The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 24, 2015, 06:12 PM   #26
Paul B.

Bongo Boy. Only 61? You're just a young whippersnapper. I'll be 77in 34 more days. Probably treat myself to a nice leisurely reloading session or a trip to the range. Might even hit an LGS and buy myself a present. I'll think of something.
Paul B.
Old August 7, 2015, 01:58 PM   #27
Bongo Boy

I opted for the smaller 6x scope, and using the medium-height rings that came with the rifle, the setup isn't bad at all. I'm going to get the low-height Ruger style rings though, as it's still just a bit tall for me.

If there's any secret to getting that front objective housing off so I can remove the Golden Ring and get it black, let me know. I'm thinking the old 18" stillson wrench isn't the way to go, but it's tempting,

The stock continues to deepen a bit as it gains a lustrous delightfulness after each weekly greasing with oil. If I'm not careful I may end up with a sheen comparable to the urethane it started out with. Thankfully, I've plenty of abrasives around the garage to correct that should it happen.

Trying to find just the right sling--that's been very difficult, at any price. After painful agonizing, I just ordered the Murray A1 sling--not too military, not too goofy:

I think finding a stamped, dyed, graffiti'ed sling with a pouch for your flask might be easier.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; August 7, 2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old August 8, 2015, 09:09 AM   #28
flashhole

Nice job. I did something similar with a CZ 550 Full Stock. Made the wood look so much richer. I know what you mean about the high gloss, I never warmed up to it.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 4, 2015, 03:33 PM   #29
Bongo Boy

Okay one last photo then I'll stop. Here she is, all dressed up in a fashionable leather sling, with some sheen from the oil still on the sling when it arrived:

This might be enough to make me want to go hunt something. I don't know. I'd probably have to get a bit more oil off the stock or the rifle just might squirt right out of my hands with these lovely loads I've cooked up.

The 420 gr antelope load (45gr 4198):

...and my 325 gr rabbit load (46gr 4198):

Last edited by Bongo Boy; September 4, 2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old September 4, 2015, 04:11 PM   #30
flashhole

Sweet, my 45-70 is the Marlin Guide Gun. Had it to the range today with my handloads. Amazingly accurate for what it is.

Are you ready for civil war?