The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Madball6

ABC's of reloading?

Ok, saw the sticky recommending a few books. was going to download to my kindle, but my question is i see 2 books labeled "ABC's of reloading" one by Rodney James, and one by Bill Chevalier. Which one is the recommended reading?
Old April 3, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
overkill0084

Just checked Amazon. The one by Rodney James is the newer edition.
Just my $.02, but I recommend the hard copy version. It will likely serve as a reference and for that sort of use I prefer paper.
Note: I have a kindle and like it.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old April 3, 2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Madball6

Now that you mention it, I appreciate your advice, I don't think i want something i may need to use a reference to be only accessible by my Kindle. Lol we go thru our lives (some of us at least) using technology to make life easier then forget to realise sometimes killing that tree for an easy to reference, hard copy actually IS a better idea.
Old April 4, 2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Kevin Rohrer

I have several editions, and can't recommend the current one (10th?). It's got too much filler from much older editions. The previous one (9th?) is more helpful. I'd also recommend any of the older editions by Dean Grennell.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old April 4, 2011, 09:57 AM   #5
serf 'rett

+1 on the hard copy.
Wood is a renewable resource and pine trees grow fast.
I haven't seen the latest edition, but found the 9th to be helpful in my new found pursuit of reloading.
Old April 4, 2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Don P

I concur the new addition# 10 was a waste of money. If you can as suggested find a previous #'ed addition
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 4, 2011, 11:41 AM   #7
howlnmad

I've got the 8th edition by Chevalier. What's the difference between hard cover or paperback?

oops, my bad. Y'all meant hardcopy as in a book over something stored from the interweb. I'm embarrassed.