The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 27, 2013, 02:04 PM   #26
Pathfinder45

Some of you must be joking.....

Y'all clean up after yourselves, right? Must be hard to do with expanding foam, TV's and such...... There are a number of places on the Mt Hood National Forest that are frequented by slob shooters that are completely trashed now. I won't shoot in those places because it would make me an accomplice as in guilt by association. They are now closing portions of the Forest to shooting that have been abused in this way. If you abuse YOUR rights, ALL OF US could lose ours. Don't shoot, "targets", that can't be cleaned up. Don't shoot glass bottles, TV's, containers of foam/pollutants, etc. Tin cans and water-filled plastic milk jugs are easy to pick up after and don't leave environmental contamination. When you are done, leave the place cleaner than you found it. I'm not asking you. I'm telling you.
Old August 29, 2013, 04:07 PM   #27
skoal3

+1 to what Pathfinder45 said and thank you. I like to shoot things that dance around, explode and make a mess just as much as everyone else but it is very important to clean it all up when your done. I clean up on my own private property every time because I don't like to see the mess, no one else does either. I work out in the woods and all these gates I have to open every morning are a pain in the ***. They probably wouldn't be there if the land didn't get abused so often. I'm sure no one on this forum goes out and leaves messes for others to clean up but it was a very good point to make.
Old August 29, 2013, 06:59 PM   #28
MaDMaXX

I don't shoot over that side of town, but i've seen examples and can imagine how bad it got!!

That's just wrong, i hope people try harder to enjoy this sport and also that companies will realise the call for re-usable/reactive targets and release more and more affordable solutions.
Old August 29, 2013, 08:28 PM   #29
Kitgun

Charcoal briquetes, cheap and when hit they go puff in a little black cloud.
Old August 29, 2013, 08:30 PM   #30
MaDMaXX

Oh nice!!! Never thought of that, i'll have to try it
Old August 29, 2013, 08:30 PM   #31
Grizz12

Quote:
Charcoal briquetes, cheap and when hit they go puff in a little black cloud.
Ohh, I forgot about those, they are fun
Old August 30, 2013, 07:07 AM   #32
Chestnut Forge

We shoot golf balls with .22 pistols. Alot of fun to have a race with them. See who can get them down range first. Tomac has the bowling pin thing right. I've hit them with .338 and .300 Win Mags. Makes them fly around a bit. Marshmallows are another good target.
Old August 30, 2013, 09:35 PM   #33
BigOne

Tannite

Mixing tannite and using white glue on the back of clay target, or anything really, adds a nice touch.
Old August 30, 2013, 09:50 PM   #34
Revan

Nothing legal is better than tannerite!
Old August 30, 2013, 10:26 PM   #35
trg42wraglefragle

I've got some 1/4" steel plates in various sizes I shoot with 22 and my shotgun.
It's obvious when you hit them and they are instantly reset.

Other than that empty aluminium cans filled with water make a good explosion and can generally be found for free.
Old August 30, 2013, 10:27 PM   #36
4runnerman

I was in same shoes here not more than a month ago. I think someone i here hd the idea. Make a stand like the letter H ,pound in ground and hang paint balls. Man is that fun, they explode big time.
Old August 30, 2013, 11:54 PM   #37
9mmfan

Another vote for tannerite. Not as cheap as some of these suggestions, but much more reactive. Particularly if'n you cut a hole in a pumpkin and set the canister inside. Orange goo a-flyin'. A little bit redneck and a whole lotta fun.
Old September 1, 2013, 11:59 AM   #38
arizona98tj

You are welcome to browse my reactive target review.

Old September 7, 2013, 11:31 PM   #39
SHE3PDOG

A few of my buddies decided they wanted to come shooting with me last weekend, but they wanted something fun to shoot at. We ended up going to one of the Halloween stores that have been popping up lately, and looked around. They bought 3 plastic skeletons. We used some tall scrap wood to stake into the ground and hold up the skeletons. They swung a lot when they were hit, and stood up to a pretty good beating from 8mm Mauser, 30-06, 40 S&W, 357 Mag, 5.56, and 22LR. The price was only like 15 bucks each too.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old September 8, 2013, 06:23 AM   #40
dayman

It requires some clean-up, but cans of beer/soda are pretty fun to shoot.

They "react" a little more than clays, and can usually be had for around $0.50ea. Even less if you can find a place that sells expired beer.

edit:
Quote:
I quite fancy one of those duelling tree's i've seen on Hickok45's channel, though it looks to be about $350 for a 'normal' one from Salute Products
For anything made from steel, try to find a local welder. They'll probably be able to make it cheaper, and you'll make a new friend. Not having to ship a 80lb package cuts a lot from the final cost.

Last edited by dayman; September 8, 2013 at 06:40 AM.