The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Which model will suit me best? (See original post for specifics)
S&W Model 627 (Performance Center, 5-inch) 19 86.36%
S&W Model 686 (6-inch) 2 9.09%
S&W Model 686P (6-inch) 1 4.55%
S&W Model 686P TALO (7-inch) 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 14, 2011, 10:59 PM   #1
El Matadurr

S&W 627 Opinions

Hello once again all, it's been awhile since my last post. I'm back with another opinion forum. In the very near future I will have the opportunity to purchase my first handgun. I'm not yet concerned with concealed carry, it will be primarily for home defense, range/action shooting, and some hunting. Before you all go off on tangents suggesting different calibers and brands, know this: I am dead set on the .357 magnum caliber (one of the cheapest magnum rounds/great ballistics) and on a S&W revolver (more reliable than a semi-auto, easy to save casings after firing, and I love the looks of a S&W).

Although money is definitely an object to me, buying things of quality has always been a pet peeve of mine: the higher quality of materials and craftsmanship, the longer something will last--generally speaking. With that said, the S&W Model 627, seen at this link: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y just seems to shout out quality and performance to me. Although at a pricey $1000+ at stores, the five inch barrel strikes a nice balance with sight radius/powder expansion/weight, while the 8 shots gives me plenty of firepower to deal with various situations, especially when it is equal compared to a standard capacity 1911 (7+1 of course). Considering the way I really take care of all the things I buy--mainly keeping them clean and in like-new shape--in my mind this high-end wheel-gun will serve me well.

With all that out of the way, I ask you, will I be doing the right thing by getting this gun? Or will I be better off buying a S&W 6 shot 686 (I've shot this one many a time, great gun as well) or 7 shot 686P, both of which are significantly less in a price standpoint, but aren't made by hand and have a couple less shots? Again, please don't suggest other gun brands, I know that Ruger makes great revolvers as well, and Taurus has a few, but like I said I'm dead set on S&W. See poll, thanks for any and all opinions!
Old August 15, 2011, 12:09 AM   #2
shooting4life

I would go with the 627, I have two a 627-0 and 627pc. I am working on getting a 627pc 5 inch.
Old August 15, 2011, 12:30 AM   #3
BarryLee

Sounds like the 627 is what you want, so shop around for a good price and "pull the trigger".
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 15, 2011, 03:47 AM   #4
Hook686

I have had a S&W 686 in 4" barrel and 6" barrel. The 4" 686 is a very nice revolver. I sometimes carried it and it makes a fine house gun. The 6" 686 was a little more accurate (same accuracy just at maybe 25 yards further) than the 4" 686. I never carried the 6" version, even in the foothills of California.

I bought the S&W 627PC with 5" barrel. I now no longer have a 686 revolver. I shoot it better and more accurately than either the 4", or 6" barreled 686 models. I even use the 627PC in my club three gun matches. The eight round moon clips (Heavy Duty version) are really a winner in my book.

If I had to get rid of all my handguns except one, the S&W 627PC would be it.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old August 16, 2011, 04:37 PM   #5
El Matadurr

it's more and more sounding like a fine gun. I can't wait to shoot one and try it out.
Old August 16, 2011, 05:02 PM   #6
PA Reb

The S&W model 27, in all its various forms, is one of S&W's masterpieces. Although I've never handled or fired a 27 like you speak of, I have owned many standard 27s over the years and I'm sure you will be very pleased with this one. Here's a picture of a model 27-3 that I own and love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1795.jpg (232.5 KB, 58 views)
Old August 16, 2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Vividia

I have the 5" performance center 627. It is my favorite in my collection.

When I bought it, it was my first gun, and my criteria (in no particular order) were:

.357 magnum - check
Good for home defense - check (8 shots is plenty, and if you were a bad guy would YOU want to be looking at the wrong end of an 8 shot cylinder? It's just badass)
Excellent trigger - check
Excellent target gun - check
Well balanced - check
Well made - check
Fun to shoot - check

When I take it to the range, I do get looks, most of them wistful. I have the opportunity to shoot my buddy's 686, and i like it a lot, but there is nothing like that 627PC.

I don't hunt, but the .357 is a useful hunting round with the proper bullet shape, weight and loading. My longest shots so far are breaking clays on a 100 yard berm. That would do it, I should think.

As has been said - it's a true S&W masterpiece.
Old August 16, 2011, 05:47 PM   #8
overkill0084

It's really hard to argue against the 627 PC. I've pretty much relegated my other .357s to occasional use since I bought mine. Aside from the initial sticker shock, there is no down side.
To be fair, either 686 option would likely be a good choice as well.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old August 16, 2011, 06:14 PM   #9
El Matadurr

what sticker shock are you referring to?
Old August 16, 2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Dennis1209

I like my S&W 686 plus, .357, w/the 6" barrel, but can't find an ankle holster for it to use as a BUG

DSCN0036.jpg
Old August 16, 2011, 08:51 PM   #11
overkill0084

Quote:
what sticker shock are you referring to?
Well, to me anyway, they are tad pricey.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old August 17, 2011, 01:25 AM   #12
Hook686

Yup the 686 cost me $600, the 627PC cost me $900. Sticker shock if $900 is thought to be bigger than expected. Now the Desert Eagle in .357 magnum I consider sticker shock. So I guess it depends upon ones expectations.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:05 AM   #13
Technosavant

If you won't be concealing it (in which case the 686 is a bit large for that), then I'd recommend the 627 ever time. The PC guns are just a joy to shoot, but if S&W is still making the Pro series, you may want to look at that one to save a bit of cash.

The 686 is a nice gun, but the bigger gun is just that much easier to handle (for me, anyway).

It's hard to make a bad choice here, so don't worry about regretting it. I think you'd be pleased with your purchase whether it's a 627 or 686.
Old August 17, 2011, 10:13 AM   #14
trublu

I love my S&W 627 - 8 rounds of 357 is an awesome amount of firepower. Excellent range and home defense gun. Not the best carry gun though. Whatever you pay for it - it is worth it
Old August 17, 2011, 10:38 AM   #15
El Matadurr

haha oh THAT kind of sticker shock. yeah, like I said, whatever I buy will be a lot of money to me regardless, so I'm just wanting to make sure what I get is great! and also, I have been looking at the Pro series, and it seems they only carry the 8 shot variant in a 4 inch barrel? YOWSA that recoil and muzzle flash would suck!

Tags
.357 magnum , 627 , performance center , revolver , s&w