The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 1, 2013, 05:53 PM   #1
jchurchwell

How to choose a 1911

Help me out here people. I have an old AMT Hardballer, stainless, adjustable sights. I've had this thing for 20 years at least. It's only had maybe 500 rds threw it. Shoots okay with feed issues from time to time. (Probably the Mag)
Anyway, I was thinking of trading it in on something newer with a Match barrel. I've been looking at the Para 14-45, Remington 1911 R1 enhanced, Desert Eagle 1911, Sig 1911, and Taurus PT1911. I like them all, but also have issues with all of them. I need some good advise here please. Thanks, John.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Simplistic suggestion: "Colt."

Colt is pretty much at the top of their game, they have models covering the spectrum in both price and features, and they're Colts. There are very good 1911s available from the big three Philippine manufacturers for less than what a Colt will cost, but if you can afford a Para P14.45 you can afford a Colt.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:21 PM   #3
jchurchwell

Seems like you pay to much for the "COLT" name. Same thing with Kimber.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Colt or a Dan Wesson (if you aren't looking for a new one and can find one). If price were the issue id go with a Springfield.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Technosavant

Of the ones you listed, I'd go Sig first (have a Sig, love it, trying to get another), then Remington. The Taurus I had was accurate but unreliable. Para is ok, but I prefer Sig. As for DE's 1911, I just don't know enough about them.

I would also recommend looking into S&W and Springfield Armory (two others I've had good results with).
Old April 1, 2013, 06:40 PM   #6
erob3

Right out of the gate I'm going to go in a slightly different direction;
1911 9mm.

Through the years I have owned several 1911's in .45 caliber, even when ammo was available I felt it was too expensive compared to 9mm. When ammo becomes readily available again 9mm will be less than .45 like it used to be, that is unless you reload. I would encourage you to look at Rock Island, specifically the Tactical version. Right out of the box it's a very nice pistol and for the money very hard to beat.

I realize there are purists that will say the 1911 should only be a .45 and I respect that, but for me a 9mm is just fine. Hope that helps and encourages thought. Good Luck.

By the way, if you are absolutely wanting a .45 look into the Ruger SR1911 - one of the nicest 1911's in the price point you're wanting to be in.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Rford09

My dad has a full size sig, and my uncle has a commander size, zero issues with either. Not on your list but I have a, S&W e-series, Ruger Sr1911, and a Kimber Pro-Carry. All three are great guns, and have had no problems with any of them. All depends on what you want spend.

rob
Old April 1, 2013, 06:52 PM   #8
lamarw

There was an extensive thread on this same subject just a couple of weeks ago. You may want to go back and look for it.

Anyway, here is a link I provided then and will provide again hoping it will help;

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...u-1911-addicts
Old April 1, 2013, 07:09 PM   #9
jchurchwell

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the comments. The reason I'm not crazy about Colt and Kimber is , for example; Before Christmas when you could still buy ARs, at Walmart they had Bushmaster, Sig, DPMS, and Colt ARs, the sig even came with a very nice Sig scope, and it was still about $400 cheaper than a plain jane Colt AR. I just think you pay to much for the name sometimes. Also I forgot that I was also looking at a Springfield Range Master that I liked. My local gun shop said they would give me $450 in trade for my AMT. The main thing I like about the Para 14-45, besides the nice sights and match barrel, is the "14". Comes with 2 14 rd mags. Sweet! Trigger was kind of stiff though, and I tested 2 different ones at 2 stores. Heck, maybe I should just keep the AMT! But I love 1911s and I've got the itch!!! lol
Old April 1, 2013, 07:17 PM   #10
springer99

Wow, you only have around 500rounds thru it in 20years? I wouldn't even consider that broken in yet. In all honesty, if it were mine, I'd invest in a good BarSto match barrel and barrel bushing, fitted by a good 1911 GS. You won't find anything else that will match it for accuracy vs. $ spent. Shouldn't set you back more than 3 bills or so, I'd guess.
Old April 1, 2013, 07:19 PM   #11
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
Simplistic suggestion: "Colt."
Yup. Unless you are considering semi-custom and custom 1911s. While you might get by with one of the other models you are considering, the resale on the Colt will be higher; in the event that you want to "change it up" again in the future.

Also, if you want to have a good gunsmith work on one, some good smiths will not work on some of the manufacturer's 1911s that you have listed.

Plus, they are the original and the standard. I have a number of 1911s, Colts and Wilson Combat in various configurations/lengths. A double stacked mag does not a 1911 make. One of the finer points of the 1911 is the grip.

Now, go figure...
Old April 1, 2013, 07:38 PM   #12
jchurchwell

Yes, I can tell you're a colt guy. All I'll say is, when I shot in competition, I saw a few Colts around, but never saw one win anything at the meets I was at. It was always the guys shooting Springfield Armory 1911s. I'm not saying they are a bad gun! I just think they are over priced. That said, EVERYTHING that shoots is over priced right now!!!! Thanks for your reply. I will consider everything you said if I get a new one.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:25 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchurchwell
Seems like you pay to much for the "COLT" name.
I disagree, but it's your money. In my opinion, you get far more for the same money buying a Colt than you do from almost any of the competing 1911 brands.

What don't you like about the P14.45?
Old April 1, 2013, 08:29 PM   #14
bigkrackers

How to choose a 1911

Bought a S.A. Loaded a number of years back. Took some time and money to get it right but now it run great.

My next 1911 will be a Colt.
Old April 1, 2013, 10:46 PM   #15
Surgeon

Springer & Colt

i.e. unless you get into the up echelon of Wilson, NH, E. Brown
Old April 2, 2013, 12:07 AM   #16
BarryLee

I’m planning to get a new 1911 in the next few months and plan to go with a Colt. While I realize the basic 1991 Series may seem overpriced, however the XSE Series seems like a great deal to me.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 2, 2013, 03:59 AM   #17
ZIA

You probably can't go wrong with the Colt but you should definitely consider the Para. A friend of mine just got a Para Black Ops about a month ago & I had the chance to put a few rounds down range. It was one of the smoothest 1911s I've ever fired & I'm considering getting one, I just need to head back to the range and put a few more rounds through it before making a decision because they are kind of expensive. I think he paid around $1,300 with taxes.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:15 AM   #18
deckard

Get anyone you can afford.

There are lots of videos out there comparing 500 dollar 1911s to the more pricey 1k ones, with no difference in accuracy, and reliability.

Sure every brand has its issues, take all the complaints of any gun with a grain of salt.