The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 23, 2013, 06:01 PM   #1
dayman

Cap box spring.

This would be easier if I had my camera, but I'm going to try anyway.

I recently bought a cast brass "hawkens style" cap box to install in my stock. It came with a flat spring - which is supposed to keep the door closed - but no explanation of how to install it. I have some ideas, but I'd like to get some advise before I start cutting into my stock.

I'm sort of doing this as a evenings project, and there's still lots of filing and fitting to do before I install it in the rifle, but I'd like to know I'm not filing off anything I'm going to need later.

I was wondering if anyone had installed one of these before and could help me out with the basic idea.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2
PetahW

YMMV, but this is how I've done them.

I usually file any rough edges, etc first, then polish outer surfaces of the cap or patch box to it's final finish before any inletting.

My first step is to inlet just the bare cap/patch box outer ring/frame until the top surface is flush with the surrounding stockwood's top surface - then mark the wood inside where the spring & hinge goes.
(If the hinge is part of the frame, it will needs be inletted as the outer ring is)

Then, remove the frame from the stock, install the spring & cover, and test the assembly off the rifle - if it doesn't work properly, try installing the spring so that it does work.

One the spring/cover/etc are working properly, place the assembly back into your inletting as far as possible, nibbling away only what's needed for the spring to have enough clearance to operate the door/cover.

It may take several R&R's with nibbles in between, to achieve the proper depth/clearance.

The last thing I do is use a Forsner bit to drill out the cavity for the caps.

FWIW, the first time I attempted the job, I tried to inlet/install the entire, assembled cap/patch box - but it didn't come out as neat for me as the above described procedure does.