The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 26, 2007, 03:22 PM   #1
drhunta2

Marlin Bolt 12 gauge

My brother and I spent some time at the range yesterday. He was shooting his Marlin Bolt action 12 gauge, which I guess is now discontinued. It is a heavy mother but shoots dead on. He is thinking about selling it. It's in great shape, and has all the original paper work. Of the ten or so years he's had it, he's only hunted 5. He is looking to sell it becasue he wants one gun that he can change barrels for slugs and birds. We saw this same gun in crappy condition at a local shop for $359 which seems outrageous considering he bought his for $120. Any input on what you think he can get for it. I will try to get pics. but it is in pristine shape, not a scratch on it. Thanks in advance.
Old February 26, 2007, 04:07 PM   #2
The Gamemaster

Maybe $75, depending on how generous a gun shop or dealer is...

They were the bottom of the line shotguns mfg. by Marlin.

With all of the used pumps and auto's and double barrel shotguns out there - there isn't much of a market for bolt action shotguns anymore.

My book shows a Model 55 - 59 for around $65 - $80
Old February 26, 2007, 04:36 PM   #3
essexcounty

Not much intrest in bolt shotguns, but I see them as great utility guns that are available at great prices on the used market. They are simple and sturdy. I keep an old Mossberg by the back door and have taken more than a few birds with it. At one time I had a Marlin that was in pristine shape and felt it was well made and finished. I don't think I've ever paid more than $85.00 for any of mine. Enjoy it and to heck with the snobs. Essex
Old February 26, 2007, 07:08 PM   #4
lockedcj7

I have one that is a hand-me-down. Since it has a full choke, I wrapped it in camo tape and used it to hunt turkeys 'till I could afford a better gun. I know I can't get anything for it so I keep it as a loaner for the occasional non-hunter that I take with me.
Old February 26, 2007, 07:43 PM   #5
AAshooter

Donate it to one of your local Hunter Education Trainers. They are always great discussion items for the classes since most people have never seen a bolt action shotgun.
Old February 26, 2007, 08:10 PM   #6
ken w.

Is it a model 55 or a model 512 ? The model 512 is worth alot more than a model 55.A 512 would sell for around $275.00 here in N.Y.
Old February 26, 2007, 09:37 PM   #7
BUCKMARK

For maximum re-sale... post it in forums dedicated to 'turkey shoots' or X-cards.

A lot of guys are using the bolt actions in bedded McMillan stocks with built barrels for comp use.

Let's Roll!
Old February 26, 2007, 10:50 PM   #8
skeeter1

Quote:
We saw this same gun in crappy condition at a local shop for $359 which seems outrageous considering he bought his for $120.
I'm guessing that even in excellent condition, you're not looking at much beyond $150-175. There's not a whole lot of interest in bolt shotguns, mostly among the turkey hunters, and even then they prefer the 10-gauge.

List it on Gunbroker and see what interest it garners.
Old February 27, 2007, 12:14 AM   #9
The Gamemaster

One of my Uncles that I enjoyed hunting small game with has a J.C Higgins that is about twice as old as I am. ( probably made in the 1940's)
A 16 Gauge with a full choke barrel and clip..

He shot lot's of rabbits with that gun before he bought a Remington 870 Wingmaster shotgun.

He was principal at a local elementary school and one of his students asked him if he would like to buy the Wingmaster because it kicked too much.

I think he paid $75 for it.. Not a bad price in 1972 money....
It was a brand new gun.

I wonder what would happen today if a 12 year old kid brought his shotgun to school.. They arrested a teacher a few years ago that had one in her car.
She was moving from one apartment to a house that she had just bought and forgot that it was in the car. She almost lost her job!
Old February 27, 2007, 01:56 AM   #10
inkie

Buckmark has it right! Card or Block shooting matches are shot with reworked bolt action guns. If I was in your neck of the woods I would take it! I am hesistant on buying a used gun without checking it. Of course if you want to just send it to me as a gift I will pay the postage. lol . If the barrel is over 29" You can go to www.turkeyshooters.org I think you can list it somewhere otherwise just post.
Old February 27, 2007, 09:18 AM   #11
drhunta2

More detail

My borhter is going to get me the model and serial number. It was made in the 90's, it has a rifled slug barrel and has a detachable mag that is supposed to hold 2 shells and 1 in the chamber but it has never worked well. It holds 1 and 1. I will try to get more details.
Old February 27, 2007, 12:18 PM   #12
dfaugh

Very common around here, as entry-level deer gun (We must use shotguns for deer). Nothing wrong with that--no different than a bolt rifle. But you can usually find used ones for less than $100.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."