The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2008, 12:06 PM   #1
DaveInPA

Is a tumbler necessary?

I'm just getting into reloading and I'm wondering if I need a tumbler. I really don't care if my cartridges are shiny, as long as they go bang properly.
Old January 22, 2008, 12:13 PM   #2
ShootingNut

Dave,
Well, I certainly consider it a necessary piece of equipment, but I like to put out a shiny finished product. After a few firings, I would think they are going to look pretty crappy, just my opinion of course.
Good Luck!
SN
Old January 22, 2008, 12:29 PM   #3
DaveInGA

No, but they're handy for cleaning the range dirt off your brass. The NRA and other outfits have a liquid solution you can use to clean as well, but it's not as handy.

Regards,

Dave
Old January 22, 2008, 12:40 PM   #4
oldcspsarge

YES !

The tumbler in cleaning both the inside and outside of the brass. Keeps your sizing die much cleaner by processing clean brass and it you retumble after sizing, cleans out primer pocket as well.

You may consider taking a NRA reloading class at a local NRA affiliate range...lots of good info and tips on where to find discount components locally.
Old January 22, 2008, 12:43 PM   #5
TexasSeaRay

I consider it a necessary piece of reloading equipment, and for the following reasons:

1. Clean brass is easier to inspect for defects.

2. I don't like running dirty brass through my dies.

3. I've seen reloaded ammo that was loaded in really dirty cases that had turned green--the soot and dirt on the brass cartridge eventually retained humidity/moisture.

4. Why run dirty cartridges through my guns?

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old January 22, 2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't have a tumbler when I first started reloading. I used an old bag that I put my brass in and washed it with my work clothes (there are many other ways to clean your brass without a tumbler). Then I had to dry it all. PITA. But I had reasonably clean brass. Tweren't all shiny, but the excess soot and stuff was gone, so it wouldn't scratch up my dies. Then, I didn't care how my brass looked... I just wanted to shoot!

Got a tumbler last year in Feb.

Now, I wouldn't be caught without one. Not only does my brass look new, but I know for sure there are no cracks or other defects. I know for sure it won't scratch my dies. I also like the comments from my shooting buddies, who think I've bought new brass (they don't reload and a small amount of pride in your workmanship is good for the ego)).

Is it essential? No. But it's one of those things that just make life a little easier.
Old January 22, 2008, 01:39 PM   #7
arkie2

The short answer is, no you don't need a tumbler. I started out washing my brass in the kitchen and drying it in the oven on low heat. However, the amount of peace obtained by buying a tumbler was worth it! The wife is much happier. I might add that using a tumbler is easier so it's a win win.
Old January 22, 2008, 01:49 PM   #8
tomh1426

Ive been reloading without a tumbler for a while but I plan on getting one ASAP.
I was thinkin about this one http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...853&hasJS=true
Old January 22, 2008, 02:39 PM   #9
farnorthdan

Agreed...a tumbler is a must have and makes the cleaning process so much faster. I tumble my brass before I do anything else. then I lube and size, then take it to the kitchen sink and wash in hot soapy water, rinse. Then I put it in a kitchen colander and put it on a rack in the clothes dryer on high. End product=like new brass ready for reloading.......
Old January 22, 2008, 02:39 PM   #10
caz223

At first I didn't know if I was going to like reloading enough to get into it hardcore, so I went absolutely minimalistic.
Broke as a joke college student paying off loans, but I bought a .41 magnum. Couldn't keep it fed on my earnings, so I limited myself to 100 rounds a week of reloaded ammo.
I operated for 2 years with only minor upgrades, and prolly only spent $100 on equipment that kept me in ammo for 2 years of 100 rounds a week.
Lee loader kit, tupperware, hand priming tool, dippers, primer pocket brush, a load manual, and a milk carton to store the whole thing in. Then I bought another $150 or so of stuff and lasted another year. Uniflo powder measure, RCBS 502 scale, a powder trickler, and more lee loader kits in other calibers.
I didn't have a tumbler until '98 or so, went for years and years just fine with chrome polish and a rag, using the same 300 pieces of brass over and over, they lasted a very long, long time. Still got most of them.
Now I don't even bother with a tumbler anymore, I got a better job and went spending crazy, got some nice dillon presses, lots of quick change kits. My job gave me access to their industrial ultrasonic cleaner for my brass and guns. No more dust, no more picking media from flash holes, no more scraping primer pockets, no more wiping every case with a rag. No more dirty cases. No more. I bought my own a few years back. So worth it.
My ammo isn't any better than it was in the early days.
It's just a whole lot easier to make it, and I can make a whole lot more of it in one sitting.
Decide for yourself if the volume you're doing is worth it.
100 rounds a week? Not worth it.
200 rounds a week? Depends on caliber and amount of spare time.
More than that? Get a tumbler now, and save yourself the bother of wiping the cases down.
Old January 22, 2008, 02:43 PM   #11
Scorch

I reloaded for 10 years before buying a tumbler (way back in 1981), and then upgraded to a vibratory tumbler about 1986. I would say no, a tumbler is not "absolutely necessary", but it definitely fits into the "good to have" category.
Old January 22, 2008, 02:45 PM   #12
YukonKid

yes, i like to shoot shiney bullets
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 22, 2008, 03:17 PM   #13
The Lovemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie2
However, the amount of peace obtained by buying a tumbler was worth it! The wife is much happier.
I heard that!

Turns out if you dry brass on one of the wife's cookie sheets, for some reason you can see little outlines of the casings on the sheet, and they don't wash off. Beware, married men!! Luckily I got in almost no trouble for this one.

I second the tumbler votes above....not mandatory, but danged nice to have. The ease of use is great, and the end product is too. I've recently become a big fan of the NuFinish trick. A capful of it every third load or so and my brass comes out looking corn cob cleaned.....sweet!
Old January 22, 2008, 06:58 PM   #14
Sevens

I don't think that a tumbler is a necessity. I started reloading as a 16-year old on a shoestring budget. I reloaded for nearly 20 years without any kind of a case cleaner. I have one now, but it not a necessity.

If you shoot auto pistols more than revolvers, your brass may get a little dirtier. If you shoot outdoors on a muddy, dirty or dusty range, your brass may be a little dirtier.
If you scrounge a lot of brass from other folks' leftovers, your brass may be good and dirty.
Old January 22, 2008, 09:53 PM   #15
DWARREN123

Makes them shiny but also cleans them quite a lot.
Old January 23, 2008, 09:18 AM   #16
DBotkin

Didn't have a tumbler for the first 30 years reloading rifle and pistol ammo, and everything worked out just fine. Also didn't spend any time washing, scrubbing, drying or worrying about how the brass looked - it all worked perfectly.

Couple of years ago I got a vibratory tumbler. Now everything works precisely the same, but the brass looks much nicer. Oh, and my hands don't get quite as dirty when reloading... but it doesn't save any washing, especially after fishing all the brass out of the cleaning media. All in all, I'd say it not necessary, but awfully nice to have.
Old January 23, 2008, 09:39 AM   #17
zxcvbob

It's seldom necessary to even clean your brass if you shoot a revolver.

If you shoot an autoloader, or scrounge used brass at the range, you're gonna want a tumbler. You don't really need a media separator unless you are doing high volume.
Old January 23, 2008, 09:53 AM   #18
Alleykat

A tumbler is not really necessary, any more than dies without scratches are really necessary.
Old January 23, 2008, 10:56 AM   #19
GLK

I consider a tumbler or a cleaner of some type necessary, TexasSeaRay and AlleyKat pretty much nailed it as to why.
Old January 23, 2008, 06:38 PM   #20
CrustyFN

Quote:
Is it essential? No. But it's one of those things that just make life a little easier.
A lot easier for me. I cleaned around 2,000 cases yesterday and today and only have around 20 minutes of my time in it. I have a load in the tumbler right now. I can't imagine having to clean brass any other way.
Rusty
Old January 23, 2008, 11:15 PM   #21
hhrgprez

tumbler

Only one person mentioned liquid cleaner. Don't want to dry in household appliances, then dip in alcohol. I put mine in mesk laundry bag and dip in a small bucket of alcohol. shake out and cover the bucket. Nice clean dry cases, though not as shiny, but much faster.
Old January 24, 2008, 08:49 PM   #22
flycaster

I'm newish at this, but here's what I did: I filled my office ultrasonic cleaner with water, and a shot each of dishwashing liquid and vinegar. Then I ran the sucker for 20 minutes, rinsed the brass, dunked it in a mild baking soda solution, re-rinsed, and dried them. Very clean, inside and out- just not sparkly shiny. I don't mind that.

Chuck
Old January 24, 2008, 10:23 PM   #23
speedracer211

Dont use anything ammonia based.
Old January 24, 2008, 11:01 PM   #24
Eric M.

About the cheapest investment in reloading is a tumbler.
Like what was said, it keeps your dies much cleaner, and gives your reloads a much more finished look.
About $60.00 gets you a good one.
You can clean with other means, but the tumbler works the best and will not cost much.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old January 25, 2008, 10:10 AM   #25
indiansummer

Question isn't why buy one ....it's why not. Any serious reloader would want to keep his area and components clean. I used to use the cleaning cloths from Sportsmans Warehouse or Gander Mountain. Pain in the butt & very time consuming though they worked good.......but not on the inside of the case. They're disposable though so if you plan on reloading for a long time the cost of a tumbler isn't so bad. Deposits on cases, dies, and chambers are never a good thing even if you're not reloading for precision accuracy.