The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 1, 2002, 05:31 PM   #1
ocabj

mmc ghost ring sites for 870

i was debating mmc ghost rings for my 870. where can i get a set online and are there decent instructions online explaining the drilling and tapping methods for the receiver?

i kinda want to get another 870 to put ghost rings on so i can keep my first 870 stock (18" synthetic with 7 capacity)...
Old February 1, 2002, 08:14 PM   #2
SAWBONES

Ghost Ring Sights?

I've been seriously thinking of putting ghost ring sights on my Remington 870.

I've seen pix of the MMC variety, but the pictures only show a 3/4 view of the rear sight. Mostly you just see the protective "wings"; the actual annular sight isn't visible.

The Trac-Loc type offered by Scattergun Technologies is the other main type, and I've had a pretty good look at those.

Of these two, does anyone on the board own one or the other? Both are available from Brownells.

I'd appreciate any comments from those who own either of these.
Do the "wings" on the MMC type get in the way?
How big is the rear ghost ring aperture on either type?
How well do they work for accuracy with slugs at 25-50 yards compared to a bead front sight?

Thanks in advance.
Old February 1, 2002, 10:35 PM   #3
nsf003

What exactly are ghost ring sights?

Thanks,
nsf003

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old February 2, 2002, 03:17 AM   #4
Shotgun364

www.deltaforce.com Add "Wilson combat sights" to search engine. Its selling for $114.

When I purchased mine I chose to take it into a reputable gunsmith. I didnt want to mess up my shotgun with faulty drilling on my part. It was worth it for the peace of mind.

Last edited by Shotgun364; February 2, 2002 at 09:33 AM.
Old February 2, 2002, 08:22 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

GR sights, or their less publicized ancestor, peep sights, are a nice to have. Not an essential, much good work has been done with beads.

A coupla alternatives....

One, have a good smith mount a Lyman or Williams peep sight and a ramp and post front. Works very well.For that fast acquisition, remove the aperture.For benching with slugs,put the aperture back in. The smaller opening helps accuracy.

Or, if your 870 has the open rifle style sights, remove the rear sight, mount a peep, and live with that rear sight ramp. One of mine is set up like this.

Note, a strictly for HD 870 gains little from a GR setup. Mine get used for hunting also, so they have peeps. If I were just setting up a HD weapon, a bead would do. I prefer the versatility of the peep.

Another note, slug zero with GR/peep sights goes south when the bbl's taken off and on for cleaning. Once seroed, clean CAREFULLY from the muzzle with a wood rod, or use a Boresnake.

HTH...
Old February 2, 2002, 09:35 AM   #6
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
slug zero with GR/peep sights goes south when the bbl's taken off and on for cleaning.
You must be talking weapon specific. My 1201 with MMC GR Rear and Ramp Front hasn't changed zero. Still hits exactly the same.

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old February 2, 2002, 01:01 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Count your blessings, Ol' buddy. I'd guess 75% shift zero when this is done. None seem to go way off, but most shift 1-3" at 50 yds each way.
Old February 3, 2002, 06:53 AM   #8
cbjessee@NH

I'm having good luck with Ashley Pro Express sights - tritium front and back (www.ashleyoutdoors.com). In a recent night shoot, others sometimes had trouble with GRs in finding the rear hole, but did fine enough CQB - as long as they had a weapons mounted light. Holding that Surefire on a pump gun is tricky unless you've got big hands - it might be easier with a semi-auto. But I'll echo some good advice from senior members here that I've learned to follow - spend on a good gun, training and ammo, then add the mods as you see fit, trying out others' expensive toys before buying.
BRET
Old February 3, 2002, 09:02 AM   #9
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
had trouble with GRs in finding the rear hole
OK I've got a Tritium insert on my front sight. I've done low light work with my shotgun. When mounted porperly I am looking directly through my GR, every time.

Now, mind you, I'm not talking long range here, 15 - 25 yards, but shots were on target.

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old February 4, 2002, 02:36 PM   #10
bikeguy

all good info - but has anyone had any experience installing these things?