The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 6, 2016, 12:03 AM   #1
Glockgreat23

Any recommendations for cleaning problem?

I am cleaning a new pistol barrel with the 200 rounds I put through it last weekend. I simply cannot get a clean patch after brushing. I've used hoppes 9, slipp Carbon killer, and Kroil. I've put on new brushes thinking it was the brush itsel. So I brush, clean with hoppes, then let it sit 20 min. I run a few patches through until they come out clean, then brush again, and the next patch come out very dark, not just light traces. Any ideas how to get this thing clean once and for all?
Old August 6, 2016, 02:18 AM   #2
Snyper

Quote:
I run a few patches through until they come out clean, then brush again, and the next patch come out very dark, not just light traces. Any ideas how to get this thing clean once and for all?
Don't overthink it.
Stop at the first clean patches
Old August 6, 2016, 02:40 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Rimfire or centerfire?
Old August 6, 2016, 09:52 AM   #4
Glockgreat23

It's a 9mm. And yes, I know it's clean enough, just bugs me that crap keeps coming out of it. Last night I ran a brush full of blue wonder down the bore, let it sit half an hour, then ran hoppes till it came out clean. Might be as clean as it can get
Old August 6, 2016, 06:25 PM   #5
Snyper

Quote:
And yes, I know it's clean enough, just bugs me that crap keeps coming out of it.
Unless you cleaned your brushes well, you're just transferring the "dirt" from the brush back to the barrel, then to the patches.
Old August 7, 2016, 01:24 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Stop up the muzzle, fill the barrel with solvent and leave it for a half hour or more. Gives the solvent time to work.
However, like Snyper says, don't overthink it. It's not a dinner plate.
Old August 7, 2016, 02:30 PM   #7
FITASC

You can also chuck an old rod in the cordless drill with a brush on it and run it back and forth through the barrel several times. That can really loosen any stubborn buildup and make cleaning a little bit easier.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa