The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 9, 2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Irod

M41 polish chamber..

how can I polish the chamber of my S&W M41?

My M41 have problems to extract. I have tried diferent extractors and ammo, but the only way to make it extract the expent brass is oiling the cartridges.

Maybe if I polish the chamber? It left marks in the brass and a little bulge near the rim.

Any idea?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg casquillos m41.JPG (53.3 KB, 25 views)
Old April 9, 2009, 07:02 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have used a split dowel (will have to be 1/8 inch) and 600 grit emery paper.

But it looks like someone may have already been at work on that chamber and if a front part is bigger than the back, it will be tough getting it to work right.

Do you know what may have happened or did you buy the gun used?

I think if I were you, I would try calling S&W and see what they say. At worst they will quote too high a price and you can try working on it yourself, at best they will repair it at a reasonable price.

Jim

P.S. In a blowback pistol, the extractor does not pull the case out of the chamber, the case is pushed out of the chamber by gas pressure, which is why they call it a "blow back" action.

Jim
Old April 9, 2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Irod

Thanks

I buy the pistol used. Since I live out of US, I cant send anything to S&W. I´m going to a machine shop to measure the chamber.

I´m inclided to files and I will try to polish the chamber, any futher sugestion? I need move the dowell forward-rearward or can I use a Dremel a low velocitys?

Why do you think that the chamber can be posible wider ien the front than in the back? Can you share with mi the chamber dimencions.

Mr. Keenan, we interchange posts in this forum about this pistol a few years ago. But we center in the extractor. A totally agree with your words about the mass inertia principle.
Old April 10, 2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Irod

Mmmm..

I have discover that is made in 1959, serial number 21XXX.. Its in grat shape.

I will polis the chamber tomorrow.