The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 17, 2011, 11:16 PM   #1726
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Is someone looking for pi in the sky?
Old December 17, 2011, 11:26 PM   #1727
MTT TL

With Holders pi type arguments I just wish he would resign.
Old December 18, 2011, 09:48 AM   #1728
Dan F

With the current subject under discussion, the type of pi we'd likely get is cow.
Old December 18, 2011, 10:24 AM   #1729
pnac

Quote:
With the current subject under discussion, the type of pi we'd likely get is cow.
Winner!!!!!
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old December 19, 2011, 02:12 AM   #1730
jimpeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Norris View Post
Is someone looking for pi in the sky?
A calculated risk which could end up with pi in the eye.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old December 19, 2011, 02:15 AM   #1731
jimpeel

How do ya like them apples!

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Old December 19, 2011, 12:39 PM   #1732
Tom Servo
Staff

The Houston Chronicle has an interview with outgoing SAC Dewey Webb, which is notable for this confusing little tidbit:

Quote:
Q: Does it make sense for Mexican cartels with unlimited cash to buy guns a few at a time over the counter in the United States when they could get them in bulk from international arms traffickers?

A: People are watching too many movies. … For somebody to load up a ship and bring it all the way to Mexico, it is just not cost-effective for them. As long as we are the cheapest, easiest place to get guns, we are going to continue to be the No. 1 source. (Cartels) want quality guns; they don't want junk. They are very practical. They want reliable, military-type weapons to outfit their private armies.
You see, pi is supposed to be 22/7, but if you change it to 21/7, it becomes much easier, and our kids can waste less time in geometry class.
Old December 19, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1733
Steel Talon

Eric Holder Claims Racism

Unfricking believable..

Eric Holder Claims Racism Responsible for Fast and Furious Criticism

Quote:
The Weekly Standard.. The Blog comments..
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...sm_613596.html
But Mr. Holder contended that many of his other critics — not only elected Republicans but also a broader universe of conservative commentators and bloggers — were instead playing “Washington gotcha” games, portraying them as frequently “conflating things, conveniently leaving some stuff out, construing things to make it seem not quite what it was” to paint him and other department figures in the worst possible light.

Of that group of critics, Mr. Holder said he believed that a few — the “more extreme segment” — were motivated by animus against Mr. Obama and that he served as a stand-in for him. “This is a way to get at the president because of the way I can be identified with him,” he said, “both due to the nature of our relationship and, you know, the fact that we’re both African-American.”

The Times Article…Sited
A Partisan Lightning Rod Is Undeterred
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/us...ldiers-on.html
Old December 19, 2011, 02:35 PM   #1734
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
The Houston Chronicle has an interview with outgoing SAC Dewey Webb, which is notable for this confusing little tidbit:
What a sorry excuse for journalism that piece is... talk about a puff piece. It also has one of my favorite nonsensical ATF claims - that they have the same budget and manpower now as they did in 1976, 1994, 1999, 2001 (pick whatever year best suits your agenda).

Of course, they never note that in 1976 the ATF was responsible for both firearm and ammo 4473's, had no computers or word processing equipment, and had upwards of 200,000 FFLs to monitor. Today the ATF monitors only about 67,000 FFLs (less than a quarter of what it was even in 1994) and has a dozen different labor-saving devices that didn't exist in 1976. Only in government can you lose 75% of your customers, and get billions of dollars in technologically advanced equipment and need more staff to do the job.

And if you are going to pretend to ask them hard questions about Fast and Furious, why not ask them how the AUSA managed to indict two Houston-area FFLs that were cooperating with the ATF without knowing about that cooperation? Or how about whether that cooperation was connected to those FFL's names appearing on the list of FFLs connected to Mexican drug cartels that was leaked to the Washington Post?

ETA: How ironic is it that the guy playing the race card is playing it to defend a policy that killed hundreds of Mexican citizens and will likely kill hundreds more before it all plays out? Doesn't seem like a smart move to me; but I guess that only applies when you have a hostile press.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; December 19, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old December 19, 2011, 02:40 PM   #1735
C0untZer0

I never thought I'd live to see the day when the race card finally lost it's steam but I think that day is almost here.

I think so many politicians and professional athletes have gone to the well wih this one oh so - too many times that it really has lost its power with mainstream Americans.

It would be easy to derail this thread with the race tangent which I hope doesn't happen. Two of the worst villains in this debacle are Bill Newell and Lanny Breuer, I don't see Issa and Grassley cutting them a break because of their race...

The political reality though is that the big fish in all of this is the President, the next biggest fish is the AG. That political reality has nothing to do with the color of their skin and everything to do with what party they belong to.
Old December 19, 2011, 04:06 PM   #1736
pnac

Quote:
That political reality has nothing to do with the color of their skin and everything to do with what party they belong to.
I agree that's the political reality, the non-political reality is they're a bunch of common crooks and we want something done about it. Politics be damned!
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old December 19, 2011, 04:40 PM   #1737
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bart, are you trying to say that in 1976, folks were even filling out the "Form 4473" for anything?

I only remember having to fill out a form after Clinton was well in office... sum-merz 'round 1990-92 iirc...

Normally I walked in, plopped down cash, graved my new gun with my sweaty meat hooks and went home...

Brent
Old December 19, 2011, 04:45 PM   #1738
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And to add...

I take high offense that he would even attempt the utterance of racism playing any role in this...

When I see most folks, I see them as my equal and withhold judgement until their behaviors and decisions lend to my ability to choose an opinion...

When I see the ilks of these sorts, kith of the current liberal politicians, I see pure evil... I see pure incompetence, I see a total disregard for legitimacy, I SEE MY ENEMY!!! NUTTIN' TO DO WITH RACE WHATSOEVER!!!!

Brent
Old December 19, 2011, 05:09 PM   #1739
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Bart, are you trying to say that in 1976, folks were even filling out the "Form 4473" for anything?
The Form 4473 is one of the fruits of the 1968 Gun Control Act and has been a part of federal law since then. In fact, up until 1986, you were not only required to fill out a Form 4473 for firearms; but for purchases of handgun ammo as well. The handgun ammo requirement was removed in 1986 with the Firearm Owner's Protection Act (and had broad bipartisan support) because it was pretty much useless.
Old December 19, 2011, 05:12 PM   #1740
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I do not remember filling out any forms but my gun purchasing began around '86 when I turned 18
mea culpa...

Brent
Old December 19, 2011, 07:22 PM   #1741
MTT TL

Quote:
“both due to the nature of our relationship and, you know, the fact that we’re both African-American.”
LOL, so now he is complaining about being a punching bag for the President on the Cabinet the he is supposed to represent? The martyrdom complex is almost scary. Reminds of William Jennings Bryan where they become such fervent believers in their own nonsense they will ignore all other reality than their own.

His belief that he is being victimized does not change the fact that his policy victimized hundreds.

Quote:
The Houston Chronicle...
Yeah, you can stop right there. They are a mouthpiece for the democratic party and that is about it. Half there articles are full of homonyms [pun]. You see spell checker works but if they don't know what the words mean....
Old December 19, 2011, 07:31 PM   #1742
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
This is a way to get at the president because of the way I can be identified with him, both due to the nature of our relationship and, you know, the fact that we’re both African-American.
"Nature of the relationship?" Like being the Attorney General of the United States? Or maybe it's due to the fact that he's so incompetent he can't keep rogue elements like Breuer in line, can't orchestrate a decent coverup, and doesn't have the political acumen to throw anyone under the bus, even if it means saving his own lying skin.

Or maybe it's just that wretched walrus mustache.
Old December 19, 2011, 08:15 PM   #1743
alan

Steel Talon provided the following:
Eric Holder Claims Racism

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfricking believable..

Quote:
The Weekly Standard.. The Blog comments..
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...sm_613596.html
But Mr. Holder contended that many of his other critics — not only elected Republicans but also a broader universe of conservative commentators and bloggers — were instead playing “Washington gotcha” games, portraying them as frequently “conflating things, conveniently leaving some stuff out, construing things to make it seem not quite what it was” to paint him and other department figures in the worst possible light.

Of that group of critics, Mr. Holder said he believed that a few — the “more extreme segment” — were motivated by animus against Mr. Obama and that he served as a stand-in for him. “This is a way to get at the president because of the way I can be identified with him,” he said, “both due to the nature of our relationship and, you know, the fact that we’re both African-American.”

The Times Article…Sited
A Partisan Lightning Rod Is Undeterred
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/us...ldiers-on.html

--------------------

This reader wonders as to whom it might be that is guilty of racism? You have as many guesses as might be necessary, though I suspect that one would prove sufficient. Do thse basketball players really stick together?
Old December 19, 2011, 08:24 PM   #1744
Don P

Quote:
Its just the lefts way of silencing the crowd because NOBODY wants to be labeled a racist. The race card will take some of the heat off Holder, for a short while, I hope. Hopefully this is one monkey he can't get off his back
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 19, 2011, 08:52 PM   #1745
zxcvbob

Having now played his race card, does he have to turn it in?
Old December 19, 2011, 09:00 PM   #1746
MTT TL

Quote:
Having now played his race card, does he have to turn it in?
It goes back to the bottom of the deck where he will be dealing it again shortly.

Quote:
“conflating things, conveniently leaving some stuff out, construing things to make it seem not quite what it was”.....
It's like Deja vu all over again.

Old December 19, 2011, 09:06 PM   #1747
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I never thought I'd live to see the day when the race card finally lost it's steam but I think that day is almost here.
Sorry, C0untZer0, if I seem to quibble, but the race card lost its value a long time ago. When you see it played today, you can be sure the player is somewhere near the far end of desperate.

We really do judge people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.
Old December 20, 2011, 03:40 AM   #1748
jimpeel

I will be calling Issa and Grassley's offices tomorrow to encourage them to finally say it like it is.

"Mr. Holder, this has nothing to do with your race. It has to do with the fact that you are the head of a United States government agency which perpetrated an act of war against a foreign sovereign state, the Republic of Mexico; and you, Sir, are the responsible party unless you can point us to who that party is. Do I make myself clear?"

Ah, perchance to dream ...

Old December 20, 2011, 01:42 PM   #1749
armoredman

The only color that matters is the red blood that was spilled on your hands.
Old December 20, 2011, 02:09 PM   #1750
HarrySchell

Quote:
Sorry, C0untZer0, if I seem to quibble, but the race card lost its value a long time ago. When you see it played today, you can be sure the player is somewhere near the far end of desperate.
The race card is used to soothe or stoke a narrowing niche of those faithful to racism as an excuse for themselves, and a plea for support. Blind support, of the kind NAACP now provides.

Holder can't argue the law. He can't argue the facts. What else is left?

The pressure is beginning to tell, I agree. And for the US AG to accuse non-supporters of racism...I guess he knows it's alive and well in some hearts, anyway.

Tags
atf , fast and furious