The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1
white1

preparing for first elk hunt

Hello, fng here.
Been doing a lot of research for a hopeful upcoming elk hunt on bullet selection.
I believe I've decided to bring my .30-06 along for the trip, just don't think my wonderfully round shape I'm in can pack my sendero in 7mag at 12,000+ elevation.
Like I stated, I've been doing a good bit of reading everywhere I can on what bullet to use. I load 150grn barnes tsx for whitetail in -06, as well as 165grn sierra game king, and load 168 tsx in .308 for whitetail.
From what I have read, I see the nosler partition as a popular elk choice.
Id prefer to sick with 165-168 so I can stay dual purpose. But also have some 180grn silvertip, and not affraid to go 180 if I need to, but would prefer to stay with the lighter bullet as I'll be going on my elk hunt in the middle of deer season, and would rather not have to try and sight my rifle in several times during hunting season.
So, assuming I plan to buy a box of bullets, what would the recommended load for elk be. Preferably using either varget, or 4064 powder in .30-06.

Thanks
Old December 15, 2014, 01:11 PM   #2
GeauxTide

Quote:
So, assuming I plan to buy a box of bullets, what would the recommended load for elk be. Preferably using either varget, or 4064 powder in .30-06.
So, is it factory or reload? Factory would be 165 Partitions. I would use slower powder than two mentioned for 165s, like 4350.
Old December 15, 2014, 01:32 PM   #3
TimSr

The Nosler Partition is a proven performer as is the Speer Grand Slam. I've not used others on big game. Agree with Geauxtide on the 4350 powder.
Old December 15, 2014, 01:38 PM   #4
white1

I'm going to handload.
I'll see about getting some 4350.
Old December 15, 2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Paul B.

Well, first are you going for a bull or cow? The 30-06 is just fine and the bullets I would look at would be the Nosler Accubond, Partition and possibly the Speer Grand Slam. I say possibly because the current version is no longer a two core bullet but a slightly reinforced cup and core. I'm currently working up loads for the 165 gr. Accubond and Partition for my 06 and so are the Partition seems to be the one the rifle prefers although either one is more than accurate enough. I'm only going for cow elk. For a bull though while the 165 would be more than enough, I'd prefer a 180 gr. bullet but my 30-06 has a 1 in 12" twist barrel and does not shoot 180 gr. spritzers well. Where I hunt shots have come at 150, 180 and 350 yards and my .35 Whelen has not had a problem taking elk with one shot at those ranges. Velocity with the 225 gr. Barnes TSX is 2710 FPS, a reasonable speed in the 06 with 180 gr. bullets so hitting to at least that far should not be a problem. Shoot whichever one your rifle like best.
Paul B.
Old December 15, 2014, 02:17 PM   #6
white1

I haven't yet applied for my tag. So I'm not sure, but I'm hoping I can draw a bull tag.
I could bring my .35 whelen, but it's single shot, and I feel more comfortable with my -06.
I was hoping to be able to shoot something I could use for whitetail also, but if 180 grn would be that much better, I'll go with that
Old December 15, 2014, 02:30 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Out of a .30-06, 165's, of any kind, are your friend. You really don't need a premium bullet though. A game king will do nicely. I'd use IMR4064.
There's a guy on another forum who had an epic bullet failure with a Barnes. His son hit a deer in the neck with a .260 or .280 and the bullet didn't expand at all. Took him 3 hours of tracking to find it.
Old December 15, 2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Clark

I hunt with a guy who has dedicated his life to getting a bull elk, but has not got one.
Two years ago he drew a bull tag an was where the hunters surrounded a herd. My friend shot a bull elk with his 300WinMag Weatherby and partition bullet. The wounded bull ran over the hill and was killed by a young man with a 22-250.
This year my brother, that I also hunt with, was deer or elk hunting and shot a coyote with his 30-06 with partition bullet. The coyote went into a break dance of biting at the bullet hole and then ran away.
I argue with these guys all the time about terminal ballistics. It is just like on the internet. Too little data and too much opinion about bullets.
My opinion is to ignore small differences in 100 yard groups.
Pay attention to, and practice at long range. Know how far your range is under different conditions. Shooting from a fence post in the wind at a running deer is different than prone at a paper target on a windless morning.
My opinion is to avoid Barnes triple shock and Berger VLD hunting, as well as partitions. I like a fast opening bullet with a thick base 1) Nosler ballistic tips or 2) Hornady SST.
My opinion is to aim for the lungs. I want to see a small hole going in an a big hole going out. I want the lungs turned into liquid.
My opinion is that no amount of arguing will change my hunting buddies' minds, but I never stop trying.

I know a guy who this year the guy he was hunting with in 2014 took a huge elk bull with a 139 gr SST from a 7mmRM, and it was bang flop... so there!
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 15, 2014, 03:25 PM   #9
AllenJ

I don't see any problem using your rifle with the 168 or 150 grain TSX's, as long as you keep in mind those bullets like speed so know how fast your rifle is shooting them and only shoot at distances accordingly. I've been shooting Barnes bullets since before TSX's and TTSX's were on the market and they have never let me down. Good expansion (longest elk shot was about 400 yards, 300 Win Mag) and the terminal damage was outstanding when I was cleaning them. I'm not saying that Partitions are not a good choice, I've shot elk with them and they did a great job too, but since you don't want to have to chase a new load for your upcoming hunt you really don't need to in my opinion.
Old December 15, 2014, 04:05 PM   #10
TimSr

If a guy shot a coyote with an 06, and the coyote ran off, it wasn't because the bullet failed to perform.
Old December 15, 2014, 04:34 PM   #11
Jimro

Use any standard cup and core 180gr spitzer soft point. Speer, Remington, Winchester, Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, they all work. I like Hornady Interlocks, but I've had good accuracy from Remington Corelokt bullets.

The 30-06 with a standard 180gr bullet has probably been the most successful elk combination since the first Doughboys started demanding bolt action 30-06's like they shot in France.

Buy 200 or 300 of the same brand. Develop a good load that shoots inside 1.5 inches from your hunting rifle. Then practice practice practice your field shooting positions. If you can consistently hit a paper plate at 200 yards from a field shooting position, you are heads and tails above most shooters going to the field.

Good luck on your hunt.

Jimro
Old December 16, 2014, 01:05 PM   #12
SonOfGun

I am curious, when and where are you elk hunting? Around Northern Utah the snow is stacking up and I would think access would be prohibited above 12,000 ft.
Old December 16, 2014, 02:20 PM   #13
white1

I'm an early planner. Planning a trip in Colorado next thanksgiving. Somewhere in the leadville area.
Old December 16, 2014, 03:15 PM   #14
MarkCO

12K for 4th season...probably not.

I've hunted Colorado for elk for 35 years with close to 50 elk shot and never shot one above 10K. Going this weekend again.

Anyway, to your question. The Silvertip is one of the few old designs that still works well and I have killed a lot of elk with 180 grain STs from the .30-06 over the years. The Accubond and TSX are going to cost a bit more and will likely have similar on target performance with a tad better flight characteristics. I'd prefer 180s for both deer and elk over the 165/168s, but you should be fine with those as well. If you limit your range by keeping impact velocity up at 2100 fps or more, you will be fine.

I switched to a .338-06 about 10 years ago and used Partitions for a while. The exposed lead tip is the only thing that keeps me from using them. They perform well, but a mangled tip screws up the accuracy and velocity.
Old December 17, 2014, 11:04 AM   #15
white1

I may be mistaken as to altitude. I was working in climax a few years ago, and a guy I made friends with from leadville offered an open invitation for an elk hunt. I'm planning to take him up on it next year. I was just referencing the altitude in leadville, and know I don't want to pack my heavy rifle at those altitudes. I don't like packing it at -3' altitude either.
I really have no issue spending a few dollars, and the time to work up a load, but if 165grn will be good, I'd prefer that so I can use it for whitetail also, though I don't know if it'd hurt to use 180 on whitetail, just in my little mind, it seems a bit much.
I appreciate all the advice, and welcome the opinions.
Old December 18, 2014, 06:53 AM   #16
Randyralph

Speer GS 180 gr.

Good day all, I just wanted to get my 2cents in on this topic.
I've been hunting big game for about 30 years now, and have taken some really large moose in that time frame, the last one was 26 points, and dressed at 165 pounds per quarter. The only bullet I have ever used is the Speer GS 190 gr. This bullet along with IMR 4350 has never let me down, and perform great out of my 30-06 A-bolt. Have fun with your hunt.
Old December 18, 2014, 02:26 PM   #17
jmr40

The Partition is a proven winner. The newer Accubond is proving to be every bit as effective on game and it's more aerodynamic shape helps keep velocity up at longer ranges. This results in a bit flatter trajectory and more bullet speed at impact. You don't have to shoot long ranges to see the difference. At as little as 200 yards it starts making a difference.

That is the bullet I'd choose. But to be honest most any 165/168 or 180 gr bullet will work. As would many 150's. In fact one of the Barnes 150's can easily reach 3000 fps or a bit more from a 30-06. It'll out penetrate conventional 180's and shoot as flat as a 270. Since you already use it, you may well already have your elk load.
Old December 18, 2014, 03:32 PM   #18
Jimro

Quote:
That is the bullet I'd choose. But to be honest most any 165/168 or 180 gr bullet will work. As would many 150's. In fact one of the Barnes 150's can easily reach 3000 fps or a bit more from a 30-06. It'll out penetrate conventional 180's and shoot as flat as a 270. Since you already use it, you may well already have your elk load.
I'd love to see the penetration data for that.

Jimro
Old December 18, 2014, 03:33 PM   #19
Paul B.

White1. To be honest with you I've probably used 180 gr. bullets more than anything else in the 30-06. I used to use the 150 gr. Sierra long before they called the Pro-Hunters but stopped because they tore up way too much meat.
I've probably used more Sierra bullets than anything else in the .308 and 30-06 mainly because when I started reloading back in 1954 they were the least expensive that I could find in San Francisco. Speer and Hornady were available but ran a bit higher in price. All my deer hunting in California was for those little dog sized deer called "coastal". The 180 gr. Sierra did a good job without tearing up a lot of meat. A lot of people like the Hornady and I've heard good things about the 180 gr. Hornady spire point. Premium bullets are OK but at most 30-06 velocities I'm not sure they're really necessary. I shot one huge Mule deer at a range of roughly 25 yards tops right through the lungs with a 180 gr. Nosler Partition. (long story behind that deal that I won't go into.) To keep this short and simple The deer was shot three times before it went down with a broken neck. First shot ran a thumb sized groove in the heart muscle. Shot number two was the lung shot, three and four were misses although one did cut an antler. Last shot broke the deer's neck. No shot was over 35 yards as at each hit the deer did a 180. Almost like in a shooting gallery. On autopsy, the lung hit just had a pencil sized hole through both lungs, no sign of expansion at all. The load didn't get chronographed until about 5 years later and the bullets were doing 2700 FPS plus or minus 20 FPS.
The two misses were my fault. After two called well placed hit I was wondering that big bruiser hadn't even shown signs of a hit. No flinch, nothing.
My point is if you decide to go with a 180 gr. bullet, they'll work just fine on even small deer.
Paul B.
Old December 18, 2014, 03:53 PM   #20
huntinaz

The Barnes 168gr TTSX is what I use for elk in my 30-06, very pleased with the results so far. I'm using IMR 4895.