The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 12:36 AM   #1
The_Meteorologist

M&P 9c Replacing Ruger SR9c

Hello to fellow members, this is my first post here.

I recently sold my 2 month old Ruger SR9c. I had fired about 800 rounds through it, but I never felt comfortable shooting it. It was mostly the non adjustable grip...as the trigger had a glock style safe action trigger which protruded just far enough that I did not feel comfortable with the placement of my trigger finger. I was also not fond of the mag disconnect feature and the large loaded chamber indicator. I was able to sell it for nearly the price I bought it for, and I ended up with a M&P 9c without manual thumb safety. Right now I have not shot it yet, but I did my research more extensively this time, and I feel it had the right match of overall weight, mag sizes, adjustable backstraps, length, and price. I considered the Glock Gen4, but those cost about 100 dollars more, and I didn't like the size of the two offerings (Glock 19 and 26) compared to the 9c which fits right in between the two. Thus far, everything feels great except the gritty trigger...which after reading extensively, supposedly goes away with range time.

I will have a range review soon.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:22 AM   #2
warningshot

Comparing the SR9C trigger to the M&P9c trigger...Good Luck. I hope the Smith has more going for it for you than just the trigger.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:40 AM   #3
MLeake

I prefer the ergos of the M&P series over those of the SR series, myself.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:26 AM   #4
Sixer

Welcome to TFL

I think you made a great choice! I've owned both, still own the MP9c Both are great guns. What I couldn't get used to on the Ruger SR9c was the fact that there is essentially no slide release. There is a slide "lock" but you still have to use your weak hand to drop the slide on a new mag. It makes no sense!

Also, as MLeake said... the ergos are much better on the M&P. All the fuss about the M&P trigger is overrated. It's not that bad... and it's an easy fix. I'm not a fan of external safeties either, so that's a plus on the M&P9c.

Again, both are great guns. IMHO the M&P9c is a step up from the
Ruger SR9c.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Tags
compact , m&p 9c , smith and wesson