The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2008, 03:13 PM   #1
BLS700

accidentally ordered moly coated bullets...what now

I just ordered 168 grain Sierra matchkings for .308. However, the guy at the shop for God knows what reason sent me Moly Coated 168 grain Sierra's. So what now? I'm new to reloading and I've heard that moly coated bullets change the load data (don't need that) and if so how do I compensate for it. Secondly have any of you found a benefit to using moly coated bullets. Should I just return them and reorder the right thing to avoid the hassle? What would you do?
Old July 19, 2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Alleykat

Unless you ordered a zillion, why don't you just load them up and shoot them. They just take a little more powder than non-moly'd bullets, but they won't hurt anything.
Old July 19, 2008, 09:28 PM   #3
totalloser

+1 I would just shoot them. I have tumbled moly on my .223 bullets, and it seemed to make little difference in real world testing. Supposedly they limit friction and claim longer barrel life, but throat erosion is not caused by friction, but by heat, so unless the moly helps protect the rifling ahead of the chamber from heat, I think my moly kit money could have been better spent. I don't think they can possibly hurt anything, though.
Old July 20, 2008, 04:59 AM   #4
Martyn4802

Send them back.
Old July 20, 2008, 09:02 AM   #5
CPTMurdoc30

+1 for just shoot them up. You never know they may be more accurate.

-1 on send them back. Pay for shipping then a 10% restocking fee ha no thanks.
Old July 20, 2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Alleykat

Quote:
Send them back.
Why, pray tell??
Old July 20, 2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

There's a lot of hype about moly coated bullets, some good, some bad.

The powder loads are different due to the lower barrel friction (and reduced pressure). Just as when you change any component in reloading, you should start over from the bottom and work up to your desired velocity/pressure. Don't automatically assume you simply need more powder from the gitgo.

Cleaning procedures can be different, depending on how you clean now. Your barrel will probably require some "fouling shots" to coat the barrel.

Frankly, fiseyou, and if you don't plan on using moly coated bullets most of the time, I'd ask for an exchange or your money back.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:48 PM   #8
BLS700

Thanks for the advice. After reading your posts and doing research on my own I've decided to just send them back. Since it was the shops fault they said they won't charge me a restocking fee (which they should not) and I'll get a full refund. I only have the hassle of driving there for the exchange. I think that would be less annoying than getting the moly out of my barrel since I do not plan on continuing to shoot them. Also, being new to reloading I don't want to start off with Molys. Thanks guys