
with the Colts they seem to always come out of the box right on or shooting too high .......easyest fix would be a taller front sight ...the rear sight being in the top of the hammer could be filed down to adjust ..my self I like haveing a taller front sight dovetailed in so I can also adjust windage with the front ........I normally get a Colt that shoots 4 inches high and about 2 inches left .
The Uberti made 1858 Remington is the easyest by far to adjust the POA ..they come from the factory with a tall front sight that is dovetailed in ...so all that is needed to get POA is a file and a drift punch .
The cost a little more for the Uberti Remington but if your picky about POA ...well worth the extra bucks .
Old April 7, 2009, 08:01 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Do you plan on continue using triple 7? I know real black powder is hard to find in some locations. Have you tried Pyrodex P pistil powder?

You may get better grouping with Pyrodex, it is not as critical to load as triple 7. The triple 7 does not like to be compressed and inconsistent seating pressure can be a problem with using the loading lever on the gun. That can give you inconsistent groups or fliers.

I have started using a loading stand with an adjustable bullet seating feature. That gives me very consistent seating pressure and it definitely helped tighten up the groups.

Using Pyrodex for loading in gun, you may see an improvement in consistency.

Just some things to think about before you start filing on your sights, while it's easy to remove material it's difficult to put it back on.
Old April 7, 2009, 08:49 AM   #4
fineredmist

The original Colt sights were regulated at 50 yards and they will shoot high at 25 with the recommended load. I would try adjusting the charge before attempting to cut the rear sight grove as once it's cut it's cut. These revolvers were not intended to be target guns but defensive pistols.
Old April 8, 2009, 09:51 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
These revolvers were not intended to be target guns but defensive pistols.

That is a very good point. I can get carried away attempting to get that perfect group in the bulls eye. I should be satisfied with a well functioning revolvers that fires every time I pull the trigger and hits reasonably close to point of aim.
Old April 8, 2009, 10:01 AM   #6
sundance44s

I finally bought a ROA with adjustable sights last year ....that cap and ball pistol will spoil ya shooting small targets at great distance .
I almost feel guilty leaveing my prized Remingtons at home but ...maybe the new will wear off the Rugers one day ..
Old April 9, 2009, 07:53 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
.maybe the new will wear off the Rugers one day ..
Doubt it.
Old April 9, 2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Hawg

Newer Pietta Remingtons come with tall front sights(dunno bout Uberti). Original Colt and Remingtons both were sighted in at 75 yds. and older repros are the same. New Pietta Colt's are still that way. Dunno why they changed the Remington.