The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 9, 2000, 06:05 PM   #1
Foster

Would appreciate any comments/experiences on the Ashley Sights for auto applications. Considering changing from old irons on 1911's.
Thx.
Old February 9, 2000, 07:50 PM   #2
jfrancis

No experience with the Ashleys, but I recently had D.R. Middlebrooks install his VMAX sights (quite similar to Ashley) on my Kimber Classic. I really like them. Very fast to acquire, yet still accurate out to 35 yards (as far as I've tried them).

John Francis
Old February 9, 2000, 08:02 PM   #3
acp Mikey

I have the Ashley Big Dot Tritium sights on my CCO and love them. The gunsmith that customized the gun was not too keen on the idea, but after they were on he thought maybe they weren't too bad. They are very easy and fast to acquire a sight picture with. I am toying with the idea of putting them on a Browning Hi Power and my pocket nine.

------------------
acp Mikey
Old February 9, 2000, 08:49 PM   #4
One

I love these sites. I have been using them for approx. 8mos. I bought my first set of standard big dots for a Glock 27. After using them, I replaced the Mepros on my 23 w/ a big dot tritium. Shortly thereafter I acquired a 17 that I replaced the factory sites w/ the small dot tritium. After shooting the 17, I switched the front site of the 23 to a small dot tritium. For close shooting I find the small dot better for me. These sites are fast. I highly recommend them.

Be Safe
Mike
Old February 9, 2000, 08:54 PM   #5
KaliSIG

Foster,

I've shot a 1911 and SIG P220 with Ashley Express Tritium Big Dot sights. They were easy to use and extremely fast to acquire the sights. I've used Trijicon & IWI sights in the past, but am sold on Ashley Express sights. Hope that helps.

------------------
"No matter how deadly you may be, you must contain your art within the sphere of good motives against a background of peaceful intentions."
G.M. Ramiro U. Estalilla
Old February 9, 2000, 08:56 PM   #6
Jhp147

Hey, guys, I know those sites aren't to shoot groups with, but have any of you done an informal comparison of how much larger your groups are with the Ashley's than the regular ones? They really look like a great idea, but some folks have said they are imprecise at best. Again, I know that is not what they are for, but...

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7
Old February 9, 2000, 09:29 PM   #7
SAWBONES

I agree with Jhp147;
The Ashley Express sights are NOT for precision shooting. They're fast to pick up, no question, but you CANNOT align them as reproducibly-closely as standard sights. I have 'em on one of my H&K USP .45 Compacts, and I can't shoot it with anywhere NEAR the precision of any of my other guns. If you like precision, don't get them. If you want them just for poppin' off in the general vicinity of the X-ring, they're fine.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Old February 9, 2000, 10:25 PM   #8
One

I shot better at 25yds on two qualifications with the Ashleys, compared to my Mepros. I find these sites easy to pick up and even easier to hit with. Maybe its just me, but I won't use any other sighting system.

Be Safe
Mike
Old February 10, 2000, 03:29 AM   #9
KaliSIG

jhp147 & SAWBONES,

Personally, I shoot better & accurately with Ashley Express Sights. But just like guns, sights are a personal choice. A lot of people prefer Heinie's, Bomar's, etc. Try the Ashley Express Sights, you'll be impressed. Hope that helps.

Adrian

------------------
"No matter how deadly you may be, you must contain your art within the sphere of good motives against a background of peaceful intentions."
G.M. Ramiro U. Estalilla
Old February 10, 2000, 08:46 AM   #10
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Are they good?
Well - I got my Springfield Armoury TRP in the shop right now getting some Ashley sights installed right now. I dont like the Big Dot version - thats too big for me.
Give me another 20 years shooting and I may have to go to it.
Old February 10, 2000, 11:13 AM   #11
Foster

Thx gentlemen for your responses. Pinpoint accuracy is not my goal, but faster front site acquisition is my goal and from what I've read and heard here sounds like the Ashley sights are the way to go. I'm going to have them installed on 2 of my carry tools and will let you all know how I like them.
The desire for faster front acquisition came from actually trying my speed and hit ration at 7 yards and I was not pleased. In reality, adrenaline pumping, I may even be discouaged, to say the least. Now mind I am a descent shot, but desire to be better especially if the chips are down.
Old February 10, 2000, 12:30 PM   #12
Futo Inu

I have the AE Big Dot non-tritium on my G30 and like them a lot. I painted the white big dot neon yellow for quick acquisition. These sights are about perfect for a realistic CCW scenario, IMO, as they can also provide excellent accuracy out to about 15 yards.