The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2004, 08:08 AM   #1
deejaybee

Field reloading accessories

Dear All
I am living in the UK. No need, I am sure, to tell you of the pressures shooters are under at the minute.
I am hoping through the forum to be able to source what appears to be 'out of production' field hand reloading accessories for .410.
I am not in a position, nor really need, volume reloading kits.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Old December 3, 2004, 09:55 AM   #2
Long Path

Are you referring to something like the Lyman 310 "tong" tool? I can't find any .410 bore dies for it, though I do find .45 Colt dies.

I've seen where some take a bench press and mount it on a long piece of heavy steel, and then C-clamp them to the bumper or side of their pickup truck (Lorry to you, mate) bed in the field. I've never seen it done with shotshells, but I would suppose that the same principle could apply.
Old December 3, 2004, 11:53 AM   #3
Leftoverdj

DeeJay, you're in luck. What you need is a supply of brass cases, not a reloading kit. Several places supply them. In the US, Graf & Sons sells Magtech brand which are reloadable using rifle primers. When I was in need of a limited supply of .410s for training my son, I used .444 Marlin brass. Worked fine in my gun, but I am told that the rims may need to altered for other guns. That's a simple job if it needs doing.

Once you have a supply of cases, all you need is a punch to knock the old primer out, a way to get the new primer in, and a supply of components. I made up a cutter for overshot wads and sealed them with a drop of rubber cement. I measured my powder charge and shot with dippers from the Lee set, but I could have made up measures from fired cases.

It's been 15 years, but I seem to recall that I just used a standard recipe and shotcup for 2.5" .410 in my .444 Marlin cases. The rifle case is shorter, but no case is wasted on base wad or crimp so it works out. I never had to resize mine.