The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 2, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
chiefr

SKS Light firing pin strikes

Took my old Chinese SKS to the range today. First 20 rounds fired flawlessly. Suddenly, all subsequent rounds FTF. I noticed light firing pin strikes on those round that FTF. Ammo is not the problem and the gun is thoroughly clean. Thought, I would ask fellow TFL folks if they ever had this problem and what might be the cause. Later this afternoon, I will take the gun apart.

FTF; Fail to Fire.
Old March 2, 2012, 01:09 PM   #2
tater134

I would take the firing pin out of the bolt and make sure the channel its rides in is free of debris. Its possible that something got lodged in there and is causing the pin to get hung up.
Old March 2, 2012, 07:43 PM   #3
chiefr

The firing pin retaining pin was difficult to remove. I bent my brass punch in the process of removing it. I also had to punch the firing pin itself out. What I found was galling on the firing pin where it contacts the firing pin retainer. Looks like I need to replace both these parts. Bolt and extractor are OK.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4
1Hobie

If you're going to replace it

Try this: http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

I have replaced my SKS's firing pin with this and it works as advertised. Makes the gun a heck of a lot safer to shoot.

Hobie
Old March 3, 2012, 03:12 PM   #5
chiefr

Thanks 1Hobie
My SKS is of the older type with the free floating firing pin -- no spring. The firing pin was actually frozen in place at the point where just enough was protruding to barely strike the primer. I could only image what it would have been like if it stuck further out. I had to beat it out. I will call that guy in Bowie Tx and see what he can do for me. Vr chiefr
Old March 3, 2012, 07:02 PM   #6
1Hobie

When I ordered mine, he called me to verify the order. Seems like a person I'd like to meet in person.
He speaks of the early AK's and the(I think)SKS variants having a spring on the firing pin and doesn't know why the builders discontinued it later on.
I like it because now I can safely shoot civilian primers with the gun.
Regards,

Hobie