The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2006, 02:55 PM   #1
DannyB KY

O/U Trap gun for $600 ?????

What are my choices for a decent O/U trap gun in the $600 to $700 range?
The wife wants one, so I[m going to have to buy two!

I am an absolute know-nothing rookie at shotgun sports! Can you recommend a good Trap/Skeet web page for rookies?
S&W M 27-2
Trusty old family 12ga
New toy in the near future. But not sure what!!

USAF MSgt Retired 1977-1998------------ Ft Knox-French Range----------Knob Creek Range----
Old January 14, 2006, 05:59 PM   #2
ron73644

Lanber is in that range, and is much better than the price would indicate. I have a new 2097. www.lanber.net
www.cdnnsports.com
Old January 14, 2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Ruger4570

If you are looking for a "dedicated trap gun" I have seen a couple of used Browning BT-99 for what you want to pay. I have one and it is a great gun, never fails to fire, never had to replace anything and it crunches birds like crazy. This gun is basically set up for only trap and is NOT an o/u as you said you were looking for, but unless you are going to be shooting trap doubles a single barrel is fine.
Old January 14, 2006, 08:03 PM   #4
David Berkowitz

Danny,
You have some decisions to make.
If you are absolutely locked in on your $600 budget, I'd shop used.
I thought Lanber was in the $800 bracket. I agree with Ron about the value. Of all the lower priced, generally available guns, they are among the best, much better than Verona, which is highly promoted. Lanber has a sporting Clays model that should be very suitable for trap or skeet. It is a kind of in-between gun.
Another option that I like is the Huglu imported by CZ. I think these may be in your price bracket but I'm not certain. I have one form De Hahn that is phenominal, but mine was a bit more than you want to spend.
Ruger, isn't the BT99 a single barrel?

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Old January 14, 2006, 08:49 PM   #5
DannyB KY

If I was only buying one gun, I'd probably go with something like the Red Label. But I"m buying two, so thats out of the question. I'm planning on moving on this in 3 weeks. I'll check on the Lanbars then and see if they are still available for that price.

The Spartan, imported by Remington, sounds real interesting:

Quote:
Formed specifically to bring you a line of break-action guns with great value, Spartan Gunworks by Remington delivers unbelievable quality for the price.

How did they do it? It’s the result of countless hours researching and exploring firearms producers from all over the world in an effort to find one manufacturer capable of producing break-action guns that meet Remington's demanding standard of quality. They found the answer nestled in a small Russian village. It’s a place where skilled craftsman painstakingly create top-quality break-action guns...one at a time.

Once you see one, you’ll agree. The Spartan Gunworks brand stands head and shoulders above other U.S. imports in its class. With features found on guns costing hundreds, even thousands more, Spartan Gunworks brings you break-action firearms that will not only give you the best value equation on the market, it offers exceedingly good quality.
Innovation, durability, and the latest technology. These are the hallmarks of a brand that is destined to make an impression for many years to come. Spartan Gunworks – setting a new standard for imported shotguns.
Who knows what is hype and what is real. I did see where someone thought the spartan is underpriced.

I do want an O/U, do it all type gun. I realize thats a compromise, but thats ok.

I'm still listening and open to ideas!!
S&W M 27-2
Trusty old family 12ga
New toy in the near future. But not sure what!!

USAF MSgt Retired 1977-1998------------ Ft Knox-French Range----------Knob Creek Range----
Old January 15, 2006, 11:41 AM   #6
ron73644

Lanber

You can also try these places for more information.
Midstates Shooter Supply
Talo Inc.
Wilayah Arms
Bachelder Master Guns---Service Center for Lanber. They were very helpful with questions I had about the gun.
STB

Old January 15, 2006, 03:31 PM   #7
David Berkowitz

Danny,
The Spartan is the Russian made gun that used to be named Baikel.
It is rugged, but rough as hell.
Remington is now marketing them, but that is not the same as manufacturing them.
I think you'd be better off with the Lanber. They don't spend as much on creating fancy write ups.
The Baikel will work if that is what you want.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.