The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 22, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
American Eagle

Honest assessment of the Pietta 1858 .44 cal

I received my Pietta 1858 from Cabelas today, and had an opportunity to take it to the range. This first post will be my assessment of the revolver. I will post pictures in about an hour when I have the time to upload them here (because as a well known informal rule states : If no pictures, it never happened )

The Good:

Quality: The revolver is very well made, has a great trigger pull and everything operates smoothly. I was very skeptical at fist due to the low price, but Pietta did not skimp on quality with the Remington 1858. The bluing is very nice on this revolver.

Authenticity: The all steel 1858 looks almost exactly like the original Remington 1858. It does have slightly bigger grips (good for my fat 21st century hands,) but other than that, I have no doubt that if a civil war soldier saw it, he would think it was an original Remington 1858 until he picks it up and notices the slightly larger grips and the markings on the side that say "Pietta made in Italy" and the black powder only warning on the side of the barrel.

Accuracy and Ease of Use: Wow, this thing is super accurate for being a copy of an 1858 revolver, and for someone with little black powder experience, the thing is easy to take apart and clean. Pietta hit a home run with this beauty

The Bad

Fit and finish: I am being very picky here because I need to find something negative to say about this revolver, and there is really very little to say. It did have a very tiny mark on the barrel which can only be seen up close and in the right lighting condition, and unless you know what to look for...it is very hard to find. This is really normal, as I have never seen any firearm or weapon come out of the box 100% perfect with no tiny mark whatsoever. Other than that, the wood fit in the grip does have the tiniest of gaps in one area, but then again, only an issue if you are being overly picky and trying to be a 100% perfectionist.

Cosmoline: Had a thick coating of cosmoline that had to be removed prior to the range, so if you get one, plan on 20 minutes of cleaning and oiling prior to hitting the range.

Conclusion:
If you don't have one, get one before Cabelas raises the price on it. Hard to beat the quality for under $200 USD.

Pictures of the revolver after the range session (after I cleaned it) to follow in an hour
Old August 22, 2011, 09:37 PM   #2
bigminnow

Is this a brass or steel frame...Just curious. I have two 1851 Army Piettas and I'm thinking about another one. I think Cabela's has it for $139...
Old August 22, 2011, 09:59 PM   #3
American Eagle

Bigminnow, it is the all-steel version. I wanted to go for as close to historical accuracy as possible.

Here she is after cleaning the black powder from the range session. The finish is perfect, but she looks a little smudged here due to the cleaning products. I whipped her down with a towel tonight to take the smudges out and she looks perfect. The cigars were for later (black powder and cigars do not mix.)

I used Crisco instead of wonder wads, messy but cheap and efficient

And here she is with my favorite smokeless powder plinker

And finally, here she is with my regular CCW

Last edited by American Eagle; August 22, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:04 AM   #4
kadima

The last picture is funny:

An American designed weapon made in Italy

and

An Italian designed weapon made in USA....
Old August 23, 2011, 09:08 AM   #5
bedbugbilly

kadima - sort of gives new meaning to "What goes around, comes around."

Nice looking Remmie and glad the OP likes it. Good luck with it and enjoy! Personally, I have the Pietta Remmie .36 "Navy" and the same '58 NMA you have only in Stainless. Love 'em both! Have fun and shoot safe!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 23, 2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Billy Shears

Quote:
The last picture is funny:

An American designed weapon made in Italy

and

An Italian designed weapon made in USA....

Methinks those are both Italian made weapons in that picture.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a Beretta 84, not a 92.

Last edited by Billy Shears; August 23, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old August 23, 2011, 10:16 AM   #7
kadima

ISTR that 84s for the USA market are made there. But I can be completely wrong as it almost always happens...

K.
Old August 23, 2011, 11:13 AM   #8
American Eagle

That is a Beretta 85FS, and mine says MADE IN ITALY on the slide....so they are both two Italian beauties.
Old August 23, 2011, 04:07 PM   #9
ZVP

Bedbugbilly,
Is the Stainless heavier than the blued Steel version?
I have both a full sized and a 5 1/2" version. Boy the shorter barrel sure handles NICE! Power, muzzleflash, and bullet impacts seem the same from both versions.
I have a Stainless Vauqero and I swear it's heavier than my buddies Blued model!
I really want a Stainless '58 NMA just because they'd shine up like a a nickled model! I have seen a couple pictures of old Nickle plated Remmies and they are literally beautifull! A 5 1/2" Stainless would be ideal!
How is the clean-up?
Does the BP residue come off any easier?
ZVP
Old August 23, 2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

I had....

....a fairly similar reaction.

Bought the 1860 at 189.00 minus $20.00 plus shipping.

Very well put together with the exception of a very minor misalignment noticable if I drag my fingernail across the junction of the lug and the frame. Not really noticable to the eye, more to the touch.

Mighty glad I got in on this deal.

Prolly shoot it Sunday.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Joe the Redneck

Is that red hawk on the Ruger original?
Old August 23, 2011, 09:32 PM   #12
American Eagle

The red hawk grips are original....though I should be replacing them soon for wood grips. I prefer wood grips.
Old August 23, 2011, 11:13 PM   #13
Hawg

Now you need one of these.

Old August 27, 2011, 06:46 PM   #14
Shotput79

1858 NMAs

Got to love um!!! Got my third 58 with the $20.00 0ff coupon. Nice shooters. Hard to beat. Hope you have a lot of fun with it. I don't see how Cabela's can do it. None of the others will bring there prices down and Cabela's just keeps geting better and better. Not a thing wrong with any of the six revolver's I've bought from them over the last few years.
Old August 30, 2011, 10:11 AM   #15
KBM1

Excellent review of the 1858. Thanks!
Old September 2, 2011, 12:15 AM   #16
bigminnow

I just ordered one of these and it should arrive tomorrow...can't wait. I might even order another one since it's $189 and Cabela's has $20 off on orders over a certain amount...I think its $150 or something in that area...
Old September 2, 2011, 01:18 AM   #17
Jim March

Question...with the gun unloaded, have any of you checked out the between-cylinder-bore safety notches? This is where NAA got the idea for theirs. The 1858 is supposed to be safe carried six-up, hammer lowered between two chambers. Assuming a decent holster and probably a snap-strap to keep the hammer down and not moving, does this seem like a safe carry option on these critters?
Old September 2, 2011, 01:19 AM   #18
Jim March

Meant to add: this is more evidence that Pietta is making a very respectable gun these days. The EMF Great Western IIs are getting rave reviews, and Cimarron has started to do business with Pietta of late.
Old September 2, 2011, 01:49 AM   #19
radom

From what I have seen Pietta is making nice guns now. The fit and finish on the 250 buck .44 belt pistol I got a bit ago is just as good as the 700 buck Uberti I have. 6 months and still no cylinder ring.
Old September 2, 2011, 02:10 AM   #20
Jim March

Lemme ask another question...

On the Cabella's site I note that you can get these in .36cal, and extra cylinders are just amazingly cheap. You could do "Clint Eastwood reloads" and get a rate of fire exceeding an SAA-pattern and damned close to something like a GP100 with speedloaders(!).

Specifically with regards the .36cal...yeah, I know, it's a "black powder gun". Right. But...damn, those cylinder walls have got to be just massive, right? And there's no reason they'd have used really bad steel, is there?

And it's not an open-top...

So...assuming you used a slow-burn smokeless powder like, say, H110 or Lil'gun...could you get some serious performance going here? Like...I dunno, paper-patch a 148gr double-ended wadcutter, drive it up around 1,000fps? Or more?

Yeah, I know, it's not "what the book says". And it sure ain't period correct! But...what's the real performance potential here?

Or am I just completely twisted for even asking?
Old September 2, 2011, 04:03 AM   #21
Hawg

Quote:
.what's the real performance potential here?
Whole top half of chamber blown off, top strap gone, hammer sheared. Saw a pic of one once.
Old September 2, 2011, 06:40 AM   #22
zullo74

Jim,

That's dangerous talk. Put it out of your mind.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg blown_remmie.jpg (63.8 KB, 893 views)

Last edited by zullo74; September 2, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old September 2, 2011, 07:28 AM   #23
mykeal

Quote:
am I just completely twisted for even asking?
Yes.
Old September 2, 2011, 05:42 PM   #24
Hardy

I think when I see a banana peeled barrel on a C/B pistol. Not on this thread but saw safety remark which made me think. I think the shooter had a ball lodged inside the cone before he fired second shot. I think when a cap pops and charge doesn't fire-sometimes it was just enough pressure to put the ball inside the barrel and being careless you might rotate another chamber to it. Isn't that something shooters should consider out on the range? So---Fanning don't sound safe. Unles you are Clint Eastwood.