The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 20, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
davlandrum

Range report - Rem. Reduced Recoil Ammo

Got some of Remington's reduced recoil ammo in 30-06 for my oldest to try. This will be his first year hunting deer, and he will be shooting my rifle (Rem 700 SPS). Situation will be both of us in a ground blind with shots no more than 100 yards for Oregon blacktail. I will be there only to be Dad, not hunting.

Ammo performance, accuracy-wise, was outstanding. I will admit that I have yet to find ammo that this rifle does not like. I loaded up 3 rounds and put them all in the bull at 100 yds. My normal hunting load is sighted in for 2" high at 100 yds, so I was pretty tickled at the fact it was dialed in perfectly.

The boy produced excellent groups as well - under 2" at 100 yds (3 rds).

I wish I could say how much less recoil there was, but I don't think my regular 30-06 loads recoil, so didn't really notice much different. Wearing a light jacket and the excellent limb-saver recoil pad on the rifle, son ran 30+ rounds through with no ill-effect. Would have shot more if I did not shut him down. He compared it to the 30-30 with 150 grain core-lokts that we also shot same day.

Hopefully, I will be able to post about effectiveness of ammo later this year!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 20, 2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Daryl

Good luck to you and your son on the hunt!

Daryl
Old September 20, 2010, 11:45 AM   #3
davlandrum

Thanks. He is a natural shooter - not going to be long before he is better than me, at least off the bench.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 20, 2010, 11:54 AM   #4
GeauxTide

It's a great thing to introduce your son(s) to hunting and fishing.
Old September 21, 2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Cowboy_mo

Hey Good luck to you and your son.

I bought some of the Federal Fusions when they came out a few years ago. My Rem 742 in 30-06 didn't like them at all but my Rem 770 really loved them.

Glad to hear we have another young hunter joining the ranks
Old September 22, 2010, 10:11 AM   #6
davlandrum

I would have tried the Federal Fusions as well, but could not track any down. I could have found them on the internet, I'm sure. Since blacktails are generally small, I am OK with the lighter bullet in the Rem.

Old September 22, 2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Crankylove

My only experience with the Reduced Recoil ammunition from Remmington was in my .270. I picked up two boxes a couple years ago cause they were on sale for less than $10 each. Felt recoil was considerably less, but the accuracy was horrible. At 100 yds, the groups opened up to about 18" (if you can call that a group). Recoil (to me) felt like a .233 Rem, maybe a light .243., markedly less than a normal .270 Win (which is a whole lot to start with). My gun didn't like them, but I did get some more brass to reload.
Old September 22, 2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Buzzcook

My first deer was Oregon Blacktail. I used an old Win 94 in .30-30.

Good times, have fun and take pictures.
Old September 24, 2010, 04:03 AM   #9
bamaranger

reduced .270

For some time, I loaded a reduced .270 load for friends starting youngsters on the .270, using the Sierra 110 PSP and a reduced powder charge yielding about 2600 fps or so. Results were quite good and a number of deer got cleanly killed. This was long before Rem introduced their reduced recoil loads.

I should ask for a commission on every box of the stuff they sell!!!!!!!!!!