The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2009, 08:44 PM   #1
SQUAREKNOT

Buy your bullets now

The price of lead was less than $0.50 a lb ten months ago. Today it is almost
a $1.00.
I follow commodities pretty regular and I do not see any reason for things to drop or even level out. Bullets prices are not yet reflecting the increase.
They will!
Old October 7, 2009, 08:47 PM   #2
CrustyFN

That's one of the reasons I cast my own.
Old October 8, 2009, 04:18 PM   #3
medalguy

What's causing the increases? Is it greenies causing problems for lead refineries or other factors?
Old October 8, 2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

It's likely to be battery demand, most of which manufacturing is now in China. On the other hand, copper prices are nowhere near their peak.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 8, 2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

Actually the price hasn't come down much from when lead & copper hit record highs last year... it makes sense the price of finished goods should reflect the raw material prices, but when you factor in other environmental factors, such as demand based on both war & political drives, it gets tougher to predict...

since it seems as if component manufacturers are starting to get caught up, if / when they do, you will likely see a price reduction, that doesn't have anything to do with raw material prices...
Old October 8, 2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Longdayjake

I sell bullets for a living and I have already been hit by higher prices. I have yet to raise my prices because there is a lot of bullets on the market right now that I have to compete with. Once the bullets that are on the market right now go away you will see prices going back up because I can bet you that I am not the only dealer that is not getting as good of prices as we were 5 months ago.

Last edited by Longdayjake; October 8, 2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old October 8, 2009, 06:46 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

This means an increase of lead price for a 500 gr bullet from 1.5c to 3c, or about $0.75 on a box of 50. Somehow I don't think that the lead price a significant price driver.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:24 PM   #8
SQUAREKNOT

If you have lots of money, cost means nothing. Most of us do not have unlimited money so we try to buy cheap.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Tom2

Was in Gander Mountain a couple weeks ago. They finally had some few types of handgun bullets for sale. I noticed that Hornady 100's boxes were about 10$ a box more than the current mail order prices, too. I can think of a rude joke about G.M. They should change the name of their store from G.M. to B.B.M. as you bend over and take it at the checkout.
Old October 9, 2009, 06:17 PM   #10
CrustyFN

Quote:
Was in Gander Mountain a couple weeks ago. They finally had some few types of handgun bullets for sale. I noticed that Hornady 100's boxes were about 10$ a box more than the current mail order prices, too. I can think of a rude joke about G.M. They should change the name of their store from G.M. to B.B.M. as you bend over and take it at the checkout.
I went to the GM in Reynoldsburg by Columbus and when I saw the cheapest 500 pack of 22LR was $40 I turned right around and walked out.
Old October 9, 2009, 06:27 PM   #11
troy_mclure

it was up to above $1/lb last year this time. its one reason for the still high ammo prices.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old October 10, 2009, 02:25 PM   #12
shepherddogs

I don't see how Gander stays in business. Their prices are absolutely insulting. Last time I went there was the last time I'll ever go.
Old October 10, 2009, 03:03 PM   #13
Sevens

I agree with that, but make some allowances.
I find their prices on some other items to be middle of the road or even competitive. Cheap holsters, accessories, etc, can be closer to acceptable.

Also, the gun counter and used gun counter varies wildly by store, likely by each department head on an individual basis-- I've heard of some folks finding decent deals on firearms.

But NO DOUBT-- if you are talking powder, primers, bullets, loaded ammo? Stay far, far away from this joint. IMO, they may as well stock pictures of these items rather than these items, because I don't know who pays their asking price for them.
Old October 10, 2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Russ5924

They opened a GM about a year ago near me. I walked in walked around checking prices left and have never been back:barf:
Old October 10, 2009, 05:46 PM   #15
Crosshair

Quote:
What's causing the increases? Is it greenies causing problems for lead refineries or other factors?
There was a headfake in 2008. Everyone wanted out of commodities and into cash as everyone was fearing deflation, forgetting the cash no longer had gold backing. They are realizing the error of their ways and are selling off cash, specifically the US dollar, to get back into stuff. Thus driving up commodity prices.
Old October 10, 2009, 06:05 PM   #16
Farmland

GM what can I say they have most everything. The only bad thing is that I live in a small market. Prior to GM we had several small to medium gun / hunting stores. For the most part their prices where competitive.

Around 5 year ago GM came to town, to be honest I was a little excited at the time. Today those other stores are closed and with the exception of one gun stores they have no competition. So yes they charge a lot more and I often find myself walking out without buying anything.

Their prices on bullets should be a crime, however am am lucky enough to be able to visit a more competitive store about an hour drive from the farm. The great thing is this place does have better prices than any on line shop does too.

I'm not going to tie up an inventory on bullets though, they just are not that expensive unless I am buying them from GM.
Old October 11, 2009, 08:44 AM   #17
jsflagstad

I would agree that the GM prices have gotten out of hand. With their buying power, they ought to be able to bring us the best prices but they fail to meet this mark. I instead go to a mom and pop store that is 5 miles down the road from GM and has managed to stay in business over the years. Yesterday, GM was $4.99 per 100 for rifle primers and the M&P shop was $3.49.

The other frustration with GM for me is that half of the items on their shelves isn't even priced. I hate that.....or the price it rings at is more than it says on the shelf.....ticks me off.

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old October 11, 2009, 08:47 AM   #18
Cajun

Lead Prices

There are two things to look at on lead pricing. One is the spot price and the other is warehouse levels. The warehouse levels are going up rapidly. Price drop will follow shortly.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/le...cal_large.html