The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 13, 2007, 07:57 PM   #1
primemover

Thoughts on Taurus Millennium pro 9mm

I just picked up a slightly used millennium pro 9mm sub compact for concealed carry at a gun show this past weekend. I took it to the range and put about 150 trouble free rounds through it. here's a pic of the one I have..

http://www.impactguns.com/store/taur...enium_pro.html

I have three questions..

1.) does anyone have any experiences with the millennium pro model good or bad that you can share with me?

2.) I really want to put some kind of laser site on it but there is no rail. My friend told me about a laser grip that will work but I can't seem to find one for it on the net. What options do I have for mounting a laser on it?

3.) The gun prints in my pocket so I was wondering if a pocket holster might help that?
Old June 13, 2007, 08:21 PM   #2
spinnb7

blah, had a 111 millenium.
sold it. wouldnt feed right. would fail to eject.
blah.
will probably never own another taurus again...
sold it for a springfield xd.
love the xd
Old June 13, 2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Qwiks draw

Do have a PT111 Mil/pro and have had over 3000 rounds through it and have had nothing but good sevice form it. Shoot mostly standard loads through it and use them also for defense.

WWB, Winchester standard 115 gr. JHPs, SilverBear 115 gr. JHPs, Remington and UMC, as well as Federal Hydra-shoks all work well in mine. Even put a about 300 Speer Gold Dots through the PT111 Mil/pro.

This state does not have CCW , so cannot advise on a pocket holster.

As to the laser, do you know which company makes the one you say you want?
For any of the anwers to any of your questions it might be advantageous to go to www.taurusarmed.net and take a look over there. Members here are members over there as well.

There is a Concealed Carry Board, a Taurus Semi-auto board, and a Gun Smithing board that all have recent or older threads about what you seek.

If not asking will get quick answers to your questions.

I carry the PT111 in a Uncle Mike's rig and have a Gould and Goodrich belt holster that fits a Glock 26 that works fine.
Old June 13, 2007, 09:43 PM   #4
primemover

hey spinb7 was that the pro model?
Old June 13, 2007, 10:06 PM   #5
cen

MIL-Pro

I have a PT140 Mil Pro in .40. Bought new last year, I've got about 400 rounds through it without any problems. It does shoot very low though. I haven't been able to find an aftermarket adjustable sight for it, so I may file down the front site. Can't help with the lazer for you 9mm, but I've seen one in G&A that will fit mine, can't remember the company. I carry inside the waistband in the small of my back and even with a tanktop and shorts on, have never printed, even when friends knew I was carrying. Mine has a stainless slide so it's probably a litter heavier than yours, so IWB carry should solve your printing problem if it's an option with you.
Good luck
Scott
Old June 14, 2007, 07:33 AM   #6
Jkwas

Mine wouldn't feed fire or operate. I could barely get the bullets in the mag withouth the follower coming out and hitting me in the eye. Then, when it did fire, the front site flew off, and the slide blew back off the gun, nearly taking my head off! I gathered up all the parts, and sent them back to taurus. After about 200 phone calls, I finally got someone to tell me it would take about 2-3 years to get my gun back, and they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again. They said it was definately my fault.

Now that I've dispensed with the sarcasm, and summed up every nightmare taurus story you will hear, I can say mine has been perfect for over 2 years and 1000 rnds. I would buy plenty more
Old June 16, 2007, 07:38 AM   #7
Lexter

I had a PT-140. It was a POS. Wouldn't lock open after last round, the slide stop pin sheered off, wouldn't feed reliably,etc.

Taurus' Customer-No-Service was a friggin' nightmare.

I vowed to never, ever own a Taurus again.

I am tempted by their new 1911 but my memory isn't that short!!!!

Get a XD!!!

YRMV.

Lex
Old June 16, 2007, 07:45 AM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
1.) does anyone have any experiences with the millennium pro model good or bad that you can share with me?
I've helped a lot of customers put theirs back together after they'd taken it apart. I've also shipped about a dozen or so back for warranty work.

Quote:
2.) I really want to put some kind of laser site on it but there is no rail. My friend told me about a laser grip that will work but I can't seem to find one for it on the net. What options do I have for mounting a laser on it?
Sorry, but with no rail, you're outta luck in the laser department. I wouldn't expect Crimson Trace or LaserMax to catalog anything for this piece in the future, either. If you just gotta have a beam on your gat, yo, go trade it on a Baby Glock or 3" XD.

Quote:
3.) The gun prints in my pocket so I was wondering if a pocket holster might help that?
Carrying a pistol in your pocket without a pocket holster is courting disaster, whether it prints or no.
Old June 16, 2007, 08:51 AM   #9
hj28rules

My fiance has a PT111 9mm (3rd Gen). It has turned out to be a fine little pistol. Inside of 10-12meters it is quite accurate. Beyond that it shoots low.
Old June 16, 2007, 09:12 AM   #10
jhenry

The only Mil Pro I have any first hand experience with belonged to a friend. It had to be sent back to Taurus within the year. It had cracks in the frame that went all the way around the grip area and the slide locked up. All with a rather moderate amount of plain jane factory ammo. Before it deconsructed itself it was a good weapon but nothing special. Taurus fixed it right up and had it back within a few weeks but he sold it and I don't blame him at all.
Old June 16, 2007, 06:55 PM   #11
Qwiks draw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awards in 2005 as follows: Shooting Industry Manufacturer of the Year award, National Association of Sporting Goods Wholesalers Manufacturer of the Year, and SHOT Business Manufacturer of the Year.
NRA awards were more recent but would have to research to see which two they were.

So Taurus is doing something right. Bashers and trolls ignore that completely.

The latest bash technique is to say that Customer Service is unresponsive or insulting to callers. That may have been true a year ago or more. Those staff at Taurus that did that are all fired and gone.

Since I have contacted Taurus Customer service to ask questions several times this year responses were positive in each case.

Time in getting the gun back however can still be a source of frustration though.

Losing the gun is another favorite basher technique. "They don't know where it is and still don't", goes the cry. Trolls are still kicking that one around every chance they get. That is not true either. They have been tracking where guns go pretty well.

The above is a quote I used in another post in another thread. Taurus recieved 3 awards in 2005 and several more from the NRA and other sources in the last year or so.

So Taurus is doing things right for the most part. Manufacturers have to work hard to get these awards.

Bashers , whiners, and trolls ignore this exclusively. "Conventional Wisdom" to the contrary, Taurus is putting out decent products. "Conventional Wisdom" is not always wise.

This is a quote from your truly from another forum. And what is said still stands. The above is about 3 prestigious awards that Taurus has won as well as several form the NRA since or in 2005.

It does not surprise me that when all avenues are closed for whining and complaining, new ones are tried to be opened up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is a quote from another thread here and at other forums. This was put up for the record that Taurus does make a good product.

While I cannot say that I own a PT1911, there are others who do who like them and have posted here and at other forums. I do own 6 Taurus products and all give excellent service.

This needed to be posted to keep the record straight.
There are satisfied PT1911 owners at www.taurusarmed.net as well as here. Members here are members there. Peruse the archives, old threads, and recent ones for those who want another source.

Not necessarily so. There are Taurus Trackers and Raging Bull that have satified users and there are S&W and other company users who are satisfied. So budget is not always a consideration nor does budget mean poorly made though "conventional wisdom" would suppose.

There are many companies that make middle of the road priced firearms and the users are happy with the. Price is no indicator of quality.

There is a history of this in the firearms industry.
Merwin and Hulbert, Forehand and Wadsworth, Harrington and Richardson,Remington, and a host of other manufacturers made serviceable handguns. These were picked up an used daily and gave decent serviceable use.

True, there were other companies, but those folded for a number of reasons. Bought out by the bigger companies(Colt and others didn't like having competition), models that worked but weren't popular ( public being fickle at times), and some did make poor weapons and those guys went away after a year or two or three.

So present day has seen the old guard replaced by new one, with middle of the road pricing on a host of brands, makes and models.

There is a segment of society that will not give these firearms or their users nothing but disdain.

Figured this may need to be posted to set the record straight on a few things.

The nay-sayers here would have you believe that the shooting industry and NRA as a whole in picking Taurus for their awards, are complete incompetents and idiots of the first order. If Taurus makes trash then these industry folks would have to be idiots and incompetents, wouldn't they?
Then there are those who claim to be dealers, gun store clerks,and distributors ( may be they are what they claim) who claim that all Taurus products passing through there area is trash. This despite evidence to the contrary.
One has to ignore the positive completely to make negative claims as well as overlook the rest of what has been presented.

It is not said that Taurus does not have an some guns slip by QC anywhere in this discourse. It even acknowledges that.

So say what you will. Be careful what is said since history is documented and can be brought to bear when needed.
Old June 16, 2007, 07:21 PM   #12
ooreach

Location: Earth, American Continent, America, Ohio, Summit County, Near Cleveland
Mil Pro is my primary carry

I haven't had any problems. I use Smart Carry for my holster. Always have a holster unless you plan on never having a round in the chamber and even then, you don't want to touch that trigger till you want to. Thats what a holster is for. I have never had a problem with mine, she eats anything in 9mm, except junk, because I won't feed her that.
I'm itchin' to try the new springfield XD but price did win out back then. Unless you get a lemon you should get plenty of use out of it. I've put 4-5k rounds through her and not one FTF or stove pipe but with small sized guns I always keep feed ramp extra shiny and slick.
Old June 16, 2007, 10:10 PM   #13
exprt9

Got three!

I own a PT111 MilPro, which I bought first. It's been very reliable so I bought the PT140 MilPro with the same performance as the PT111. When the 3rd gen. PT145Pro came out, I bought one of those too. So far, I like all three and give them equal carry time!
Old June 17, 2007, 06:35 AM   #14
685cmj

I've put about 1,000 rounds through my PT 111 pro with nary a problem. Shoots straight, always shoots, shoots everything I feed it, and has great sights compared to some of my other guns. I pocket carry it lots in a simple Uncle Mike's Sidekick pocket holster which fits it like a glove. This is a gun I have truly been remarkably and pleasantly surprised by.
Old June 17, 2007, 06:40 AM   #15
Jkwas

News Flash for all PT111 milpro owners:

I installed a Hogue Handall Jr. on mine this week and took it to the range yesterday. My wife and I both shot the tightest groups ever. This grip aligns the gun perfectly in the hand and makes it point naturally. We had been having problems with shooting low, but the problem wasn't the sights, it was the gun nose diving. It shoots like a completely different gun and really imroves one-handed shooting. Even if you're having good results with the factory grip, you should try this regardless. It's cheap enough.
By the way, the gun performed flawlessly as always.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Cory88

Here you go

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...olvers/01-8030

go there for a laser it mounts to the trigger frame you get some cheaper prices for it on amazon. Also I have the .40 and love it had a couple jams when I let the wife fire or load the mags in the pistol ( I just think she didn't slap it hard enough lol) but love it no big problems.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:06 PM   #17
Sarge

Short PT140 review here. This one seems to be running just fine for its owner, who's had it for a about 3 years and qualifies with it at least yearly.
Old February 27, 2013, 11:23 PM   #18
Crankgrinder

I had a pt111 pro. great little gun. Functioned well, fed reliably with everything i tried but hydra shocks only problem was it shot consistently about 12" low for me. (this pistol did not have the heine straight eight sights). My bad shooting with it was why i traded it in on a glock19. Shoot much better with it now.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:26 PM   #19
scottycoyote

i had a 3rd gen pro in 45, never had any problems out of it, was actually a pretty awesome carry gun considering it toted 11 rounds of 45 and only weighted a little over 20oz. I ended up going with an even lighter carry gun and let the milpro go, but i wouldnt hesitate to pick one up if it moved me (altho seems like alot of the probs were with pre-3rd gen guns, id stay out of them).
Old March 1, 2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Doyle

Quote:
Don't you think you should ask questions like that BEFORE you buy something? I certainly do.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:25 PM   #21
wpsdlrg

I did have a 3rd generation PT145 for a while. The slide was loose and rattly, but it was surprisingly accurate and reliable. I never had any feeding or ejection problems.

I did, however, have one major problem. A very small part in the FCG broke (a small link, about 1/4" long)....and the gun went full auto. Subsequent investigation revealed that the Mill Pro series guns had originally been designed as DAO. For the third generation, Taurus added an auxiliary sear assembly, converting the pistol to SA/DA operation. The part that broke was part of this added sear assembly. I removed the add-on sear assembly, thus converting the pistol back to DAO operation. After that, IMO, it was a much better pistol anyway. Reliability continued as before.

I sold the PT145 a short while later.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:33 AM   #22
loose_holster_dan

great ergos and size. terrible shooter. sloppy trigger.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 9, 2014, 02:05 AM   #23
sthomper

I grew up in New Jersey, but later moved to Florida and made a complete recovery.

nope. still subpar sarcasm.
Old December 9, 2014, 08:39 PM   #24
lee n. field

-----delete, thread necromancy----
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; December 9, 2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old December 9, 2014, 08:44 PM   #25
AustinTX

A 7.5-year-old blast from the past. I had forgotten that former member Qwiks Draw used to post these walls of copied-and-pasted text in defense of Taurus.