The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 19, 2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Don P

Gun left in bathroom stall

Just on the news this morning. Off duty LEO left his G-26 in the stall on top of the toilet paper dispenser. Boy found the gun and gave it to his father and it was turned in. Officer is now under investigation to see if he violated any issues. Incident happened in the Tampa, FLA area. Guess he forgot to drop it into his pantaloons crotch while doing his thing.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Garycw

I've had the fear before of accidentally dropping it in the bowl. I couldn't imagine forgetting it. I'm glad it was safely turned in. There's LOTS of crime in the Hillsbourgh county area.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Don P

Yep sure is, as the father had stated on the news, gang banger, youngster with no firearms experience or not just telling an adult about the find, and in general the gun winding up in the wrong hands.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Corrections Cop

That happens more than you think.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5
deepcreek

It happened a year or so ago at Denver International Airport and was on the front page of the news paper. Must of been very embarrassing.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:49 AM   #6
arch308

Pobody's Nerfect.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:18 AM   #7
allaroundhunter

Re: Gun left in bathroom stall

The kid that found the gun is more responsible than the officer who left it....
Old June 19, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8
overkill0084

Time for a leash:

http://www.code3tactical.com/blackha...rd-swivel.aspx
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old June 19, 2013, 12:00 PM   #9
jrothWA

Similiar incident in 2006, Michigan State trooper...

stopped in a fast food place in Kalamazoo, used the "porcelian goddess" and left
duty weapon in plain sight and left. Got to base location and the county sherrif had a nice talk with his supervisor.

Made two days in the papers and TV, then died.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:07 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

20 years ago I worked a small mom's & pop's gas station that officers would stop at in the evening hours to use the restroom due to the fact that we kept super clean restrooms. Two cops left thier guns on the tank of the toilet. One realized it minutes later. I found it, and put it under the counter. When he came in I told him I found it. He thanked me. The other I called the shift sarge after he did not come back in an hour. The shift sarge picked it up. From what I heard that poor cop never got to hear the end of it.
Old June 19, 2013, 03:26 PM   #11
n5lyc

If you have ever been a LEO, I can assure you, His buddies will never let him live it down.

He has already probably gotten toy guns with leashes attached, toy guns with velcro gloves attached. neckchains.

I can think of MANY things that probably have found their way to his locker or desk by now.

And he probably has a new nickname..
Old June 19, 2013, 03:35 PM   #12
g.willikers

Dang, I'm gonna' start checking stalls for free guns.
Old June 19, 2013, 04:01 PM   #13
markj

Quote:
He has already probably gotten toy guns with leashes attached
I can bet that will be the case. My cousin used to put his snake in a rookies ride was 9 ft python.
Old June 19, 2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Erno86

I think it's bad doo-doo for someone to remove a pistol from a belted hip holster, while sitting on the throne; inorder to keep the pistol from falling out. I believe the pistol should be kept holstered with the waist of the pants --- along with the holster ---dropped no further than just below the knee caps. If the waist of the pants were dropped to boot or shoe level...the pistol and holster would be visible under the toilet stall from any passer-by who felt free too take a gander.

--- George Orwell
Old June 19, 2013, 04:08 PM   #15
g.willikers

That guy definitely needs a shoulder holster.
Old June 19, 2013, 04:28 PM   #16
NoSecondBest

Lanyard rings may make a comeback yet. I guess Sgt. Preston of the Yukon must have left his in the outhouse at one time or another. I remember as a kid that he had a leash on it.
Old June 19, 2013, 05:52 PM   #17
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Officer is now under investigation to see if he violated any issues.
Sure...

But yes guys it does happen more than you think. I've never left mine in a stall but many times I've had to, uh, sit it out while with the dang gun in my hand cause there was no place to put it! Here I was in a stall waving a 9mm Glock while trying to do business....

A few times I've had to actually hang the gun by the trigger guard in the coat rack that is on the door cause that was the only place to put it (thankfully I had a NY-1 trigger so no biggie.)

I've heard of several feds leaving their guns in stalls, seats in restaurants, and other locations.

Familiarity breeds contempt folks. Keep that in mind at all times.

Deaf
Old June 19, 2013, 07:01 PM   #18
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
He has already probably gotten toy guns with leashes attached, toy guns with velcro gloves attached. neckchains
Better that than knowing a random person picked it up and caused horrific injury with it.

Anyone who carries a gun has the responsibility of maintaining control of it at all times. If they can't do that, they have no place carrying a gun.

...and yes, the public restroom stall is a situation that needs to be planned for beforehand.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:23 PM   #19
wyobohunter

Lucky the kid knew what to do. I consider myself extremely safety conscious but brain farts happen.

I took my kids to the park while CCing only to find a "no weapons" rule at the park (odd considering state gun laws). I left the pistol in the front door pocket. When I got home I forgot about it until my wife found it and called me at work the next day. The kids are indoctrinated on what to do if they find a gun, they never go into the front of the vehicle but still, it made me feel sick.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Mr. James

Some years ago, a Virginia State Policeman was gassing up his patrol vehicle at a gas station in, I believe, the Manassas area. His duty belt had gotten bollixed up, and he decided to adjust his gear. He drew his service pistol and set it on the roof of the Crown Victoria, while he addressed whatever was bothering him. You guessed it. The pistol (IIRC, it was a Sig 226) went bouncing down the road. It was retrieved by a solid citizen, and he got it back, but ouch!

I once had a S&W 642 fall out of an IWB holster when the whole rig, belt and all, just flopped over. Bad juju, but I was in a single-stall head, and I had the whole place to myself. Yikes. That led to some adjustments in approaching public restrooms. Don't want the revolver bouncing under the stall. "Daddy, look, a gun!"

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old June 19, 2013, 09:10 PM   #21
Ajtozzi

The officer should be criminally charged especially considering that a child found it.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:11 PM   #22
locnload

"The officer should be criminally charged especially considering that a child found it."

Do any one of us want this standard applied to ourselves if we make this mistake? I doubt it. Just like having an ND, some say its not a matter of if, but when it will happen to you. No matter how good, how competent, how responsible you believe yourself to be, you can make a mistake. Criminal charges should be applied to intentional criminal actions, not mistakes. No one should lose their livelihood and have an abrupt end to a long and honorable career because of a mistake. I would hope, that LE would have the same compassion for legally armed civilians, although I don't count on it. Guys do it often enough, and as John Farnum pointed out during a class, armed women have to deal with this issue every time thy visit the ladies room.
"Judge not, lest ye be judged".
And I'll bet the kid who safely and responsibly turned the gun in, may have been taught what to do by one of those evil NRA programs like Eddie Eagle.
Old June 19, 2013, 11:04 PM   #23
ClydeFrog

sensative item check....

This topic comes up on gun forums often.
Many cops & federal agents leave weapons and gear unsecured a lot.
Private citizens and service members do it too!

When I was in the US military we were trained to check for sensative items & be alert.
Stress, medications daydreaming etc can make you careless.

Stay alert!
Old June 20, 2013, 12:11 AM   #24
johnelmore

Lets be understanding. Officers work monster shifts where they have to drive around all day while having to maintain 100 percent concentration oftentimes with no one to talk to. Its exhausting work. You can give it a try yourself. Drive around your neighborhood for an hour and lets see your energy levels.

There is no excuse for unsecured firearms, but understand the situation and reasons. The officer is tired and made a mistake.
Old June 20, 2013, 07:44 AM   #25
kraigwy

It happens;

We had an officer assist some tourist get their motor home running. That was about 10 AM, about 5 that after noon the same tourist showed up at the police station with his gun. Seems he work most of the shift not knowing his gun was missing. Uniform cop at that.

----------------------------------------------------------

A couple years ago, here is this little town the range officer was doing some training at our local "Honor Farm". He left a loaded shotgun and one of the prisoners found it and luckily turned it in.

He was promoted shortly there after, but only having a discharge in the police station sending a round through the wall into the break room (where the CSO, my stepdaughter was taking a break).
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Closed Thread